Sky Q

Sky Q is quite good. All the Menus have changed new remotes for it. they have opted for a more netflix look in terms of browsing menus with images rather than just the names. Navigation up and down through channels is a bit more difficult due to having to load moving images of what is on.

It also relies alot more on broadband speed so if you have slow speeds. Sky Q is maybe not worth it just now.

The upgraded box is really nice and all the features for recording aswell.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the silver edition with new gigabit router (no more Openreach box required to connect to fibre) and two mini boxes. It's pretty good the fluid stuff allows the missus to pause Bones or whatever gash she is watching and resume up in the bedroom, leaving me to have control of the 47" and 5.1 digital sound to watch important stuff like football etc. And you get two remotes for living room. Touch one for him and basic push button for her.

Only one week to go for me :):P

Don't rub it in :P

Slightly related. I have a dvd recorder from which I can transfer stuff from my Sky+ box to recordable dvd's.

It needs scart connection tho, I presume it won't work with new box because there is no scart?

I know you can record from tv to flash drive or ext. hard disc but I've never done it and don't know how easy it is.

Anybody help ??

Don't rub it in :P

Slightly related. I have a dvd recorder from which I can transfer stuff from my Sky+ box to recordable dvd's.

It needs scart connection tho, I presume it won't work with new box because there is no scart?

I know you can record from tv to flash drive or ext. hard disc but I've never done it and don't know how easy it is.

Anybody help ??

No scart on the new box. I've only just looked this up which allow an old device to play to hdmi screen rather than take an hdmi signal and convert to scart...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nikkai-scart-to-hdmi-convertor-1080p-n32jq

What you need is it to go the other way. That's just the start of your problems due to copyright protection measures.

You can record from some TVs to USB stick/HDD. However the recording is sometimes only useful in that tv. Don't think you can record what's being played back from an external source e.g. Sky box. You can usually only record what is being played via the epg on the tv itself.

So I'd say what you're asking for is pretty tough although not impossible. Why not just download the stuff using BitTorrent ?

No scart on the new box. I've only just looked this up which allow an old device to play to hdmi screen rather than take an hdmi signal and convert to scart...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nikkai-scart-to-hdmi-convertor-1080p-n32jq

What you need is it to go the other way. That's just the start of your problems due to copyright protection measures.

You can record from some TVs to USB stick/HDD. However the recording is sometimes only useful in that tv. Don't think you can record what's being played back from an external source e.g. Sky box. You can usually only record what is being played via the epg on the tv itself.

So I'd say what you're asking for is pretty tough although not impossible. Why not just download the stuff using BitTorrent ?

Cheers. I thought that might be the case.

TBH I hardly use it but I do have a whole stack of recordable dvd's left and I would occasionally record something for my mother and post it to her.

Looks like too much hassle now

We already had HD and multiroom, so the Sky Q silver package worked out at only an extra £1.50 a month. That was certainly worth paying for the ability to record 4 channels and watch a fifth (and sixth in another room) alone. So we ordered for install on day 1.

So far it's been pretty good. The software in the boxes is slightly buggy (e.g. the mini boxes occasionally have a "stuck" EPG where it doesn't populate and the now/next banner is blank) but most things only rarely occur and are fixed by a power cycle.

Sky are really pushing wireless with this system, with the default install being wireless connection for everything, even the mini boxes. If your WiFi is too weak for it to reach a box then you get free boosters that sit in between. But be aware that these are quite big for what they are and aren't designed to be wall-mountable...although it's not difficult to be inventive should the need arise.

Although I was sceptical about the wireless at first, it does seem to work. The mini we have upstairs doesn't drop connection although it did take a bit of trial and error to find the best place for the booster. The installers have an app that maps out the "mesh" and they just need to see green links between all nodes, but there's no guarantee that where things are (especially boosters) is ideal, e.g. once people start moving about in the house. So it can be worth using a network analyser app to find the best location for maximising signal strength.

The wireless mesh itself is fantastic. All boxes turn into wireless hotspots, so we now have pretty strong ac WiFi throughout the house, with seamless roaming between base stations. Even if you choose to have one or more boxes connected via ethernet you can still turn on the hotspot feature to improve your WiFi. They'll also be enabling built-in powerline in the near future. For those who are interested in this sort of thing, here's how the wireless mesh works - http://www.wi-fi360.com/airties-can-finally-talk-openly-about-sky-q-hybrid-mesh/

Other bits and pieces: the touch remote is a bit fiddly but there's a normal remote as well. Picture quality on the mini boxes is excellent - no different to if it were connected directly to the dish.

Overall it's an impressive system.

We already had HD and multiroom, so the Sky Q silver package worked out at only an extra £1.50 a month. That was certainly worth paying for the ability to record 4 channels and watch a fifth (and sixth in another room) alone. So we ordered for install on day 1.

So far it's been pretty good. The software in the boxes is slightly buggy (e.g. the mini boxes occasionally have a "stuck" EPG where it doesn't populate and the now/next banner is blank) but most things only rarely occur and are fixed by a power cycle.

Sky are really pushing wireless with this system, with the default install being wireless connection for everything, even the mini boxes. If your WiFi is too weak for it to reach a box then you get free boosters that sit in between. But be aware that these are quite big for what they are and aren't designed to be wall-mountable...although it's not difficult to be inventive should the need arise.

Although I was sceptical about the wireless at first, it does seem to work. The mini we have upstairs doesn't drop connection although it did take a bit of trial and error to find the best place for the booster. The installers have an app that maps out the "mesh" and they just need to see green links between all nodes, but there's no guarantee that where things are (especially boosters) is ideal, e.g. once people start moving about in the house. So it can be worth using a network analyser app to find the best location for maximising signal strength.

The wireless mesh itself is fantastic. All boxes turn into wireless hotspots, so we now have pretty strong ac WiFi throughout the house, with seamless roaming between base stations. Even if you choose to have one or more boxes connected via ethernet you can still turn on the hotspot feature to improve your WiFi. They'll also be enabling built-in powerline in the near future. For those who are interested in this sort of thing, here's how the wireless mesh works - http://www.wi-fi360.com/airties-can-finally-talk-openly-about-sky-q-hybrid-mesh/

Other bits and pieces: the touch remote is a bit fiddly but there's a normal remote as well. Picture quality on the mini boxes is excellent - no different to if it were connected directly to the dish.

Overall it's an impressive system.

Thats only if you have Sky Broadband, is it not? Which is pretty annoying as its clearly a marketing ploy. Theres no technical reason it wouldnt work with other ISPs

Thats only if you have Sky Broadband, is it not? Which is pretty annoying as its clearly a marketing ploy. Theres no technical reason it wouldnt work with other ISPs

Yes and no. So it needs the Sky Q "hub" in order to work, which is only available with Sky Broadband. But there would be nothing stopping Sky from providing (read: selling) an opened-up version of the router that could be used with other providers. Or even just an access point version that connects to an existing router via ethernet.

Yes and no. So it needs the Sky Q "hub" in order to work, which is only available with Sky Broadband. But there would be nothing stopping Sky from providing (read: selling) an opened-up version of the router that could be used with other providers. Or even just an access point version that connects to an existing router via ethernet.

So, just no then ;)

Currently, unless you have a Sky Q hub you cant use the extra boxes as wireless hotspots.

So, just no then ;)

Currently, unless you have a Sky Q hub you cant use the extra boxes as wireless hotspots.

I should have chopped down your quote - the "yes and no" was in response to the "no technical reason" part.