Sky Q

On 19/09/2018 at 21:01, Mr X said:

See Netflix is coming to Sky Q. Its something I've always wondered why they didnt have but also thinking they might have missed the boat with pretty much every tv being "smart" these days.

I think the intention is for it to be fully integrated - so you'd have Stranger Things and The Crown alongside Game of Thrones and Lucky Man in the On Demand section.

Which would be kind of cool, especially because there's still a certain "clunkiness" to opening the Netflix App on TVs, waiting for it to load, choosing the right profile...

I think the intention is for it to be fully integrated - so you'd have Stranger Things and The Crown alongside Game of Thrones and Lucky Man in the On Demand section.
Which would be kind of cool, especially because there's still a certain "clunkiness" to opening the Netflix App on TVs, waiting for it to load, choosing the right profile...
That would be pretty cool, although it would change how Netflix content is delivered - everything is on sky is downloaded rather than streamed.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:
11 hours ago, The Master said:

That would be pretty cool, although it would change how Netflix content is delivered - everything is on sky is downloaded rather than streamed.

The Netflix stuff could just be a link on the interface  that still brings it as a stream.

Although Sky are now moving towards streaming via Sky Q. The red button English Championship games and match choice in the Nations League are streamed in HD via the internet. 

The Netflix stuff could just be a link on the interface  that still brings it as a stream.
Although Sky are now moving towards streaming via Sky Q. The red button English Championship games and match choice in the Nations League are streamed in HD via the internet. 
The FAQs are a bit confusing, to be honest. Looks like it will be a combination of streaming and download content but it does look like it will be a Netflix app but the content will be promoted on sky Q homepage (no idea if it will appear in search)

There are several options in terms of paying that I couldn't be bothered reading in detail [emoji23]

Had a bit more of a read of the FAQs today. 

It will be a Netflix app on Sky Q, same as theres a spotify app just now. However, recommendations will appear in your Sky Q homepage alongside stuff broadcast on Sky.

You can either sign in with your existing Netflix account or pay for Netflix via Sky.

Looks like its more expensive via Sky too - £10 for standard netflix (2 screens) plus £12 for premium (4 screens and UHD) plus £20 for the Entertainment bundle

However, whats not obvious is how some of this compares to the existing packages. I already have Sky Q "Experience" apparently, which is the £12 premium netflix package. I think I also already have the Entertainment bundle, so I might not have anything extra to pay (???) or I might have to pay £10 for the Ultimate On Demand package, which includes Sky box sets - but I already have them!!  :unsure2:

On 22/09/2018 at 23:24, The Master said:

Ive always wondered how virgin etc cant get netflix working well when accessing it from a ps4 etc is fucking flawless 

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Ive always wondered how virgin etc cant get netflix working well when accessing it from a ps4 etc is fucking flawless 

Same. As I said, I always thought that Sky were missing a trick not having it available. I can only imagine the issues were more down to the licensing of the content rather than technical issues - or it might have been a contractual thing, given that Sky are offering netflix access direct through them.

Either way, I still think theyve missed the boat a bit. A few years ago this could have been a real game changer but I cant see there being a huge untapped market of netflix users and I cant see anyone going for Sky Q just for access to netflix.

7 hours ago, Mr X said:

Had a bit more of a read of the FAQs today. 

It will be a Netflix app on Sky Q, same as theres a spotify app just now. However, recommendations will appear in your Sky Q homepage alongside stuff broadcast on Sky.

You can either sign in with your existing Netflix account or pay for Netflix via Sky.

Looks like its more expensive via Sky too - £10 for standard netflix (2 screens) plus £12 for premium (4 screens and UHD) plus £20 for the Entertainment bundle

However, whats not obvious is how some of this compares to the existing packages. I already have Sky Q "Experience" apparently, which is the £12 premium netflix package. I think I also already have the Entertainment bundle, so I might not have anything extra to pay (???) or I might have to pay £10 for the Ultimate On Demand package, which includes Sky box sets - but I already have them!!  :unsure2:

It is a bit confusing. Guess it will all become clear when it starts. The way I'm reading it is that it's more an add on to an existing Sky package rather than signing up for Netflix through Sky.

My Sky package is Entertainment, 2TB UHD with mini box and Box Sets. I could be wrong but I'm thinking as I have these already I should be able to add UHD Netflix for £5 extra a month.

Also I think that to get the Netflix stuff on the Sky Q homepage you  maybe  have to pay for the Netflix bit through Sky otherwise you can just  use the app? Either way you can access Netflix as normal on any other device.

