Sky Q

Anyone know if there's a way to watch my sky box upstairs, without giving them £14 a month for multi room?

Happy for it to be the same programme on both, as I'd like to watch the football upstairs while the Mrs watches netflix or whatever on the downstairs telly.

Anyone know if there's a way to watch my sky box upstairs, without giving them £14 a month for multi room?

Happy for it to be the same programme on both, as I'd like to watch the football upstairs while the Mrs watches netflix or whatever on the downstairs telly.
Does your subscription come with Sky Go? Could run that through a laptop connected to the TV or cast from your phone?

Not a wireless solution so would require running an HDMI cable, but If Sky Go doesn't work for you, I use one of these to split the output from the sky box into my Kitchen and Conservatory TV (with the cable running under the floor).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085HFPWKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_zEEcGbCAD95PN

Same thing on both TV's as you asked, so as long as your Mrs isn't watching Netflix on the sky box it'll work for what you want.

Sky go would be better.

16 hours ago, true_rover said:
On 20/01/2021 at 14:13, deej said:

Does your subscription come with Sky Go? Could run that through a laptop connected to the TV or cast from your phone?

11 hours ago, gaz5 said:

Not a wireless solution so would require running an HDMI cable, but If Sky Go doesn't work for you, I use one of these to split the output from the sky box into my Kitchen and Conservatory TV (with the cable running under the floor).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085HFPWKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_zEEcGbCAD95PN

Same thing on both TV's as you asked, so as long as your Mrs isn't watching Netflix on the sky box it'll work for what you want.

Sky go would be better.

It does come with sky go, will give it a try. Problem is our internet is shite so might be a bit laggy. 

The hdmi splitter looks like it would work in theory but would require something like a 10m HDMI cable to run upstairs, unless I went through the walls - and I've no idea what I'd be doing there, so that's a non-starter 😂

Stupid question but is it possible to use a Sky Q box without a dish? I'm moving in with my other half in a few weeks and she doesn't have a dish (or even an aerial for some weird reason). We're moving into our new house in a month or so so I'm not going to bother getting a dish installed as I can just watch stuff on Sky Go.

However, was wondering if I connect the box to the broadband if I'll be able to access on demand stuff. I know I won't be able to watch live stuff or record but if I can use catch up that would be help. Assuming the answer is no but thought I'd ask in the off chance!

Stupid question but is it possible to use a Sky Q box without a dish? I'm moving in with my other half in a few weeks and she doesn't have a dish (or even an aerial for some weird reason). We're moving into our new house in a month or so so I'm not going to bother getting a dish installed as I can just watch stuff on Sky Go.
However, was wondering if I connect the box to the broadband if I'll be able to access on demand stuff. I know I won't be able to watch live stuff or record but if I can use catch up that would be help. Assuming the answer is no but thought I'd ask in the off chance!
Interesting question. You would think that the on demand services using the internet would still work, otherwise everything would go down if there's was bad weather and the box lost signal.

Might depend on how the viewing card is validated. If that's via the dish then it's nothing going to work

1 hour ago, Stu said:

No idea but if you get a decent signal and can cope with freeview for a few weeks I was surprised how well this works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-Digital-Freeview-27806R-Innovation/dp/B07GXS9ZXS/ref=asc_df_B07GXS9ZXS/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218843350928&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11479122390580408880&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007345&hvtargid=pla-550310167818&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Interesting question. You would think that the on demand services using the internet would still work, otherwise everything would go down if there's was bad weather and the box lost signal.

Might depend on how the viewing card is validated. If that's via the dish then it's nothing going to work

Yeah, seen a few poss regarding Sky+ that it won't work without a dish but dunno if Sky Q will be the same.

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thanks but I threw out an indoor aerial and a freeview box yesterday thinking I'd never need them again and I'm too stubborn to get another one!

Do Sky still install a dish these days? Thought I read somewhere they were doing away with them. Seem a bit behind the times in that regard, surely it can all be done through the broadband these days?

There must be enough out of use dishes installed throughout homes in the UK that if you combined them you could pick up signals from the furthest reaches of the galaxy

16 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Do Sky still install a dish these days? Thought I read somewhere they were doing away with them. Seem a bit behind the times in that regard, surely it can all be done through the broadband these days?

There must be enough out of use dishes installed throughout homes in the UK that if you combined them you could pick up signals from the furthest reaches of the galaxy

They do install dishes. Theres no way most peoples broadband could cope with it, not until Fibre to the door is common place and thats years away.

16 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

They were meant to be offering satellite free Sky TV from 2018 but that's been on the backburner for some time now.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/sky/148401-sky-x

26 minutes ago, RiG said:

They were meant to be offering satellite free Sky TV from 2018 but that's been on the backburner for some time now.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/sky/148401-sky-x

According to the article, its a cut down version - no 4k, no recording etc. Basically a box to get NowTV

I have fibre to the house with sky and still have a dish.
In fact I have two more dishes in the shed (thanks to storms) that they wouldn't take away when replacing.
The first one the metal bar holding dish to bracket crumbled. The second one the bracket cracked and snapped. Dishes actually look fine.

19 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Got a free new dish installed when we got Q put in a few weeks ago.

I have fibre to the house with sky and still have a dish.
In fact I have two more dishes in the shed (thanks to storms) that they wouldn't take away when replacing.
The first one the metal bar holding dish to bracket crumbled. The second one the bracket cracked and snapped. Dishes actually look fine.
Thought they'd be into the recycling gig these days. BT allow you to free post their equipment and I think Virgin come to your door for it.

The raw material from the dishes hanging about unused must make it worth their effort

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:
5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Did they take the old one away though?

Think so, unless he left it in the garden. Left the old box behind.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think you usually do get a new dish with Sky Q as the LNBs are different, thats how you can record and watch more channels. They didnt take the old dish away when they put mine up but only because it turned out not to be a Sky dish!

Turns out the new LNBs they use arent compatible with most current Freesat boxes. Certainly doesnt work with the built-in freesat on my TV :angry:

Walked past a local house today and noticed the LNB had at least 6 outputs coming from it!! I don't suppose Sky ever replace old Sky+ boxes with Sky Q boxes for no extra charge? I've been with them since 1990 and never had any benefit for my loyalty. Saved loads per month by cancelling sports when I got iptv.

Walked past a local house today and noticed the LNB had at least 6 outputs coming from it!! I don't suppose Sky ever replace old Sky+ boxes with Sky Q boxes for no extra charge? I've been with them since 1990 and never had any benefit for my loyalty. Saved loads per month by cancelling sports when I got iptv.

Same, I've got bugger all for the years I've been with them. Contract is up next month and unless they give me the TV for free I'll be cancelling. I literally never use it anymore. The q box has been broken for months and I've never missed it or bothered to get it fixed