Sky Q

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

Walked past a local house today and noticed the LNB had at least 6 outputs coming from it!! I don't suppose Sky ever replace old Sky+ boxes with Sky Q boxes for no extra charge? I've been with them since 1990 and never had any benefit for my loyalty. Saved loads per month by cancelling sports when I got iptv.

I got a new dish, new main box and mini box and installation for free on a black Friday deal before Christmas, and the monthly fee came down a few quid from the single room one we had before. It's worth checking every so often to see what they're offering.

Edited by welshbairn

Rejoined sky last year (already had a Q dish up), when the engineer came out to do the install I asked her to switch the LNBs to make them freesat compatible, don't know if they would always do it but didn't seem to be a problem.
Apparently it's not a problem and they'll happily do it if asked.

The problem is, it shouldn't be down to the customer to have to know and ask.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2021 at 09:28, Stu said:

Stupid question but is it possible to use a Sky Q box without a dish? I'm moving in with my other half in a few weeks and she doesn't have a dish (or even an aerial for some weird reason). We're moving into our new house in a month or so so I'm not going to bother getting a dish installed as I can just watch stuff on Sky Go.

However, was wondering if I connect the box to the broadband if I'll be able to access on demand stuff. I know I won't be able to watch live stuff or record but if I can use catch up that would be help. Assuming the answer is no but thought I'd ask in the off chance!

Tested this tonight and the answer would seem to be yes. Took out all the cables then put the power and HDMI ones back in. Let me download and watch On Demand stuff from Sky Comedy and Sky Sports so seems to work. Whether it still will when I try to connect to different wifi is another matter. 

Tested this tonight and the answer would seem to be yes. Took out all the cables then put the power and HDMI ones back in. Let me download and watch On Demand stuff from Sky Comedy and Sky Sports so seems to work. Whether it still will when I try to connect to different wifi is another matter. 
Interesting. Did you try taking the viewing card out?

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:
1 hour ago, Stu said:

Interesting. Did you try taking the viewing card out?

No, viewing card was still in. Went into settings and it showed the viewing card number and that it was paired with the box.

No, viewing card was still in. Went into settings and it showed the viewing card number and that it was paired with the box.
So either it checks over the internet or more likely it just saved the pairing.

I would still be a bit concerned that at some point it will try and use the satellite signal to check your subscription and fail.

14 hours ago, Mr X said:

So either it checks over the internet or more likely it just saved the pairing.

I would still be a bit concerned that at some point it will try and use the satellite signal to check your subscription and fail.

Probably, but if I can use it for a few weeks before that happens I'll take it.

I guess it'll be relatively easy to pair it back up once it's connected to a dish again?

Just cancelled sky TV this morning. They offered me a whole £2 extra off my monthly bill - then wanted a £20 admin fee!

19 years and it comes to this.
Sky just upped my fibre from 150mbps to 1gb for the same price as I am working from home...
Sometimes you win sometimes you dont

Sky just upped my fibre from 150mbps to 1gb for the same price as I am working from home...
Heard similar things quite a lot over the last few months regarding the different suppliers. Dunno if it's just Covid throwing everything out of whack but it seems more of a lottery than usual regarding getting deals or renewals.

Customer service from said suppliers has gone to complete shit as of late, or at least worse than usual. Suppose due to working with reduced capacity

How did this happen, did you ask or did they just give you it, or do you work for Sky?

I've also got the 150Mbps package so very interested to find out more as I didn't know sky offered anything over 150Mbps.

How did this happen, did you ask or did they just give you it, or do you work for Sky?

I've also got the 150Mbps package so very interested to find out more as I didn't know sky offered anything over 150Mbps.
It was sky Ireland tbh, just said about working from home but trying to save money on the TV package as wife lost job and given the current situ it's not sure she will be back to work.
Same package, fibre to max, same price as year before

• 3 weeks later...

Had to phone Sky earlier to get an engineer out as picture has been breaking up for a few days, although was perfect yesterday and back to crap today despite perfect weather. So i'm guessing the dish needs realigned.They were going to charge £65 for the engineer to visit but another option was to take a Sky Q box with no other charges and no change to monthly subs. Seemed too good an offer to refuse so went for it. Sounds like they're desparate for as many customers as possible to have the Q boxes in the hope they take out more services. Which I won't.

Edit....

Engineer came out earlier, put up new dish and connected 1TB Q box and wifi. Spent 15 minutes going through features etc then left. So im going through the menus and seeing what's what and started downloading a recording. After a few minutes the screen went blank and the box refused to respond to any commands. Checked all cables and connections etc and unplugged from mains to reboot with no joy. Phoned Sky and was told to press 1 and 3 at the same time without effect. Guy eventually came back and said a new box would be delivered by courier tomorrow.

Would I be right in suspecting they are giving folk reconditioned boxes as opposed to brand new? Original woman at Sky had said i'd get a touch screen remote but it was just the standard Q one other family members have......Not impressed.

Edited by jimmy boo

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...