"Black coaches held back in Scottish football"

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to laugh at Kevin Harper saying "I've applied for at least 10 jobs in Scotland and I've had two responses," revealed the 40-year-old. "I'm new into it but to only get two responses and not even get an interview, I think there's a real issue."

I'm experienced in my field and I doubt I'd get 2 responses or an interview from 10 applications. 

Football people live in another world.

Blacks aren't getting a fair crack of the whip (pun not intended) in a few sports, what about black swimmers? Not talking about what's dribbling out yer maw but actual swimmers, never seen one that's quick. I do of course mean across the water and not downwards with concrete feet, just for clarification.

Come to think of it, don't think I've ever seen a black swimmer. That's not being racist either, you just don't seem to get black swimmers for some reason.

Absolute nonsense. John Barnes had his dig at Celtic for being dismissed & put it down partly to him being black.

If that was the case then why did they appoint him in the first place as I'm sure he was still black before he got the job. The reason he got the sack was because despite having players like Viduka, Petrov & Larsson at his disposal he was a useless manager.

I think it may be more of an issue in England why there are so few black managers but up here there isn't a large black community...although that is changing. This is noticeable in the amount of black players we have in the Scotland national team now and through the years. So it stands to reason there won't actually be many black managers applying for managerial positions.

I'd like to think that all Scottish clubs would interview candidates on ability, experience etc etc & not on their colour, religion or race.

That's nonsense about Barnes. Celtic sacked him cos they're racist IMO.

Come to think of it, don't think I've ever seen a black swimmer. That's not being racist either, you just don't seem to get black swimmers for some reason.

Eric the Eel

post-21687-14593742286223_thumb.jpg

Mark Lawrenson at the last Euros saw a guy in a black morph suit and said "that's Eric the Eel isn't it?"

Equally, how many white sprinters do you see.

According to the 2011 census only 1.32% of the Scottish population is 'African', 'Caribbean', 'Black', 'Mixed Race' or 'Other'... 'Asian' accounts for 2.66% and 'White' for 96.02%... Even allowing for corrections upward relating to age groups, holding of professional sports careers, etc. (ethnic minorities have higher birth rates, a younger age profile and are disproportionately highly represented in current full-time teams across UK)... if 6% of coaching course participants in Scotland are black that's several times above what you'd expect.

On 1.32% population share, you'd expect 0.99 of a manager across SPFL, Highland & Lowland leagues to be black. There is at least 1 black manager in LL. I don't know about HL.

Latapy previously said he'd only manage full-timers, IIRC. He was interviewed in The Scotsman about it all some months back. You wouldn't particularly expect to go from assistant at Premiership or Championshop clubs, to managing Premiership or Championship clubs.

Harper was coaching at Airdrie but quit for non-footballing reasons? You wouldn't necessarily expect to go from coaching at SPFL1 club, to managing SPFL1 or SPFL2 clubs.

It'd seem both could be down to reasons other than race.

Russell Latapy was interviewed for the Alloa manager's job while still at ICT.  He then left us mid-preseason to 'find a manager's job in his own right'.  When have you ever heard of someone leaving a job in order to try and find another?!

Skimming through, and initially read the thread title as "Dave Coaches held back in Scottish football". Oh how I laughed.

On a serious note, it wasn't that long ago that the same nonsense was being bandied about down south. If you're qualified and competent doing your job, you'll have no issues whatsoever. Simple.

Apparently it's because black people have heavier bones and this makes them poorer swimmers. No idea then how they tend to make the best runners.

Archived