Wage cut turned down by Meadow players

TheMeddaPie

I never said you had gone over your budget. My club rarely if ever goes over its budget. Both clubs pay wages at a level which can influence the lifestyle of those who receive them. Would you rather Kilbirnie played 2 leagues down with an inferior squad even though they can afford the one that have at the moment just because "the game is fucked" if that's the level of wage that your club and others are able to pay?

I think the misfortune of one club is driving some real over reactions and something of a harking back to different times.

I do agree though that clubs should be spending more on improving infrastructure. In fact I think they should be forced to if they want to play in the top flight. Won't happen though because when the chips are down, "lifestyle" payments win in 90% of cases where the choice needs to be made.

Paying the kind of money some juniors clubs are doing with nowhere to go beyond winning a regional league or junior cup really is insane. Clubs paying or near to paying the kind of money Medda were ( including your own ) should be looking at advancing into a pyramid set up, taking the club forward.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only the Medda commitee knew how much debt they were in yet the continued to give players crazy contracts that they knew they couldnt afford so the committee have basically sold their fans down the river and now trying to put the blame on the players ... the committee should hang their heads in shame

Paying the kind of money some juniors clubs are doing with nowhere to go beyond winning a regional league or junior cup really is insane. Clubs paying or near to paying the kind of money Medda were ( including your own ) should be looking at advancing into a pyramid set up, taking the club forward.

That should be a lot of clubs then - including Kilbirnie. But the juniors as a lump don't want to be anywhere near that stuff - paying for lights and developing off field. There are some exceptions but not many.

;

As a Talbot fan I'm not overly concerned with the Medda's offfield problems, nor their current league placing. We had the "loadsamoney" fans on our Forum for a couple of years when they bought success, didn't cry for them them, certainly ain't going to cry for them now.

What I do take issue with though is the way the nplayers at Medda are being castigated because they refuse to take a 10% pay cut to save their employer's blushes. I'm sure most folk in a similar predicament, if the troubles were down to reasons outwith the employer's control would probably consider a 10% reduction to try and save the club. Let's not forget though, fans don't have the same access to what goes on behind the scenes that players do. They will have known for sure that the club was up the proverbial creek minus said paddle, and continuing to act like there simply wasn't an issue.

Ask yourself this, had your own employer done something similar would you have voted to accept a 10% wage decrease knowing the fault was wholly at the employer's door? If you answer yes to that you need to grow a spine.

Comparing a Junior club to a normal employer is wrong. Essentially the supporters/local people are the employers....and in this case the employers contributed extra when asked.

Ergo, when underperforming employees stick out their chin at being asked to chip in between a tenner and a score a week is rotten.

To say that 300 people would attend a player of the year dance that in all probability would be " celebrating " relegation and asking fans to mix with players who weren't prepared to take a 10% wage cut and also try and factor in the mixture of a committee and players who seem to hate one another then the attendance would be probably 50 at tops .

To say 300 in attendance is one of the craziest things I've ever read on here, junior clubs would struggle for that number even after winning majors never mind a season from hell.

Sounds like it should be turned into a fight night.  That'll get them in.

That should be a lot of clubs then - including Kilbirnie. But the juniors as a lump don't want to be anywhere near that stuff - paying for lights and developing off field. There are some exceptions but not many.

alot of Ayrshire clubs aye beith hurlford buffs medda Troon glenafton all spend more than they bring in and r bailed out by sponsors or money men. Talbot don't need 2 they surely living off Scottish cup money.

Mon the papers.

alot of Ayrshire clubs aye beith hurlford buffs medda Troon glenafton all spend more than they bring in and r bailed out by sponsors or money men. Talbot don't need 2 they surely living off Scottish cup money.

Mon the papers.

If the sponsors or money men are bringing money into the club, then they are spending what they bring in, surely ?

The past ten years of medda winning cups i.e league,west (no Scottish) should be seen as a warning to other clubs who are funded by sugar daddies.

Enjoy the good times but the reality is just around the corner.

Community comes before any large donation of cash. Cumnock bailed Talbot out in the 70's when we were on death row and why? Answer is that they may be our closest rivals but they are still or community and as much as I love seeing then beat I would hate to see them go under. I would probably donate to help them out. Not sure it's the same in big towns

Mon the papers.

With the best will in the world, you have no idea how we run our Club. Our books were discussed at a committee meeting on Wednesday night and we are one event away (which is on the 17th April) from balancing the books this year, for the 6th year in a row!! Thats while bringing our pitch and overall facilities up to a standard which a very few can match. 

