Away allocations

With El Classico coming up this weekend, Sky Sports are building it up and showing you the Nou Camp with their banner display and belting out their club anthem in front of 90,000 Barca fans. Now there will be Real Madrid fans there but I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that they usually only number in the hundreds and are tucked well away from the pitch and cameras to be as ineffective as possible. It works vice-versa when Barca go to Madrid.

Then I think if the Celtic v Rangers games. In years gone by it used to be a 50/50 split of attendance regardless of venue. Then it narrowed down. Now it seems pretty set in stone that both clubs get around 7,000 tickets from the other for fixtures at one another's ground.

Do you think this makes for a better Derby atmosphere for these fixtures because there is a large travelling support and it goes back and forwards? Or do you think the idea of the El Classico would make it better where the away support was measured in the hundreds instead of the thousands?

The only time I can remember a game like this was when the Celtic fans were banned from Ibrox for the 1-1 draw (although many were there undercover) but it didn't even come across on the TV as good an atmosphere as usual. So going on just that, I don't think it'd be any good & prefer it the way it is but what do you guys think?

A lot of foreign leagues don't really have a tradition of large travelling supports.  Distance will play a part - reading a Season With Verona, Hellas Verona only took 100 odd fans to most games in the South.

I remember when Atletico won the title at the Nou Camp, there weren't many Atletico fans there at all, considering it was such a historic match.

It's more of a northern European tradition for away teams to bring fans. I think it's quite a big thing in the Netherlands - then again it's quite a small country.

I was in The Netherlands last season and took in 3 games at Ajax, Vitesse and Feyenoord and the away support for all 3 games was very small. PSV were one of the away teams (at Vitesse) and had well under 1000 there. Which I took as very surprising. I think in Holland though it's more to do with the fear of hooliganism and clubs/police actively discouraging fans on travelling. Fans are literally shipped in and shipped out. Which makes for a poor match day experience.

As for Spanish football away support in games I've attended has been between 20 and 150 for games I've seen. In Italy I've seen good away supports for teams like Juventus, Inter and AC for domestic games. Jet I've also seen Bologna play local derbies against Parma and there's been hardly any away fans at the game. Portuguese football seems similar. Seen games at Benfica and Sebutal and the away support was 100 and 10 respectively

Celtic Park with only a few hundred or no blue noses at all would detract from the atmosphere IMO, same at Ibrox with our allocation. Im not saying the songs are right or politically correct, a lot of them are most certainly not but it certainly 'ahem'....makes it lively when both sides are taking in turns to drown each other out.

Brilliant though the football is I think the big matches between Barca and Madrid lack a bit of atmosphere from a vocal away support. Its similar in Italy and Portugal, the tradition of a large away support is more a northern europe thing, England, Germany, Holland and ourselves have a big tradition of it whereas the meditarranean countries dont

I hope the gentlemens agreement in giving each other circa 7000 tickets carries on to the new Rangers when they come up. Atmosphere wouldnt be as good if it didnt

Celtic Park with only a few hundred or no blue noses at all would detract from the atmosphere IMO, same at Ibrox with our allocation. Im not saying the songs are right or politically correct, a lot of them are most certainly not but it certainly 'ahem'....makes it lively when both sides are taking in turns to drown each other out.

Brilliant though the football is I think the big matches between Barca and Madrid lack a bit of atmosphere from a vocal away support. Its similar in Italy and Portugal, the tradition of a large away support is more a northern europe thing, England, Germany, Holland and ourselves have a big tradition of it whereas the meditarranean countries dont

I hope the gentlemens agreement in giving each other circa 7000 tickets carries on to the new Rangers when they come up. Atmosphere wouldnt be as good if it didnt

I also prefer it when the likes of Aberdeen & Hearts come to Celtic Park for the simple fact that as well as getting a half-decent game, they bring a decent travelling support by Scottish standards.

The atmosphere at the Spanish cup final 2 years back I think when el Classico got played at Valencia ground was the best Spanish atmosphere I Have seen .... The mestailla was 60/40 split towards barca due to the location but it made for a far better game and occasion, not to mention bakes winning goal 👌ðŸ»

Old firm games need the away fans there it adds to the colour and atmosphere , at park head European games against English clubs are always best and the fact that there traveling support between 2,500/3,000 always helps the occasion

• 2 months later...

Very few Spanish games will have a large travelling support. Other than the cup final, as stated above.

I go to all our games, home away, or abroad, but I'd happily miss out the trip to Govan, if both teams agreed on having no away fans.

Obviously I could just not go, but that doesn't work & defeats the purpose.

Archived