Wage cut turned down by Meadow players

TheMeddaPie

Chairman initially denied to keep in house, proposals rejected and nothing to be gained from airing publicly.

That seems incredibly naive to me. You can't seriously expect to hold a conversation with an entire squad of players and not anticipate that it would be in the public domain within a very short time. If you want or need your supporters to help you out, it seems to me that being very straight with them is really important. That means sharing bad news and good news so they know where they stand. If you're only going to tell them the good stuff there is a risk you lose trust. Again, I'd be expecting those running my club to be having these conversations and I'd be wanting to know the outcome so i had all the facts.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my point of view it isn't about large scale external investment, we've been there, done that. Our current predicament is the legacy of spending money we didn't generate or couldn't afford.

But when this story broke the talk was of big investors waiting in the wings who wanted to see that the supporters were onside and committed. So this is still about large scale external investment is it not? If it's not, where did that story come from and what happened to turn off that funding avenue?

I still think the players must have reasons for acting collectively here. There would normally be some who could absorb a cut comfortably whilst others couldn't. In the case of the latter it would be wrong to judge them badly.

C'mon, let's not be naïve here.

The mercenaries​, oops sorry. players. are refusing a pay cut and the transfer list because they know that if the club cannot make their contractual liabilities, then said contract will be broken. Players will become free agents and able to walk away and negotiate improved terms with another club because that club would have no transfer fee to pay out.

Most of the players will be free agents at the end of the season anyway. If they become free agents after Wednesday they can't sign for another Junior club this season.

Most of the players will be free agents at the end of the season anyway. If they become free agents after Wednesday they can't sign for another Junior club this season.

Yep, I was just about to post that reply as well. The players only have till the 31st March to find new clubs or they're staying with Meadow to the end of the season.

They still can't play anywhere else than Meadow if they moves clubs after the 31st March.

Ok. I wasn't aware of that, but now I am. (Got it after the first telling didn't need 3).

But I'm assuming that some of the players would be on longer term deals than 1 season at a time.

But even those that end this season would still be entitled to walk if their contracts weren't being honoured.

Would you stay in your job if the wages weren't being paid?

I know it's been mentioned on the other thread but I can't be the only one thinking this. Is there any realistic chance of the two Irvine clubs amalgamating? Or if not would they ever ground share? What's the thoughts of the supporters on these?

Midweek games start soon so less expensive 4g required for training.Hard to see the Medda faithful get behind the players on Sat, would have thought 10% was well palatable

Say there's another 10 weeks to go, 10% cut is being asked to give up one week's wages to help out the club.

They've every right to tell Medda to get stuffed - they signed for the club thinking they were getting £xxx per week and not having to travel for training. But at the same time, how can supporters give their backing to players that aren't prepared to give up one week's wages to help save the club.

I know it's been mentioned on the other thread but I can't be the only one thinking this. Is there any realistic chance of the two Irvine clubs amalgamating? Or if not would they ever ground share? What's the thoughts of the supporters on these?

Nothing to gain by amalgamating for Vics anyway. Vic's are not a rich club but are well run and have a proud history. If they were the only club in Irvine, they would perhaps benefit from increased crowds and sponsorship.

Ground share is perhaps different, pretty sure Vic's would accommodate Medda if they are nice to them.

Say there's another 10 weeks to go, 10% cut is being asked to give up one week's wages to help out the club.

They've every right to tell Medda to get stuffed - they signed for the club thinking they were getting £xxx per week and not having to travel for training. But at the same time, how can supporters give their backing to players that aren't prepared to give up one week's wages to help save the club.

When you consider that Medda are existing on money given by supporters now, not sponsors, the fans have every right to be upset they won't forego a few quid.

Just a thought, should clubs, as members of SJFA, be required to show audited acounts at the end of each season to confirm that they are in a fit and proper state to continue as members of SJFA?

Debt could be relative to income and ability to pay. Thoughts

Just read through this thread and I can't feel sympathy for anyone but the fans in this.

Imagine you'd put your hand in your pooch to help out the club you already support financially on a weekly basis, only to discover that the committee are keeping secrets from you. Not only that but the players who have failed you so far, won't make any concession.

I know we should all show loyalty to our club but I'd want a match put to the place.

They are under contract and can't be forced to go, given they have rejected a 10% pay cut you'll probably find the contracts on offer at the other clubs don't match the ones they are on!

Got to say though 10% is feck all and the Medda fans must be disgusted the players have turned this down, at the end of the day just about the full squad will have full time jobs on top of their footy money , which essentially will be pocket money for most, very sad state of affairs for the club.

I totally agree wits 10% really. Ma point was these players aren't hanging around 2 help medda out there hanging around cos medda r still 1 of the best payers in the juniors even in this mess. Sooner this season ends the better for them. Next season try live within ur means

Mon the papers

You only need to look at the player s at medda,s disposal,,,,they, have a lot of quality player s,,who would get a game at most, super premier teams,,, but the players, really have to look at themselves,,to actually sit down n say,, am I doing enough for Irvine medow or am I going through the motions,,not to get injured, so it doesn't harm me for leaving,,,a don't know much wages the player s are on,,,so can't comment on wit they would lose, if they took pay cut,,,,,,but am sure every player that a been at the medda, for a couple of years, has been well looked after,by medda,,,,,so for me the player s are being greedy,n selfish, demanding full pay ,, they should be ashamed to take there money with winning only one league game this season,,,,,as for committee,, they need to get some balls, n sort it out as quickly as possible ,,,the only people a feel bad for is David grieg n his team of coaches, who's went there through good faith to try n keep club up,,,,,there's still plenty to play for to get out,, of it,,,,but it's really down to the prima donna player s at the medda,,,,,cheers cotter

Just a thought, should clubs, as members of SJFA, be required to show audited acounts at the end of each season to confirm that they are in a fit and proper state to continue as members of SJFA?

Makes you wonder if they actually had an AGM each year??

The SJFA centrally is a tiny organisation. There are 160 clubs - even if they submit some sort of accounts who is going to check them all? The SFA/SPL couldn't stop something the size of Rangers. If wee junior teams go down the pan then that's unfortunate but the checks and balances need to be in place much closer to home. For me putting this level of burden on the SJFA would be an over reaction.

Archived