BTCC 2016 Official Thread

lionel hutz

The new BTCC season starts this weekend on the Indy circuit at Brands Hatch. I'm not really an avid viewer of the sport but do keep track from a far. 

Hoping for Gordon Shedden to win the title but I think the new Subaru will provide a test to the Honda's.

I'm tempted to go to Knockhill in August because I've never been before and this is probably the last year I'll be living near Fife.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a time to be alive! Another BTCC fan starting a thread on P&B

Aye, so this is about as big as football for me. Doing Knockhill and Croft this year as well as ASI in January - did the same last year - and hoping to do Donington or Oulton next year.

Knockhill is probably the best track in the UK for viewing the cars up close, Croft is similar as is Oulton, but Knockhill's the best!

It's going to be fascinating to see how the Levorg's do, it'll be the first car BMR have developed and appears to be very, very late with doubts still remaining over whether or not all 4 will get out at Brands - not that JP sounded worried on TTT last night. If anybody can ring the neck of an undeveloped touring car it's him - just look at the work he did with the utterly rancid MG6 during it's debut season.

The best news of the pre-season for me was Dan Welch moving back to the TOCA engine after the failed development of his own unit. Dan's a top guy, and his team are one of the hardest working and smallest in the paddock, so the last two years have been murder watching him pootle around at the back.

Who will win it? The odds must be on Shedden, even with the new engine in the Type-R which sounds sensational. Plato is always strong however, as is Turkington in RWD but who knows how the Levorg will turn out. It's engineered by Carl Faux, and he's an absolute genius.

I'd love to see Motorbase win it, either Jackson or Jordan, but I don't think the car has as much of an advantage as it had during their part season last year.

I wouldn't put it past Sam Tordoff as an outside bet...

Anyway hoping for some regular points finishes (maybe more) for Welch, Rob Austin and Jake Hill. The latter has the potential to be a very, very good driver in the series and I'm delighted he's finally got a full-time entry to prove it! Was great to see Rob up the top end at Media day as well, he appears to have adapted fine to FWD.

If you've got any questions I'm a complete anorak when it comes to the BTCC so just fire away!

I'm more like the first poster, I keep an eye on the BTCC but don't really make a point of watching every race. Always enjoy it, so will make a bit more of an effor this year.

Always go to Knockhill and have been to Croft too, think I'll be camping at it this year so hopefully get a decent weekend. What are the chances?

Hoping Shedden can win it again for obvious reasons but failing that would be great to see Mat Jackson win, doesn't seem to be a spoiled brat like the rest of the field.

Disappointed the Subarus haven't been painted blue and yellow, perhaps a trick missed there! Would imagine they'll be fairly quick with Plato and Turkington in them.

Would be great if Shedden won again, the last race of last season was incredible and far more gripping than any F1 I watched last season. It'll be interesting to see how Motorbase do, as Sonsteam says they had a huge advantage when they turned up last season as they didn't have weight penalties and Jackson was flying.

I'm a bit wary of going back to Knockhill unless they've sorted the parking. I went in 2014 and getting out was an absolute shambles, think it was two hours after the last race before we escaped. I'm not expecting to be on the motorway in five minutes but that was taking the piss. I did a driving day there a few years ago and made an arse of it, although at least I didn't go off!

I was about to ask about Knockhill. I (with much internal shame) have never been to Knockhill and was planning to go for the BTCC or the British Superbikes since some idiot gave me a licence. Is it that bad with regards to parking?

It's usually not too bad. Getting in is easier the earlier you are. Getting out can take a wee while as you'd expect but no worse than normal for these things. 2014 was the only time in about 10 trips I've had major problems.

I was about to ask about Knockhill.  I (with much internal shame) have never been to Knockhill and was planning to go for the BTCC or the British Superbikes since some idiot gave me a licence.  Is it that bad with regards to parking?

Parking is okay for the BSB, atrocious for the BTCC.

Bar karting tracks is there any other racing circuits in Scotland other than Knockhill?

No circuits for car racing, East Fortune for bikes.

There's a few sprint and hillclimb tracks. Doune in Stirling and Kames in Muirkirk are ones that I'm at quite often at, also the Bo'ness revival once a year which, if you're into historics, is a brilliant day out. A couple of others up north as well.

If you're into short oval racing then there's Cowden and Lochgelly in Fife.

Crail Raceway also has a few sprints and rallies on I think, certainly did a few years back.

Basically if you lot hard enough, and don't focus solely on circuit racing, there's plenty of grassroots motorsport on here!

Seriously?

Aye. I genuinely rate Sam highly, I certainly think he'll be the highest of the WSR drivers this year. Collard's qualifying and brash on track attitude will continue to haunt him, whilst Goff will have to adapt to a RWD touring car for the first time.

An outside bet, aye, but I'd put him at the same odds as Mat Jackson for example.

Aye. I genuinely rate Sam highly, I certainly think he'll be the highest of the WSR drivers this year. Collard's qualifying and brash on track attitude will continue to haunt him, whilst Goff will have to adapt to a RWD touring car for the first time.

An outside bet, aye, but I'd put him at the same odds as Mat Jackson for example.

We'll have to agree to disagree then because I think Tordoff is absolute mince. Been in one of the fastest cars for what 2-3 years? And he's done absolutely nothing. Behind Plato, Collard is my most hated driver, absolute c**t.

