Sky Q

2 hours ago, RiG said:

I like the new remote myself.

Is there a way to select how far you start in a recording? For example, the live NFL recordings often have about an hour of bollocks before the game starts and so far all I have done is sit and leave it on 30x FF to get to the start. The old Sky boxes let you define the start point for watching the recording but I've not found that with Sky Q yet.

Yes, if you do the FF first then hold the right bit of the circle just below the FF  you can zoom forward to any point you want. You can  release it at any point and it gives you a still frame so you can see exactly where you're at. You can go back the way as well.

9 hours ago, blueone said:

Yes, if you do the FF first then hold the right bit of the circle just below the FF  you can zoom forward to any point you want. You can  release it at any point and it gives you a still frame so you can see exactly where you're at. You can go back the way as well.

Cheers I'll give that a bash :) 

My sound box has now been dispatched according to Sky so I now await confirmation of delivery from a courier. Hopefully should be here within a few days.

The sound box arrived yesterday and is now set up. I'm pretty impressed and for £249 I would recommend it to any Sky Q customers who don't have a decent sound system already.

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Use it with a second TV!

I was using a Sony 5.1 home cinema system that is now several years old to be fair but on first listen this is definitely an upgrade on that so no complaints from me.

Dont have a second tv!

I also have an oldish surround system but Im quite happy with it. Im tempted by the sound bar but I think I'll probably go for a new TV first

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2017 at 15:41, Mr X said:

The only differences I can think of are the ability to record more channels (as you say), a MUCH bigger hard drive, 4K (which I dont think is available on older boxes :unsure2: ) and the new EPG, which is nice once you get used to it - oh, and a fancy new remote that you'll bin after a week.

There are some technical differences, that allow the multiple channel recording and wifi streaming to mini boxes, but I doubt you'll be interested in that

Seems I got a fairly normal remote as opposed to the touch one. Do I need Sky multiscreen to be able to watch stuff I've recorded on my box through the app on my phone/tablet?

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Seems I got a fairly normal remote as opposed to the touch one. Do I need Sky multiscreen to be able to watch stuff I've recorded on my box through the app on my phone/tablet?

I dont think multiscreen exists anymore, does it? Dont really know to be honest, have you tried? As far as I know, the app will just connect to the main box

23 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I dont think multiscreen exists anymore, does it? Dont really know to be honest, have you tried? As far as I know, the app will just connect to the main box

When I try to access the recordings part of my phone it says I need Sky Q Multiscreen. Likewise if I go into settings on the box there is a cross beside "watch via Sky Q app" and I don't seem to be able to activate it. The box and my phone seem to recognise each other as I can use the phone to set downloads for the box.

Going by this you need a multiscreen subscription https://www.sky.com/help/articles/using-the-sky-q-app

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

When I try to access the recordings part of my phone it says I need Sky Q Multiscreen. Likewise if I go into settings on the box there is a cross beside "watch via Sky Q app" and I don't seem to be able to activate it. The box and my phone seem to recognise each other as I can use the phone to set downloads for the box.

Going by this you need a multiscreen subscription https://www.sky.com/help/articles/using-the-sky-q-app

So you do. I had no idea I even had that. Need to check out how much its costing!

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

So you do. I had no idea I even had that. Need to check out how much its costing!

Maybe you're getting it as part of the £12 a month or whatever it's cost to upgrade to Sky Q, whereas because I'm a new customer and am getting it at no extra cost I have to pay more to get that option. Seems fair enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Just had a call from Sky with the great offer of Sky Q at only £12 a month extra.
The girl actually seemed surprised when I suggested I didn't need it, and it was expensive enough already
Quite right. Mrs Boo has stopped dropping hints about this thankfully. Was there no negotiation offered from their end?

5 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
Just had a call from Sky with the great offer of Sky Q at only £12 a month extra.
The girl actually seemed surprised when I suggested I didn't need it, and it was expensive enough already

Quite right. Mrs Boo has stopped dropping hints about this thankfully. Was there no negotiation offered from their end?

Nothing of any use. I already have the full package - no discounts offered or anything.

15 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Have you gone online to check to see if you have any offers sitting?

I did get the upgrade at no extra cost. Classed as a Sky Black customer 15yrs plus.

I just checked but everything under "offers" seems to be the generic stuff offered to everyone. Where did you see the "Sky Black" bit?

My parents have had Sky for years and are on the highest level of the loyalty programme. The only offer for them is free installation for Sky Q (and fibre) but I think they'd still have to pay the extra £12 or whatever a month.