Sky Q

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I am considering switching my broadband from Sky to another provider. I assume if I do this it will have no impact on Sky Q ie you don't need to have Sky broadband to use it do you?

No, unless you use the boxes as wifi extenders. That only works with Sky broadband. Normal watching tv, streaming, on demand etc works with any broadband

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

No, unless you use the boxes as wifi extenders. That only works with Sky broadband. Normal watching tv, streaming, on demand etc works with any broadband

Thanks.

The Sky engineer did end up giving us a wifi extender when installing the min boxes in the bedrooms so will bear that in mind.

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Thanks.

The Sky engineer did end up giving us a wifi extender when installing the min boxes in the bedrooms so will bear that in mind.

Really? I thought the whole point of the Q and mini boxes was that they connected up and gave you wifi!

39 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Really? I thought the whole point of the Q and mini boxes was that they connected up and gave you wifi!

Yeah. I can't recall exactly but I'm sure he said the signal to the mini boxes wasn't strong enough or something like that.

• 3 months later...

Not specific to Sky but seems as good a thread as any. Seemingly you can now get the Ultimate on Demand package for just an extra £3 a month. I have the boxsets add-on so it's offering it to me for £2 a month. Seems a decent way to get Netflix.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-ultimate-on-demand-sky-box-sets-and-netflix-3258175

Not specific to Sky but seems as good a thread as any. Seemingly you can now get the Ultimate on Demand package for just an extra £3 a month. I have the boxsets add-on so it's offering it to me for £2 a month. Seems a decent way to get Netflix.
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-ultimate-on-demand-sky-box-sets-and-netflix-3258175
It seems to be account specific. I don't get this deal sadly.

1 hour ago, RiG said:
1 hour ago, Stu said:

It seems to be account specific. I don't get this deal sadly.

Seems it's only if you have Sky Q. I already had boxsets so it's given me Netflix for £2 a month which seems good to me :)

Seems it's only if you have Sky Q. I already had boxsets so it's given me Netflix for £2 a month which seems good to me [emoji4]
I've got Sky Q and boxsets as well but it doesn't show up for me sadly.

10 hours ago, RiG said:
10 hours ago, Stu said:

I've got Sky Q and boxsets as well but it doesn't show up for me sadly.

That's what I had. Had Boxsets and Netflix seperate.

Didn't show on the app but showed up under offers on Mysky on the internet. Was paying £5 for boxsets to Sky and £6 to Netflix for premium (Turkish payment thing).

Now taken £2 off my Sky bill and premium Netflix is included.

Everyon I've spoken to has the offer as long as they have Sky Q, so worth checking again or giving them a call.

11 minutes ago, blueone said:

That's what I had. Had Boxsets and Netflix seperate.

Didn't show on the app but showed up under offers on Mysky on the internet. Was paying £5 for boxsets to Sky and £6 to Netflix for premium (Turkish payment thing).

Now taken £2 off my Sky bill and premium Netflix is included.

Everyon I've spoken to has the offer as long as they have Sky Q, so worth checking again or giving them a call.

Hmm, had a look on the the internet but not the app. I'll check that now and see what's there. Need to give Sky a call and see if I can haggle to reduce my bill actually.

ETA: Nothing in the app either.

Edited by RiG

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Getting Q installed on Sunday. Does anyone know if they need access to a room meant for an extension box or if they just need access to the room where the main box will go?

Just the main box. The mini boxes use wifi to connect to the main box. I think they'll want to setup the minis to at least test them but that can be done anywhere and you can move them yourself after.

Alternatively, just release her from the sex dungeon before he comes. Probably best all round

On 11/12/2020 at 16:45, Mr X said:

Just the main box. The mini boxes use wifi to connect to the main box. I think they'll want to setup the minis to at least test them but that can be done anywhere and you can move them yourself after.

No, they usually insist on installing the mini boxes where you intend to have them. The installers aren’t supposed to leave until you have a working system. 

Of course, @welshbairn doesn’t need to be honest when it comes to saying where the mini boxes are going. But bear in mind the installer won’t leave any extenders if the boxes work fine wherever he sets them up, and there’s a risk that moving them to their intended destination puts them too far from another “node” (main box, router etc.). 

4 minutes ago, The Master said:

No, they usually insist on installing the mini boxes where you intend to have them. The installers aren’t supposed to leave until you have a working system. 

Of course, @welshbairn doesn’t need to be honest when it comes to saying where the mini boxes are going. But bear in mind the installer won’t leave any extenders if the boxes work fine wherever he sets them up, and there’s a risk that moving them to their intended destination puts them too far from another “node” (main box, router etc.). 

Thanks for the warning, I better get busy. :rolleyes:

That was easy. Had to work in the room where the mini box was going so I set up the telly and let him get on with it. So I got a new main box, mini box, satellite dish replacement and full installation absolutely free, and for some reason our monthly fee is a few quid cheaper. Think he threw in ultra HD as well. 

P.S. When I say free, I dread to think how many thousands I've paid to Sky over the years.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, UAE1929 said:

Prime now on the app section if of use to anyone. 

Nice one. Had it on the TV apps before I got Q, but for some reason live streams like tennis wouldn't work, had to use a firestick. Hopefully that will sort it. Didn't bother me but it was a pain sorting it out for someone else in the house who needed it.