Striking Options

kenny131

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhodes not even in the Boro squad for the Sunderland game today. Worrying. Don't think he's injured either.

ETA: Seems he's about to be sold: http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-fc-striker-jordan-rhodes-11778906

Would be good if an EPL side took a chance on him (i.e. bought him to play him). If he goes back to the Championship that's as good as writing off his chances of ever breaking through at the top level.

The defence of Fletcher, or more to the point the system which apparently falls to f**k without him, is something of a self-defeating prophecy. The chance creation is next to non-existent if he is the only outlet, and as for the ball staying when it gets pumped to him, even if that worked, it completely ignores what the other options bring to the table. 

Two years ago we were told we had the 'best squad in years' of middle to front players......Brown chucks it, and the place is in chaos about who'll do whatever he did before.......and we still perservere with a complete lump of wood at number 9. Clearly, that was shite. 

The treatment of rhodes from Middlesbrough has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Hope they go straight back down.

Just seems wasteful imo - to not even try him at this level. Bit of a lack of honesty in there if they didn't tell him they didn't rate him as an EPL striker when they signed him.

1 hour ago, Officer Barbrady said:

The defence of Fletcher, or more to the point the system which apparently falls to f**k without him, is something of a self-defeating prophecy. The chance creation is next to non-existent if he is the only outlet, and as for the ball staying when it gets pumped to him, even if that worked, it completely ignores what the other options bring to the table. 

Two years ago we were told we had the 'best squad in years' of middle to front players......Brown chucks it, and the place is in chaos about who'll do whatever he did before.......and we still perservere with a complete lump of wood at number 9. Clearly, that was shite. 

I get your point, I think it's a bit of the chicken and egg scenario with why Strachan chose that system. Is he playing that system because of Flecher? Or is Fletcher playing because of that system?

I think with him dropping down a level Strachan will feel less obliged to play him, and with the system ultimately failing last campaign he'll hopefully consider alternatives.

1 hour ago, F_T_Y said:

The treatment of rhodes from Middlesbrough has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Hope they go straight back down.

How? They won promotion and as I type they are about to have 2 wins out of 2 in the Premier League. If Rhodes can't get himself into the team that is because he isn't good enough.

Edit: 4 points out of 6! Not 2 wins from 2. Points stands :lol:

Disgraceful that Middlesbrough aren't picking Rhodes just because they have someone better in his position.

Don't think anyone's saying he should start ahead of Negredo, just that he should at least get a chance at some point from the bench or when Negredo is rested or whatever. It's the fact he's been bombed out completely that is so disappointing - means we will be left waiting and wondering if he can cut it at this level (been asking that question for nearly 5 years now tbf, so perhaps the answer is simply 'no')

(been asking that question for nearly 5 years now tbf, so perhaps the answer is simply 'no')

Yeah the simple answer is the right one. He was bought by Karanka to help get them promotion.

He did cause he's a very good Championship player. Now he needs to go back to the championship to get some football. He is English footballs John Baird.

Don't think anyone's saying he should start ahead of Negredo, just that he should at least get a chance at some point from the bench or when Negredo is rested or whatever. It's the fact he's been bombed out completely that is so disappointing - means we will be left waiting and wondering if he can cut it at this level (been asking that question for nearly 5 years now tbf, so perhaps the answer is simply 'no')

What's he like in training? Anyone know?

If he's not been tried at all at this level then maybe his attitude isn't helping?

I just don't see anything that constitutes 'disgraceful treatment' from boro.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

If he's not been tried at all at this level then maybe his attitude isn't helping?

Nugent got on as sub in boros 1st game and he is mince. He was on 40k a week Blackburn so I would imagine they will want to get him off the wage book now they have negredo and stauni to maybe strengthen else where.

Reports suggest he was right on his game in preseason (and scored 5 in 5). Attitude wise he is always spoken of very highly.
I see on twitter people saying his Grandad passed away and that he is just on compassionate leave. Wonder what Karnaka will say to this post match.
Either way, not a chance he'll be in Strachan's squad for the Malta game (announced on Weds I take it?)

Nugent got on as sub in boros 1st game and he is mince. He was on 40k a week Blackburn so I would imagine they will want to get him off the wage book now they have negredo and stauni to maybe strengthen else where.

Your first sentence just shows you up as either really young or really thick.

Archived