"Black coaches held back in Scottish football"

This may be rubbish - someone could check easily enough by looking at the most recent 2 to 3 managers at each Premiership and Championship club - but I always imagine that people who end-up managing professional clubs here have achieved a certain level of proficiency as player or coach. Such as international caps, captaining their club, done well managing a part-time team (perhaps after being assistant at a professional club), and so on. Ultimately there won't be many who've done that and settled here. Indeed there aren't many black players full-stop.

I'd have been surprised if Latapy said he couldn't get a managers job at a part-time SPFL club, in HL or LL - similarly I'd be surprised if Harper couldn't get a job in the non-leagues. But it seems Latapy wants full-time and Harper wants SPFL?

Claude Anelka wasn't a professional player before he became our manager, neither were some of his signings. Raith Rovers, champions of inclusivity and equal opportunities.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what can be concluded here is that Celtic Football Club hate black people, which has been proven time and again.

The article states Barnes was the only black man to have managed in Scotland.  As pointed out Claude Anelka has been a manager since then and out of memory, did Livingston not have a black manager?  Might be wrong on that, but sure they had a Brazilian boy about 2006.

The lack of fact checking shows the inherent racism from the BBC IMO.

I for one would take a black disabled female as manager of us if she could take us forward and win something. If not she could go and f**k herself.....

Actually she probably couldn't if she is as you've described...

Why should ethnic minority managers be guaranteed interviews, but not (for example) female managers, disabled managers, etc.?

These areas are already catered for in the Scottish game HibeeJibee...

post-1545-14595002613614_thumb.jpg

post-1545-14595002766074_thumb.jpg

I think there is no underlying racism in Scottish football. Don't think it's too much of a problem outside of football either. Sure you do get the odd racist here and there but I personally haven't seen much in my lifetime and that's even with one of my best mates being mixed race.

What? I don't have mates? Or, he isn't tinted?

JQB7k.gif

Just going by the way he was talking there must have been a falling out, he denied it obviously, but why else would he leave ICT when they were on such a high?

Even before he left there was always talk that wasn't particularly dedicated to the job, with talk that he would often turn up late for training if he did at all and his influence when he was there was minimal.  The whole story has never really come out and it was always thought from the start that Brian Rice would have come with Yogi at the start had he been available, but I did hear on the grapevine that it was Hughes who asked Latapy to leave and the 'looking for a job' story was brought out to save face.  No idea how true that all it is, but putting two and two together, I wouldn't be surprised if there's something in it.

The article states Barnes was the only black man to have managed in Scotland.  As pointed out Claude Anelka has been a manager since then and out of memory, did Livingston not have a black manager?  Might be wrong on that, but sure they had a Brazilian boy about 2006.

The lack of fact checking shows the inherent racism from the BBC IMO.

Someone said Montrose had a black manager too some time ago. If they actually mean 'Senior football' then Edinburgh Uni in LL has one currently.

Was he not replaced by chris Coleman, another black manager who hasn't done bad for himself internationally.

Chris Coleman is black!!? That'll be a shock for his missus!!😧😧

That's clearly not the case down south tho'. I can't recall the exact figures but it was somewhere in the teens, like 18% or thereabouts, of people doing their UEFA licences through the FA were minorities. So, taking away the argument the lack of visible black managers means less black players move into coaching, why is that amount of people taking the courses transferred to the amount of qualified coaches getting management positions?

This was already exposed as likely rubbish in the year-old Misc Football Chat thread on this topic, starting at this post.

Long story short, the number of black players/black population -> black people taking UEFA licences -> black people in managements is roughly consistent and in proportion. As this doesn't fit the 'systemic racism' narrative that the advocates want, they fiddled the numbers by lumping together all non-whites into a single ethnic minority group (BME).

4.6% black population vs. 3.4% black coaches

...became...

14.3% BME population vs. BME 3.4% coaches.

Incredibly deceptive considering that the non-black part (e.g. Indians, Chinese) of the BME group is barely involved with UK football.

This was already exposed as likely rubbish in the year-old Misc Football Chat thread on this topic, starting at this post.

Long story short, the number of black players/black population -> black people taking UEFA licences -> black people in managements is roughly consistent and in proportion. As this doesn't fit the 'systemic racism' narrative that the advocates want, they fiddled the numbers by lumping together all non-whites into a single ethnic minority group (BME).

4.6% black population vs. 3.4% black coaches

...became...

14.3% BME population vs. BME 3.4% coaches.

Incredibly deceptive considering that the non-black part (e.g. Indians, Chinese) of the BME group is barely involved with UK football.

Darren and Derek Young?

Even African sides would rather appoint Bobby Williamson than other African managers. Maybe they just aren't cut out for football management? Cameroon, Nigeria, Ivory Coast all done similar. That can't be because they are racist.

You'd be surprised then. I've spent a bit of time in sub-Saharan Africa and white people are generally thought of as more competent and more worthy of respect. I would certainly fancy my chances of getting a job over better qualified African candidates in West Africa, be it coaching football or stocking shelves.

Similarly, when I moved to the States I was getting picked first at football by virtue of being Scottish before anyone had seen me kick a ball (that was a while ago now, mind you).

Similarly, when I moved to the States I was getting picked first at football by virtue of being Scottish before anyone had seen me kick a ball (that was a while ago now, mind you).

Well that's just silly. Scottish people are shite at football.

Archived