Sky Q

On 30/03/2017 at 14:07, Mr X said:

Has anyone else given up on the new Sky remote? We were getting loads of problems mainly when fast forwarding, the thing would go beserk and rewind and forward on its on and skip back and forwards in the programme. At first I thought it was an issue with the box but it hasnt happened since I stopped using the new remote

Yes. Tried it but didn't like it went back to the other one.

31 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I liked it, when it worked!

Maybe a question for the quick question thread but I'll ask here since it's about Sky.

My elderly mother in Dumfries has an old style Sky box which is beginning to malfunction, it won't record properly, cuts out and stuff.

Personally I think the Sky Q is great, but if she wasn't keen can you still get a new old style box? If you know what I mean.

Havn't phoned Sky yet. Will maybe do that tomorrow  

1 hour ago, WILLIEA said:

Maybe a question for the quick question thread but I'll ask here since it's about Sky.

My elderly mother in Dumfries has an old style Sky box which is beginning to malfunction, it won't record properly, cuts out and stuff.

Personally I think the Sky Q is great, but if she wasn't keen can you still get a new old style box? If you know what I mean.

I have a 1 terrabyte old style sky box (latest version prior to Sky Q)  and control which is now redundant having upgraded to Sky Q if you want it. Your mums card should work no issues in it.  I am located in Wemyss Bay

5 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

I have a 1 terrabyte old style sky box (latest version prior to Sky Q)  and control which is now redundant having upgraded to Sky Q if you want it. Your mums card should work no issues in it.  I am located in Wemyss Bay

She would need to phone Sky and get the card paired with the box as the card only works in the original box.

14 hours ago, Tonsilitis said:

Thanks very much for the offer but it's looking like Sky Q.

Would have been a nice wee drive down the coast:lol:

On 31/03/2017 at 19:26, WILLIEA said:

Did you ever phone Sky? My mother's in the same situation.

P.S. Think I may have fixed it by doing a factory reset about 6 times.

Edited by welshbairn

On 31/03/2017 at 20:30, Tonsilitis said:

I might be interested, but am a bit far from Wemyss Bay. Would be happy to pay the p+p though.

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Did you ever phone Sky? My mother's in the same situation.

P.S. Think I may have fixed it by doing a factory reset about 6 times.

Talked to them this morning. Sky Q it is, just a 1 Tb box.

What I did learn is that they have an accessibility team for older customers and you can get an old style handset that works with the Q box

4 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

I still have it.  PM me contact details if you are interested.

Cheers, but doing the factory reset multiple times on the old one and updating the software seems to have worked. Thanks anyway.

2 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

Talked to them this morning. Sky Q it is, just a 1 Tb box.

What I did learn is that they have an accessibility team for older customers and you can get an old style handset that works with the Q box

You get two remotes with Sky Q normally, the new one and an old style one. The old style ones are the same ones you get with the mini boxes

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You get two remotes with Sky Q normally, the new one and an old style one. The old style ones are the same ones you get with the mini boxes

Are you getting on OK without Sky Broadband? Thinking when I do make the leap to Q I might as well shift the phone and broadband over to Sky from Talk Talk if it doesn't cost much more. I've already got fibre so presumably they could just switch over remotely.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are you getting on OK without Sky Broadband? Thinking when I do make the leap to Q I might as well shift the phone and broadband over to Sky from Talk Talk if it doesn't cost much more. I've already got fibre so presumably they could just switch over remotely.

Yes, no problems. The only advantage to having Sky broadband is that the mini boxes act as wifi extenders. I dont have my mini box plugged in anywhere.

34 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I maybe misunderstood but I got the impression that older customers could order an old style chunky remote for the Q box

37 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

That's the new one. I think you can get an old style one that will work with the Q box.

I'll let you know when I actually see one.

Its not the new, new one though :lol: That has a fancy track pad type thing.

Not sure why they would do an old style one instead of that to be honest