"Black coaches held back in Scottish football"

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latapy stated that when playing for Hibs he was racially abused by the fans of a "Glasgow club".

He didn't say which club though.

It did seem a bit odd that in an article about racial discrimination he skirted around naming and shaming the actual club involved.

If we're racist then why did we appoint a black manager when we didn't have to?

Celtic were hiding the fact that they are a racist institution by employing a black manager. They can they say, " How can we be racist? We've employed a black manager!".

You fell for such an obvious deception.

Others haven't.

Russell Latapy was interviewed for the Alloa manager's job while still at ICT.  He then left us mid-preseason to 'find a manager's job in his own right'.  When have you ever heard of someone leaving a job in order to try and find another?!

Just going by the way he was talking there must have been a falling out, he denied it obviously, but why else would he leave ICT when they were on such a high?

Just going by the way he was talking there must have been a falling out, he denied it obviously, but why else would he leave ICT when they were on such a high?

Playboy life style and Brian Rice was kicking about... that man would make paint shopping seem fun

It's interesting that you always try and sweep these things under the carpet with dreadful attempts at humour.

I think that says a lot about the type of person you are.

Yawn.

Anyway I would have to admit that to read the headline and later find out Kevin Harper was involved in this latest racism debate and feels he has been unfairly treated shocked me so much that it has taken me a couple of days to recover and comment on the thread.......

On a serious note, it wasn't that long ago that the same nonsense was being bandied about down south. If you're qualified and competent doing your job, you'll have no issues whatsoever. Simple.

That's clearly not the case down south tho'. I can't recall the exact figures but it was somewhere in the teens, like 18% or thereabouts, of people doing their UEFA licences through the FA were minorities. So, taking away the argument the lack of visible black managers means less black players move into coaching, why is that amount of people taking the courses transferred to the amount of qualified coaches getting management positions?

Briane Deane's done all his badges and been a great success in Sweden but came out and said he's not even getting replies from National League level clubs.

As I said it's not about chairmen or directors actually thinking black coaches will fail due to their colour of their skin but there are clear hurdles involved for them.

Could it be that he's just a shite manager?

Plenty of white managers are rank awful but continually get jobs ( even tommy craig got a job in last cpl years). More often than is defendeable managerial appointments are not based solely on merit but on an old boy network / agent's contacts / look he shouts a lot on sidelines he must be good (known as the sherwood effect ). Is there deliberate racism involved.....probably not but its certainly present at a more subtle level. A rooney type law could only work if there was a formal interview process enforced but currently its a total mess the way managers are appointed. If there was a formal interview progress you probably wouldn't need a rooney rule as it would make the cronyism more difficult.

It's interesting that you always try and sweep these things under the carpet with dreadful attempts at humour.

I think that says a lot about the type of person you are.

Yawn indeed.

Would you prefer I personally apologise on behalf of every Celtic fan on the planet. You seem to forget, your trolling tactics don't work on me.

What type of person does that make me in your opinion?

A rooney type law could only work if there was a formal interview process enforced but currently its a total mess the way managers are appointed. If there was a formal interview progress you probably wouldn't need a rooney rule as it would make the cronyism more difficult.

I think the Rooney Rule, as devised by Kick It Out, stated if a job was advertised or if more than a certain number of managers were spoken to (think it was three) then an ethnic minority candidate would need to be interviewed (assuming there was an application from one). If a club were to sack a manager with one already lined up, for instance, it wouldn't be an issue.

But for it to work properly there would need to a formal way to go about the managerial process... which wouldn't be a bad thing anyway

Archived