Most over rated actor.

Eckieboy

Might be controversial here but I'm going with Mark Rylance.

Overplays every part almost like he is trying to imitate how Kevin Spacey would play each the role, but without any of the subtlety.

Plus he insists on using weird accents.

He's so bad in The Gunman I surprised he wasn't considered for a part in thon OJ Simpson thing that has been bothering BBC2's schedule recently.

Rylance was simply phenomenal in Bridge of Spies. With an accent.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even shit actors can be brilliant in some cases. See schwarzenneger in terminator and terminator 2. Or Brad Pitt in seven. Or Stallone as rocky/Rambo.

It's when these actors are cast in different genres or something that requires them to "step out of their comfort zone" that shows how bad they are.

Edit to add: I don't even think any of them are overrated TBH. It's a tough question as I would say the majority of people can see how good/bad actors are.

Schwarzenegger was a revelation in Maggie and proved that there is more to him than lobbing grenades and being indestructable. I suspose it depends on the role. 

Tom Cruise, he never really inhabits a character, he always looks as if he's acting.

He has ruined several films for me, so I avoid his movies now.

On TV there's James Nesbitt who magnificently portrays James Nesbitt in every role.

I really don't like James Nesbit.

He ruined the TV adaptation of the brilliant book; 'Quite Ugly One Morning' by just being James Nesbitt. I was bloomin raging with his portrayal of Jack Parlabane and I don't just mean that he kept his own accent. It's like he didn't understand the character at all.

He ruined the TV adaptation of the brilliant book; 'Quite Ugly One Morning' by just being James Nesbitt. I was bloomin raging with his portrayal of Jack Parlabane and I don't just mean that he kept his own accent. It's like he didn't understand the character at all.

Damn, they made a TV version? Crackin book.

Is it really that bad just because of him?

Damn, they made a TV version? Crackin book.

Is it really that bad just because of him?

Yes and no. It's almost like they didn't understand the humour. Parlabane had to have been played by a Scot IMO because the colourful language he uses mixed with his cynicism was the basis of the book. Take that away and you've just got a jobby on a mantelpiece. 

I always feel like Robert Downey Jr has graduated to the level of box office drawing where range isn't really necessary any more. He always seems to play the same kind of handsomely smirking bawbag I could never tire of thwarting.

I always feel like Robert Downey Jr has graduated to the level of box office drawing where range isn't really necessary any more. He always seems to play the same kind of handsomely smirking bawbag I could never tire of thwarting.

One of the most bizarre Oscar nominations ever was Robert Downey Jr for Tropic Thunder. I honestly thought it was an elaborate joke. I think he's brilliant in some stuff though like Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang where his shtick suits the part.

Yes and no. It's almost like they didn't understand the humour. Parlabane had to have been played by a Scot IMO because the colourful language he uses mixed with his cynicism was the basis of the book. Take that away and you've just got a jobby on a mantelpiece.

How in the name of any deity or natural order could anyone read jack parlabane and go....'nailed it let's cast James nesbitt'????

Yes and no. It's almost like they didn't understand the humour. Parlabane had to have been played by a Scot IMO because the colourful language he uses mixed with his cynicism was the basis of the book. Take that away and you've just got a jobby on a mantelpiece.

Felt exactly the same when John Hannah was cast as Inspector John Rebus - no no no - Just so miscast - nothing against Hannah - decent actor but he was never John Rebus in a million years

Felt exactly the same when John Hannah was cast as Inspector John Rebus - no no no - Just so miscast - nothing against Hannah - decent actor but he was never John Rebus in a million years

You could imagine Rebus looking like Ken Stott though when you were reading the books.

Archived