Public Transport Etiquette

Romeo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As one who regularly uses the London Underground, there are only two important rules:

1. Let the passengers off the train first

2. Give your seat to a pregnant wifey or older person.

I'd add never speak to anybody and avoid eye contact at all times to that wee list.

If you have a double seater to yourself and it's getting busy, sit on the window seat and leave the isle seat available for anyone who needs a seat.

Say thank you to the bus driver.

Don't play music on your phone

Don't leave litter.

Don't put your feet up.

As a regular user of Lothian buses I see violations of these general acts of decency all the time.

As one who regularly uses the London Underground, there are only two important rules:

I'd add never speak to anybody and avoid eye contact at all times to that wee list.

Surely avoid looking Muslimy whilst muttering to yourself and making face washing gestures whilst trying to conceal a large object under your clothes.

Also if you're a Brazilian electrician don't jump over the ticket barrier. Definitely bad etiquette.

1. People that play music without headphones should be executed in the street by the police. No trial, just a summary execution. All they deserve.

2. People who repeatedly fart on public transport should suffer too. Let's called it a summary beating.

I saw a guy that was sat on the outside seat with his briefcase at the window during rush hour and some lady asked to sit there and instead of getting up, making eye contact or generally being a non arsehole he just picked up the briefcase, turned to the side and in she sat. He honestly looked at her like she was a piece of shit.

When the train or bus is crowded, you should remove your precious fucking bag from the seat beside you and let someone sit there.

I always take great pleasure in sarcastically asking if I can sit in the seat where their bag is. Wido's, man.

I saw a guy that was sat on the outside seat with his briefcase at the window during rush hour and some lady asked to sit there and instead of getting up, making eye contact or generally being a non arsehole he just picked up the briefcase, turned to the side and in she sat. He honestly looked at her like she was a piece of shit.

My briefcase is made of crocodile skin & is worth more than all her family together, if the Merc had been working I would not have had to touch a Lothian bus, stinky horrid machines full of unwelcome noises, smells & bacteria (the shitty one).

Btw nice to meet you Throb.

Oh & another thing what the F is the matter with the brakes on the bus, fuckin nearly toppled trying to get up to get off.

Grimbo

Don't have unnecessarily loud conversations on your phone, chances are the people around you don't give a f**k what you and your mate are speaking about.

I got on a not particularly busy bus one time and this girl was sitting near the back chatting away on her phone and discussing all sorts of personal things with the person on the other end. I was sitting near the front (where the auld folk sit) and could clearly hear as she described how she had a fight with her boyfriend and he was threatening to leave her cos he thought she was shagging around but she honestly wasn't and she would pretend to be pregnant if he left her, etc, etc.  Anyway as the bus neared the end of the 20 minute run into town she told the person on the other end that she was almost at the drop-off point and would meet up with her in a minute or so. It turns out she was meeting up with the girl she had been chatting to on the phone. I wondered why she had to inflict her private life on the other bus passengers when she could have told her face to face. Come to think of it they probably spent the evening in a club barely talking to each other with their faces stuck in their phones texting each other or other unfortunates.

If you can't go 20 minutes without using your mobile then you have serious behavioural issues.

Use deodorant, especially in summer.

If you're sharing a double seat and are on the aisle side, then move if a spare double becomes fully available.

Also, don't ding the Stop button when other folk already have for the same stop.

Don't talk about the weather.

Have your change / bus pass ready before greeting the driver.

Standing at the front of the bus and getting in the way of every single person getting on or off when there are perfectly good seats available should be a hanging offence. People in Edinburgh are particularly bad at this, I've seen drivers assume the bus is full and not let anyone else on when there's a good half dozen seats lying empty because of these puddle drinkers. 

Archived