Biggest Junior Clubs

Free Agent

Hello to junior fans. A couple of things, this isn't an attempt to start a barny and 'biggest' is really subjective. But I was looking to see who you as junior fans regard as the biggest clubs at the level? I only have a brief knowledge of Junior game and know obviously the Linlithgow Rose and Auchinleck Talbot of the world are up there but who would you have out with them in the east and West as the biggest clubs?

Just looking to further my knowledge. Cheers!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bo'ness, Pollok, Hurlford, Kilbirnie, Clydebank are all clubs with either big fanbases or clubs with a high spending. Hard to define what big is - is it facilities, history, fan size, money, squad, trophy list?

Thanks, mate. Probably any of those would put a club in with an argument.

In many ways I guess Clydebank are the biggest of all if you consider them a continuation of the senior league club.

Ur they really no ??

No they're not. East Kilbride has 2 teams. East Kilbride Thistle who are a junior side and play at the Showpark and East Kilbride FC who are in the Lowland League, play at K Park and are the team who played Celtic. The number of times I see people confuse the 2 is infuriating.

Back in the day Tranent would have been considered a big club in the east. There is potential there for them to be a big club again. Played against Whitburn in front of a crowd today of about 4-500. There hasn't been much success for the last 20 years but things are starting to look up.

There are many BIG clubs in Scotland , In my time in Junior football which started in 1980, I had a wee discussion with Davy Roy today against Linthgow Rose who was President in 1980 along with Frank Fraser from Tayside who inspected our park as part of our application into the SJFA in 1980.... 3 weeks after we played a friendly against the Rose winning 2-1. Davie showed me round the facilities. I said at the time that is where we want to be...now 35 years later we are nealry there..... I personally cant wait for the Linlithgow Rose to visit to New Central Park because it would be a great honour to bring Davie and Frank together again for that historic meeting in 1980 

No they're not. East Kilbride has 2 teams. East Kilbride Thistle who are a junior side and play at the Showpark and East Kilbride FC who are in the Lowland League, play at K Park and are the team who played Celtic. The number of times I see people confuse the 2 is infuriating.

Thanks for setting me right ... id've never have known that. I blame recently turning a significant birthday and forgetting all the times we've played at the Show Park. Is it Queens Park or Thirds then is that the answer ?

Krfc10 ... well done pal. You scored an early goal then defended very well for the entire game and rode your luck as well. Into the next round of the Euroscot Central League Cup. Congratulations. I'm pleased that you seem delighted.

At the same time you can say we were rubbish and aren't going up. Which is also fine. We're 9 points and 16 goals better off in the league than you ... that suits me grandly to be honest.

Whether we go up or not I can safely say that we've consolidated after a horrendous year last year and will - probably - avoid the fate of many an unfortunate who finds themselves relegated again and tumbles down the leagues.

Are we a big club ? Nope. We do not yet have a permanent ground ... we haven't won any of the major trophies ( in this incarnation ) despite coming close to both the cup and doing well in league. We have a good fanbase for this grade. Our away support has kept more treasurers happier than not which is nice. Importantly we've never been in a position where players were not paid what they were owed. Altho it's a struggle at times - esp during the winter - we've managed to pay our dues. That's without a sugar daddy, a car park to sell , a social club etc. We've come from nothing with no ground, team etc and competed at the top end of the junior game within a few seasons without a permanent home. I think we've done not too bad. Not perfect but we're well run and work hard and try to give visiting clubs a nice welcome with what we have at our disposal.

If things turn out as planned then we'll crack on and progress. If not then if it all had to end tomorrow then I'm quite proud of what we've managed.

Are we the biggest club in the Juniors ? Naw. Talbot and Lithgae are the 2 best run and deserve that accolade. Great folk involved as well ... ones that work hard to ensure they'll be around in 20 years and don't rest on their laurels. Decent stadiums, good facilities and a credit to themselves. So there's my considered answer to the op.

Krfc10 ... enjoy the rest of your weekend and the next round pal.

Archived