Sky Q

14 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Anyone ordered one of the Sky Sound Boxes? And if so how long did delivery take? I ordered about two weeks ago and still haven't received it. It does say it can take 30 days but I'm getting impatient all the same.

Are they out now? Last time I looked they were on pre-order. 

I thought about getting one but decided against it. I have a bunch of stuff plugged into a surround amp, Im not sure how it would cope with that!

2 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Am I right in thinking the only stuff in 4K is the odd thing on Sky/BT Sports?

Pretty much. I havent looked in detail but there are a few programmes on Sky One too.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

I thought about getting one but decided against it. I have a bunch of stuff plugged into a surround amp, Im not sure how it would cope with that!

Pretty much. I havent looked in detail but there are a few programmes on Sky One too.

Cheers. Mrs Boo fancies it for the extra boxes in other rooms. I take they cost over and above the £12 per month increase? I don't even have a 4K telly so looking for excuses to tell her to pay it herself.

20 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Cheers. Mrs Boo fancies it for the extra boxes in other rooms. I take they cost over and above the £12 per month increase? I don't even have a 4K telly so looking for excuses to tell her to pay it herself.

Dont know, to be honest. I got one mini box when I upgraded to the top box but I dont think I paid any extra.

One other thing on 4K, its only available through the main box, not the minis

41 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yeah apparently. I had registered my interest in October, heard no more and then found one day that I could go on and actually complete the purchase.

The communication has been poor though. One generic email confirmation a couple of weeks ago which was more suited to confirmation of an order for a sky install rather than hardware but that's all.

Hopefully it will be good but at £249 I thought it was worth a punt. I'll use it with one of the miniboxes if it ends up being a bit of a let down.

New 4K smart telly bought on Sunday. To be delivered on Friday. Sound bar also purchased. Sky q ordered same day but earliest installation date is 7th Dec. Hoping I've not ordered incorrectly but for an 18 month extension to contract I'm getting a £12 pm discount, then £12 pm sky q cost and no installation charge or £65 cost of box. So, cost neutral it seems. 2TB box ordered for 4K programmes.
Will no doubt be back on here admitting I've f**ked up shortly.

On 17/11/2017 at 13:03, jimmy boo said:

You pay a £99 "activation charge" for each mini box, but the monthly sub is the same regardless of how many you have.

Note that you can only watch on two mini boxes at a time, although you can have up to four in the system (trying to watch on more than two gives an error message on the third until one of the others is put into standby). 

How different is Sky Q to normal Sky? I've just signed up to Sky for the first time and see I get a Sky Q box rather than the bog standard one, which is nice. I only have one TV so it's not going to affect that. Aside from being able to record a few channels at the same time, what are the other benefits I'll get over my brother's normal Sky box?

Also, is there a full list of what's on Sky boxsets available anywhere? I had a Google but couldn't see one.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Also, is there a full list of what's on Sky boxsets available anywhere? I had a Google but couldn't see one.

Not as far as I know. You just have to scroll through screeds and screeds of stuff.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

How different is Sky Q to normal Sky? I've just signed up to Sky for the first time and see I get a Sky Q box rather than the bog standard one, which is nice. I only have one TV so it's not going to affect that. Aside from being able to record a few channels at the same time, what are the other benefits I'll get over my brother's normal Sky box?

The only differences I can think of are the ability to record more channels (as you say), a MUCH bigger hard drive, 4K (which I dont think is available on older boxes :unsure2: ) and the new EPG, which is nice once you get used to it - oh, and a fancy new remote that you'll bin after a week.

There are some technical differences, that allow the multiple channel recording and wifi streaming to mini boxes, but I doubt you'll be interested in that

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

The only differences I can think of are the ability to record more channels (as you say), a MUCH bigger hard drive, 4K (which I dont think is available on older boxes :unsure2: ) and the new EPG, which is nice once you get used to it - oh, and a fancy new remote that you'll bin after a week.

There are some technical differences, that allow the multiple channel recording and wifi streaming to mini boxes, but I doubt you'll be interested in that

Cheers. Nice that I get it but doesn't sound like it would be worth my brother spending the extra on it given he also only has one TV (neither of us have 4K).

As an aside, and not Sky Q related, it seems ridiculous you have to pay an extra £6 on top of what you're already paying for the sport channels and the box set package that includes the HD channels to have the sport channels in HD! Which is why I didn't do it.

Cheers. Nice that I get it but doesn't sound like it would be worth my brother spending the extra on it given he also only has one TV (neither of us have 4K).
As an aside, and not Sky Q related, it seems ridiculous you have to pay an extra £6 on top of what you're already paying for the sport channels and the box set package that includes the HD channels to have the sport channels in HD! Which is why I didn't do it.

Maybe that's because Sky are robbing c***s! !

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

oh, and a fancy new remote that you'll bin after a week.

:lol: Too true.

I thought about using the touch remote with the mini, which (being bluetooth) would allow the box to be hidden.

After a week or so, the box was moved to let the IR remote work. It's a nice idea in principle, but poorly executed; far too sensitive to unintentional touches. 

Edited by The Master

On 24/11/2017 at 15:41, Mr X said:

oh, and a fancy new remote that you'll bin after a week.

18 hours ago, The Master said:

:lol: Too true.

Am I the only one that likes the new style remote? A little bit of getting used to but couldn't go back to the old one now. Love the little screen with live video if you're waiting for something to start and the voice control is one the best I've seen - say an actor's name and it lists all the programmes they're in, say a channel name or number and it changes to that channel, say play something you've recorded and it starts playing, open sports app and get live scores etc.

3 minutes ago, blueone said:

Am I the only one that likes the new style remote? A little bit of getting used to but couldn't go back to the old one now. Love the little screen with live video if you're waiting for something to start and the voice control is one the best I've seen - say an actor's name and it lists all the programmes they're in, say a channel name or number and it changes to that channel, say play something you've recorded and it starts playing, open sports app and get live scores etc.

Yes!

To be honest, I never tried the voice control but, as the Master said, it was overly sensitive. It also used to cause recordings to go haywire when fast forwarding. Happened quite regularly but hasnt happened once since switching remotes

I like the new remote myself.

Is there a way to select how far you start in a recording? For example, the live NFL recordings often have about an hour of bollocks before the game starts and so far all I have done is sit and leave it on 30x FF to get to the start. The old Sky boxes let you define the start point for watching the recording but I've not found that with Sky Q yet.