We'll have to agree to disagree then because I think Tordoff is absolute mince. Been in one of the fastest cars for what 2-3 years? And he's done absolutely nothing. Behind Plato, Collard is my most hated driver, absolute c**t.

Has he though? The MG6 is not a great car, in fact it's lightyears behind the Civics and BMWs which dominated the Championship when Tordoff drove it. The only reason Plato got results was that he is the best in the business at forcing the absolute maximum out of a car.

Tordoff got more out of the MG than Jordan last year, despite playing very much second fiddle to Plato. Although obviously than division in Triple Eight last year hardly helped AJ.

Last year was an adaptation year for him, with his previous RWD experience being in PCCGB which is pretty dramatically different. The car's been improved over winter, but not drastically altered, and with Honda switching engines and BMR to completely new cars I can see the continuity working well for them.

I once met Collard in the toilets at Knockhill. He stood in the middle between me and my brother, so aye, he's definitely an oddball.

There used to be a track at Ingliston at the Royal Highland Show ground on the outskirts of Edinburgh. Seems they have revival meetings occasionally: http://www.ingliston.co.uk/

Forgot they had the revival last year actually, my Dad fancied going as he loved the track when he raced there in the 80s (won a race too you know!) IIRC it was the same weekend as an SMRC meeting at Knockhill so we didn't go.

Would be great to get a second track back, although it'd take a lot to get Ingliston up to modern MSA standards, and I can't see that happening too soon :(

https://youtu.be/4gOLASCbDxE?t=52s

Never been to the BTCC at Knockhill for a few years now. Went to about the first dozen or so. It was a long day out. Use to park at the old brickworks down the road and get a shuttle bus to the circuit. Not so bad getting in, but getting out! Time you queued for the bus, then hit the traffic , took about 4 hours to get 125 miles home. Use to go to Donington, which was a weekend away, and Croft which wasn't to bad as racing couldn't start until 12 o'clock. Only 5 miles longer to Croft from where I stay.

With live coverage on ITV4, i've got my interest back, hopefully get to a meeting this year. The racing for a few's years seemed a bit like stockcars, but the standard seemed to improve last year.

Hope "Flash" will do it again this year. Can't really be doing with Plato or Matt Neal. Hopefully Aiden Moffat will be running a bit closer to the front of the field. As for "Andy" from Emmerdale, if some of the birds from Emmerdale turn up at the races, i'll definatly have to go to a meeting.

When did Ingliston close as a circuit? I was at a meeting there in 1993, can't remember if that was the last year or not. Am sure after the meeting the barriers and Armco were dismantled, the Highland Show went ahead then the Armco was put back in place for the next car meeting. This happened every year.  This weekend just happens to be the DCC Ingliston stages rally, but it is a non-spectator event.

It's usually not too bad. Getting in is easier the earlier you are. Getting out can take a wee while as you'd expect but no worse than normal for these things. 2014 was the only time in about 10 trips I've had major problems.

Parking is okay for the BSB, atrocious for the BTCC.

Cheers, may just go for the BSB rather than the BTCC then.

It's here! The Levorg's broke cover last night and sound pretty awesome, finally Tesco/Silverline being applied pretty much as we speak, as the cars were only just completed on time. 80 days Warren Scott said yesterday...to build 4 cars. Sensational effort from BMR. There might be teething problems at first, but a Carl Faux designed car should be about as good as your going to get in the paddock for a first run.

Live Timing - here: http://livetiming.tsl-timing.com/161303(new for 2016 circuit comms integrated in the timing screen)

FP1 - 10:00

FP2 - 12:45

Quali - 15:40 (Live on ITV BTCC website, coverage starts at 15:30)

Prediction time:

Pole: Shedden

R1: Shedden

R2: Jackson

R3: Goff

Tingram tops FP1, and my boy Tordoff FP2. Subaru's running well for their first time, Aron Smith going well for BKR too.

Decent start to the season. Doesn't look like BMR have managed to hit the ground running quite as quickly as they did last season. 

Battle in the final race looked exciting but passing at Brands is always a bit dodgy. Knew a good five or six laps from the end it was only changing if someone threw it off the circuit.

That was a cracking day of racing, action throughout the field, and 32 (for some part) competitive cars - without the Infinitis or Protons trundling round miles off the pace - was great to see.

Have to say I can't see past Shedden or Neal for the title. But it's very early days and a lot can (and will) change. BMW look strong again however, and will give them some fierce competition.

Delighted for Tingram getting his first win, even if the rest of his weekend was a disaster, and I thought a few rookies did well too. Sutton is the obvious one, but Matt Simpson was on the pace and not afraid to get his elbows out - without punting anybody off - pleasantly surprised by Epps too who was there or thereabouts having came from nowhere. 

Great to see Welch being competitive again, and reminding everyone how decent a driver he is. Likewise Jake Hill, who was very unlucky with a failure and then being punted off when some decent finishes looked on the card.

Austin and Abbott don't seem to have struggled adapting to FWD, decent performances from both, especially Austin from 31st in R2.

Subarus got consistently better as the weekend went on, and Aron Smith looks like he'll thrive in the No.1 driver role with BKR. 

Adam Morgan, the Motorbase duo and Aron Smith will ensure this years independents trophy is fascinating. 4 similar drivers in terms of results, and I'm looking forward to watching that battle heat up.

Bring on Donington!

Archived