9 hours ago, blueone said:

It is a bit confusing. Guess it will all become clear when it starts. The way I'm reading it is that it's more an add on to an existing Sky package rather than signing up for Netflix through Sky.

My Sky package is Entertainment, 2TB UHD with mini box and Box Sets. I could be wrong but I'm thinking as I have these already I should be able to add UHD Netflix for £5 extra a month.

Also I think that to get the Netflix stuff on the Sky Q homepage you  maybe  have to pay for the Netflix bit through Sky otherwise you can just  use the app? Either way you can access Netflix as normal on any other device.

Lets hope you're right, as Im pretty sure I have the same!

Im sure I read you can link your netflix account to sky even if you continue to pay for it direct with netflix :unsure2:

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Anyone upgraded to get Netflix through sky yet? I tried just to see how much it would be but got an error.

The app worked fine but its exactly the same as the app on the smart TV and as the remote has a button to launch Netflix it's easier to use that than navigating to it on sky.

Apparently Sky have been inundated with calls as it appears that people who tried to upgrade online or via the box lost any discounts they had on their package which is probably why there are errors showing now.

Just briefly been playing about with it. Rather than hunt for the app and go in that way go to "on demand" and netflix. Clicking on anything puts you straight in .

Voice search doesn't seem to be working but the magnifying glass on the remote allows you to search Netflix and again go straight to that programme.

Also appears to be streaming and not involving any downloading.

10 hours ago, blueone said:

Apparently Sky have been inundated with calls as it appears that people who tried to upgrade online or via the box lost any discounts they had on their package which is probably why there are errors showing now.

Just briefly been playing about with it. Rather than hunt for the app and go in that way go to "on demand" and netflix. Clicking on anything puts you straight in .

Voice search doesn't seem to be working but the magnifying glass on the remote allows you to search Netflix and again go straight to that programme.

Also appears to be streaming and not involving any downloading.

That would explain why I couldnt upgrade through the box :lol:

Im not really complaining about how Sky have done it, just saying that its not made things any easier for most smart tv users.

Given that all theyve done is taken the app and made it run on their box the fact that its streaming isnt really a surprise. Its certainly not as integrated as it maybe could have been

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

That would explain why I couldnt upgrade through the box :lol:

Im not really complaining about how Sky have done it, just saying that its not made things any easier for most smart tv users.

Given that all theyve done is taken the app and made it run on their box the fact that its streaming isnt really a surprise. Its certainly not as integrated as it maybe could have been

People are reporting that if you switch your subscription to be through Sky rather than directly with Netflix, Netflix stuff will appear on the home screen alongside Sky stuff (something I guessed at further up the thread).

If this then learns what you watch and puts those Netflix series on the home screen to watch the next episode with a single button press without needing to navigate through profiles etc. that would be cool.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

People are reporting that if you switch your subscription to be through Sky rather than directly with Netflix, Netflix stuff will appear on the home screen alongside Sky stuff (something I guessed at further up the thread).

If this then learns what you watch and puts those Netflix series on the home screen to watch the next episode with a single button press without needing to navigate through profiles etc. that would be cool.

That would be cool

ETA - although its hard to see how it would handle multi Netflix profiles

Edited by Mr X

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Still getting an error trying to upgrade via the box. The website pages get so far before I get a server error and the upgrade page on the app says I have to call because I have to upgrade to Sky Q - despite the My Account page saying I already have it

:rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Similar issue here. From what I've read it seems to be trickier for people who've had Sky Q from it's early days.

On 03/11/2018 at 12:59, Ro Sham Bo said:

As well as through the app I can now access it via on demand after rebooting my box. It's automatically bringing up my most recently watched Netflix shows even though I've yet to watch anything on it through Sky.

Ooooo ... nice. I'll give that a go later

ETA - same for me :) although it still looks like I have to go into the On demand section to see it. Im guessing this means theres no actual advantage to paying for Netflix via Sky (other than potentially saving some money) and that it works the same even if you just login with an existing netflix account

Edited by Mr X

• 2 months later...

I just got it installed today. Almost two years after first ordering it.

Arsehole factors on a private development to blame with spurious objections. Dunedin Canmore/YourPlace (Edinburgh) -yes I am looking at you here.

Took us a while  to get them binned. Now they are gone, hey presto, install goes without a hitch.

Anyway, all is looking good. Looking forward to watching some football and films on ultra HD.

The layout is very different from HD, but I am sure we will get there soon enough. :)

• 1 month later...