We run a tight ship with many young players in our squad, check the website. Our last 5 signings are guys under the age of 20! Its a nonsense that we get brought into the mix with this type of discussion and its getting very monotonous. Its also a disservice to the numerous people who give up their own time to run the Club. 

Rant over!

The past ten years of medda winning cups i.e league,west (no Scottish) should be seen as a warning to other clubs who are funded by sugar daddies.

Enjoy the good times but the reality is just around the corner.

Community comes before any large donation of cash. Cumnock bailed Talbot out in the 70's when we were on death row and why? Answer is that they may be our closest rivals but they are still or community and as much as I love seeing then beat I would hate to see them go under. I would probably donate to help them out. Not sure it's the same in big towns

We were in the same boat early 60s with no committee & no team . Dalry donated us a set of strips & a young manager who ran a local under 21 team brought his lads & coaching staff to the club . That man was Sconie Davidson & he was our manager for nigh on 30 years after that . Agree totally with what you say bud

With the best will in the world, you have no idea how we run our Club. Our books were discussed at a committee meeting on Wednesday night and we are one event away (which is on the 17th April) from balancing the books this year, for the 6th year in a row!! Thats while bringing our pitch and overall facilities up to a standard which a very few can match.

We run a tight ship with many young players in our squad, check the website. Our last 5 signings are guys under the age of 20! Its a nonsense that we get brought into the mix with this type of discussion and its getting very monotonous. Its also a disservice to the numerous people who give up their own time to run the Club.

Rant over!

No idea about the financial side but the facilities at Portland Park were outstanding. Massive change from how I remembered it. If that's been done by balancing the books and having a team challenging in the top half of the Premier that is impressive.

Mon the papers.

According to results over the years, Talbot and Linlithgow are two clubs who are run correctly.

Talbot have a unique set up.  Their village are right behind them,   far from 'money men' it is their ordinary fans who contribute what they can afford.  Their results over the years show just how good a committee they have. No need for flash Harrys who come and  then depart as swift as they arrived.

Rose have an excellent run social club, obviously run honestly when dozens of good clubs folded due to incompetence at the least, or hands fishing in the  till.

Just how many have folded from 20 years ago?

. If your employer says will you take a 10% cut or there is every chance your out a job if you don't what do you say. " ah ran yer 10% cut I'll take my chances at having f**k all money and nowhere to ply my trade. Aye grow a spine just like your mining community of the past done. How's that go 🙈🙈

^^^

we really are Thatcher's weans.

According to results over the years, Talbot and Linlithgow are two clubs who are run correctly.

Talbot have a unique set up. Their village are right behind them, far from 'money men' it is their ordinary fans who contribute what they can afford. Their results over the years show just how good a committee they have. No need for flash Harrys who come and then depart as swift as they arrived.

Rose have an excellent run social club, obviously run honestly when dozens of good clubs folded due to incompetence at the least, or hands fishing in the till.

Just how many have folded from 20 years ago?

Correct - I have always felt Talbot are a benchmark of what can be achieved with vision by many junior clubs when you work to get the community onside

Linlithgow have in the past relied on the Social Club along with a committee who were/are hard working. But where they don't excel is looking forward and evolving as the last year has proved - and now suffering because of that.

Kelty have also impressed me recently - albeit I had my own concerns they were relying on outside monies - but have been assured that isn't the case and in which case fine and good luck to them.

How can someone pick out 6 junior clubs who they say are being bailed out wat a lot of pish I take it your privvy to the financials of beith Hurlford Kilwinning the meadow Troon and glenafton to make this statement tad bit of jealousy there

jealous about what? Ma club overspending then lucky if they see the season out aye well jealous lol. It's no secret the teams I've mentioned have someone pumping money Into them. Beith n Kilbirnie have decent crowds but the rest I would say ain't great so where is the money coming from then?

Mon the papers

^^^

we really are Thatcher's weans.

having been in position a few times where my works fucked me over and ave had to accept a few bob less I don't see the problem with guys that do 8 hours a week for a very good pay taken a wee cut or maybe end up fucked all together.

jealous about what? Ma club overspending then lucky if they see the season out aye well jealous lol. It's no secret the teams I've mentioned have someone pumping money Into them. Beith n Kilbirnie have decent crowds but the rest I would say ain't great so where is the money coming from then?

Mon the papers

I'd say and it's just my personal opinion but I'd say Troon have had a few bob to get there park and social club done up how it is. Fair play to them tho as they are superb at bringing youth through. But for me there rise hasn't been all about balance of the books they certainly received a bit of help. Balancing the books for wages of your team and run of the club aye but all the rest I'll say naw

Archived