Scotland

P45

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Is it wrong that I don't really have any pride towards Scotland whatsoever?  When I go abroad and people ask where I'm from, when I say I'm Scottish my heart doesn't beam golden sunshine and a sense of absolute pride doesn't overcome my very being.

I have zero pride in being Scottish as well.

I have zero shame in it either mind.

To me pride comes from something you done or achieved, not where you were born, something you have no control over.

27 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I have zero pride in being Scottish as well.

I have zero shame in it either mind.

To me pride comes from something you done or achieved, not where you were born, something you have no control over.

Makes a handy way for people to latch onto somebody else's success (present or centuries past) as a comfort for doing f*** all with their own lives though, essentially the non-sporting equivalent of a glory hunter.

What Scots absolutely excel at is being proud of inventions that Scots invented once they'd left Scotland to get a education / setup elsewhere (John Logie Baird's team in England, Alexander Graham Bell going to Canada because she found Scotland "stifling" etc etc etc, although the exception is Alexander Fleming who discovered penicillin by a well-known complete fluke).

Anyway, seeing as it's inevitable now...

tumblr_lnumeiFkly1qzovtro1_500.gif

23 hours ago, alta-pete said:

^^^ this. Whoever picked the location, make them taxi drive x 3 to Pitlochry and drink Diet Coke while you and your other 10 pals get #MWI

But how the f**k you all managed to get marooned in the middle of nowhere? emoji23.pngemoji23.png

To be fair to the guy the place we’re in looks great, big outside area with a barbecue and fire pit etc, so will just stock up and stay there probably. I do like to have a pub to go to though if you get bored of staying in.

Scotland is the most beautiful country in the world and the people are amongst the most friendly in the entire human race.  I'm extremely proud to be Scottish and consider myself very lucky.  The only bad thing about Scotland is fannies like a couple of posters above.  They probably think their views make them enlightened when they really just make them arseholes.

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
7 hours ago, heedthebaa said:
I’m English and when I’m abroad and asked, I say I’m  Scottish. I love this country and the people in it 

Why tell lies ?

It’s easier 

1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

It’s easier 

Don't worry man we're happy to have you.  You do notice abroad people react much better when they find out you're Scottish and not English.  Another reason to be proud to be Scottish, Scottish people are very popular the world over.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I’m going to start telling people I’m Ugandan.

Not so keen on their dictators, but I love their discussions.

Scotland is the most beautiful country in the world and the people are amongst the most friendly in the entire human race.  I'm extremely proud to be Scottish and consider myself very lucky.  The only bad thing about Scotland is fannies like a couple of posters above.  They probably think their views make them enlightened when they really just make them arseholes.

Anyone that thinks Scotland is the most beautiful country on the planet really hasn’t been around much

18 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

Anyone that thinks Scotland is the most beautiful country on the planet really hasn’t been around much

This. 

To say it's the 'most beautiful' country in the world is nothing. short of ignorance and arrogance (same thing applies to 'best fans in the world' which you'll hear the Irish peddling as well).  Self-praise is no praise at all (as they say). 

Yes, it has some exceptionally nice parts (on their day) but there are many more places to visit in the world than the northern British Isles that have far more varied forms of hills and beaches, plus more. I suppose we have romanticised ours more than most (see Walter Scott etc) and although it certainly seems to pull in a particular type of tourist to our economic benefit, it seems to have led to a certain embedded mentality amongst the natives that isn't always healthy. 

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

This. 

To say it's the 'most beautiful' country in the world is nothing. short of ignorance and arrogance (same thing applies to 'best fans in the world' which you'll hear the Irish peddling as well).  Self-praise is no praise at all (as they say). 

Yes, it has some exceptionally nice parts (on their day) but there are many more places to visit in the world than the northern British Isles that have far more varied forms of hills and beaches, plus more. I suppose we have romanticised ours more than most (see Walter Scott etc) and although it certainly seems to pull in a particular type of tourist to our economic benefit, it seems to have led to a certain embedded mentality amongst the natives that isn't always healthy. 

Yep.

I'd doubt anywhere could reasonably call itself the most anything - the world is a big place.  Any beauty is in the eye of the beholder - some get their kicks out of landscapes, others beaches, others mountains and some other things.  

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

To be fair to the guy the place we’re in looks great, big outside area with a barbecue and fire pit etc, so will just stock up and stay there probably. I do like to have a pub to go to though if you get bored of staying in.

Are you saying that you're on a short social golfing trip with 12 other guys and you're passing the  time on P&B? 

20 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

You'd better get on to Rough Guides then, voted by...erm...folk who have been around.

https://www.roughguides.com/gallery/most-beautiful-country-in-the-world/

You are aware that the winner of an opinion poll doesn't necessarily mean that everybody or even the overall majority (hopefully I've worded that correctly) voted that, right? 

Archived