Planning a trip

Hello folks, I'm hoping this is the right place for this...

I'm looking to head to Australia for a few weeks later in the year and I'm looking for advice on how much money I should be looking to save up for flights/accommodation/spending money. I'm been wanting to visit Oz/Canada for a few years now and just think if I don't do it soon then I'll end up never doing it.

So, has anyone travelled in Australia before or have any useful advice (other than don't get bitten or eaten while I'm over there!)?

Best to post it in the travel forum.

I spent 8 months traveling Canada back in 2013, awesome country. Are you planning on working to subsidise your travel? Obviously staying in hostel minimises your spending and it's a good way of meeting people who are doing the same thing.

Canada can be pretty pricey in terms of transport, granted it is a bloody big country. Can't recommend Alberta enough though, can easily spend a while just going through the province before reaching BC.

I've only been to Oz once (well technically twice as I had a stopover in Brisbane) and that was Sydney. Oz has never really appealed to me that's why I'm settled in New Zealand, which is a magnificent country.

Good luck wherever you choose.

Hello folks, I'm hoping this is the right place for this...

I'm looking to head to Australia for a few weeks later in the year and I'm looking for advice on how much money I should be looking to save up for flights/accommodation/spending money. I'm been wanting to visit Oz/Canada for a few years now and just think if I don't do it soon then I'll end up never doing it.

So, has anyone travelled in Australia before or have any useful advice (other than don't get bitten or eaten while I'm over there!)?

Save up a fiver.

Don't eat yellow snow.

Sorted.

A few weeks?

Not sure what your situation is, but if you can put aside 3 to 6 months and stop off in SE Asia on the way. Stay in hostels.

Or get a working holiday visa and make it a year. Consider Canada, as mentioned above.

I spent 3 months working in Perth and another 4 months back packing around parts of Australia, it was all pretty cheap and very easy.

The only advice I could give based on my trip is regarding travelling between cities.

I always got free camper van rentals by phoning around hire places asking if they had any one way rentals needing returned. I had no plan other than getting from Perth to Sydney in three months for my flight to Korea and ended up getting free transport and accommodation from Perth to Broome, Broome to Perth, Perth to Adelaide, Adelaide to Melbourne, Melbourne to Sydney. All I had to pay was fuel.

I didn't have as long to do each leg as I would have liked and it meant 8 hours driving a day to make it to the destination within the allotted time but it was free and I was on a budget.

I was staying in hostels which were really nice compared to other countries I stayed in, around £10 a night for dorms and £35 a night for private rooms.

Can't help with the flight costs as I was on a Star Alliance rtw 15 flight ticket which unbelievably was only £1700.

East coast of Australia for partying and getting your hole, west coast for scenic stuff and loads of camping. I've not done the west, but most people I spoke to preferred it overall. Doing the centre is a good thing to say you've done but there really isn't a lot going on.

I'm currently sitting in KL airport having literally just finished my second year working holiday visa. I would definitely recommend living there for a year or two rather than just a holiday, but obviously it's only really complete wasters with 0 career prospects like me that can do that.

Archived