Public Transport Etiquette

Romeo

tbf i dont think id have that much of an issue.

Yeah but if you are enough of a gobshite to be playing music for all to hear you will probably give a bit of lip to a stranger telling you off.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I threw a bottle of beer (had a small amount left in it) that was sitting at an empty table seat on the train in the bin today, assuming it had been left by someone who got off at Stirling. Turns out the guy was just away to the toilet and I had to apologise profusely for throwing his beer away. There was nothing to suggest anyone was sitting there so I thought the table was fair game. Apparently not.

He was quite sound about it, to be fair.

Passing my driving test was the best thing I've ever done. On the rare occasion that I use public transport I'm nearly cracking up by the end of the journey.

Randoms who speak to you. Some weirdo sat down across from me and a mate when there was spare seats and made a comment about the Indiana Jones box set peaking out my bag on the table. Quite possibly the rudest thing I've ever said to a stranger was "who the f&ck is this c&nt?"

I'm an antisocial p***k btw.

As one who regularly uses the London Underground, there are only two important rules:

1. Let the passengers off the train first

2. Give your seat to a pregnant wifey or older person.

I was in London for work for the first time in my life about 4 months ago.  I got on the Underground and the very first guy I saw (standing right at the wee single doorway bit of the train) was a guy who works in my office that I don't actually know but I always see in the canteen etc.

So, I thought I better acknowledge this guy as I am assuming he is also down here for work.  I gave a little nod as I walked up and said hello when I got close.  The c**t never even acknowledged me and went out of his way to ignore me and look away.

I have since bumped into the guy coming in/out of our office here and now always ignore him, don't make eye contact etc.  I mentioned this situation to someone in work the other day who knows the guy only to be told that the c**t in question has an identical twin brother who lives in London.

So now I don't think the guy is as much of a c**t as I thought.

If there are spare double seats available on train or bus don't sit next to someone. If you do you're a terrible person.

When coming back from London on the afore mentioned trip the train was empty and you could easily have had 2 or 4 seats to yourself.  I sat in the 4 around the table and spread my stuff out.  I just assumed no-one would sit next to me.

Ex SFA Chairman, Rangers director and all round dickhead Gordon Smith came and sat right in front of me.

I think I have mentioned this before but it should be socially acceptable to fully rubber folk on the train.

I work in Glasgow a few days a month. The 2 hours on train with a coffee and my podcasts is one of life's simple pleasures.

IF it's a good mate then fine. If you are my old boss from 5 years ago nod the head and jog on. Do not fucking presume to sit and talk to me all the way home.

Seething.

I think I have mentioned this before but it should be socially acceptable to fully rubber folk on the train.

I work in Glasgow a few days a month. The 2 hours on train with a coffee and my podcasts is one of life's simple pleasures.

IF it's a good mate then fine. If you are my old boss from 5 years ago nod the head and jog on. Do not fucking presume to sit and talk to me all the way home.

Seething.

Was there eye contact and furthermore, was there aggressive fingering?

Reading a book is an internationally recognised signal for "I don't want to make conversation." Planes, trains, automobiles...why do so many people have problems with this concept?

Top 10 from my time in Hong Kong -

1- Never moving to the back of the bus after getting on

2- Always sitting in the aisle seat and never the window when available

3- Never standing up to let someone past, just turning to the side

4- On subway, as soon as the doors open piling in...they even have painted arrows to help

5- Entering the bus with their umbrella still up then soaking everyone when they put it down

6- Bag on empty seat and pretending to be asleep

7- Belching - loudly.

8- Sitting on the stairs making going up or down impossible

9- Groups sitting in individual seats rather than together in 2's

10- Doing a shite on the platform (this was an isolated incident to be fair)

Utter c***s.

I saw a tramp take a shit on the metro in Paris, then proceeded to wipe his arse with a manky piece of newspaper that was on the floor. 2 girls screaming brought his antics to the attention of the fellow passengers on board, before everyone piled down to the opposite end. I couldn't help but watch and laugh, as my girlfriend was almost having a panic attack. I've never seen an entire carriage empty so quick at the next stop. I feel for the people waiting who got on.

Highly unlikely, but I hope that tramp reads this thread.

If you have a double seater to yourself and it's getting busy, sit on the window seat and leave the isle seat available for anyone who needs a seat.

If I get on a busy train I actively seek out the person who looks like they don't want anyone sitting next to them and sit there.

why not just ask the people playing music to stop? thats what id do? saying that I just dont use public transport.

I've never travelled by public transport until last year. I get the train every day now and when I started getting it I pulled everyone up for any infraction of decency- feet on chairs, sitting with bags on seats etc. When you are confronting someone every journey it just becomes added stress and you soon realise that you can never teach the world good manners by yourself

Unless it's ridiculous behaviour I now just try and ignore it for my own sanity.

If I get on a busy train I actively seek out the person who looks like they don't want anyone sitting next to them and sit there.

Good man - we would all ideally rather be sat alone but if you need a seat then you need a seat and people should oblige and not be arseholes.

I always find getting on a train when going on a long journey quite stressful, usually worry about there being too many people squashed in and not being able to get to the toilet or threat about walking in on people when going to the toilet.

Archived