Early Season "Opt-out" games - keep or drop?

Early Season opt-out - Keep or drop?  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We should always aim to have all teams in the league on a Sunday night at having the same number of games played. Postponements should be for exceptional circumstances only. Like the weather or all of Motherwell contracting Ebola for example.

Does my fucking tits in to be 2 games into the season and for there to be games in hand already. Totally unnecessary and if Celtic prefer to play Barcelona over Patrick or Dundee then they are welcome to take the cash at the cost of conceding 3 points. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a farce rule designed to assist the Glasgow pair to arrange financially beneficial glamour friendlies. f**k it and f**k them.

I agree with this.  But let's remember it's not Celtic or Sevco that make the rules it's the SPFL board that is voted into place by all the other clubs.

I think we should be critical of these things, but let's be clear who we should be criticising.  Any club chairman who comes out and criticises the postponement of a game for their club as a result of this is a hypocrite.

I don't see anything wrong with postponing games as long as both clubs agree, however if it's to play a 'glamour friendly' then you should only be allowed to postpone a home game. It's not fair for the other club to miss out on their opening home game of the season for a shitey friendly.

Parkhead capacity ; 60,000.

Actual attendance : 13,000.

Dens Park capacity : 11,000

Actual attendance : 6,500.

Seat to punter ratio, you're empty shell of a ground loses out all ends up.

Not quite grasping the idea of a 'glamour friendly' are we?

Nae passport??

I imagine you may have to 'justify' the game you want to cancel to the SPFL Board, btw?

That would make cancelling a game to troll Celtic - or more realistically, to (say) avoid a tough match early in the campaign - impossible.

Since the idea was introduced only Rangers and Celtic - and Hibs once - have used it for glamour friendlies.

Aberdeen have also used it in the wake of EL ties.

It's always been a home game postponed, but I've observed a potential complication with that this time.

I imagine you may have to 'justify' the game you want to cancel to the SPFL Board, btw?

That would make cancelling a game to troll Celtic - or more realistically, to (say) avoid a tough match early in the campaign - impossible.

Since the idea was introduced only Rangers and Celtic - and Hibs once - have used it for glamour friendlies.

Aberdeen have also used it in the wake of EL ties.

It's always been a home game postponed, but I've observed a potential complication with that this time.

When's the first International break next season?

September 3rd.

Usual subsequent international breaks on October 8th, November 12th, March 25th.

SPFL has also announced there's a 2-weekend winter break on January 7th & 14th - however the season does finish a week later than this season.

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/201617-league-cup-final-in-november/

http://spfl.co.uk/key-dates/

No postponements should be allowed.

Which raises an interesting question.

If Celtic win the league (which they clearly expect to: their 2 preceding ICC friendlies are on Saturdays after EL ties on preceding Thursdays), you would expect them to open with a home flag raiser on the first weekend...

However, this would usually mean being away the following weekend - which would mean them cancelling someone else's home game, not one of their own.

Alternatively, they could be given two home games in a row to begin the first two weekends, but that means someone else being given two aways in a row.

It was this scenario that made me think about it in the first place. The other point is that given clubs are all into their sports science, etc now - it can't be great building your squad up to match fitness for the opening day only to have them idle for the next fortnight.. 

Thanks.

So one team is going to start their season with -

Game

No game

Game

Game

No game.

That's a great way to 'sell the product'.

Worse than that. Remember that SPFL have decided to play the League Cup SFs and Final in the autumn. In a worst-case scenario this could be a schedule for August-November, even without a cancellation against say Aberdeen too. (I'm assuming LC SFs still on weekend and in late October).

Aug 06 - game

Aug 13 - no game (opponent Celtic playing glamour friendly)

Aug 20 - game

Aug 27 - game

Sep 03 - no game (international break)

Sep 10 - game

Sep 17 - game

Sep 24 - game

Oct 01 - game

Oct 08 - no game (international break)

Oct 15 - game

Oct 22 - no game (opponent in LC SF)

Oct 29 - game

Nov 05 - game

Nov 12 - no game (international break)

Nov 19 - game

Nov 26 - no game (opponent in LC Final)

Worse than that. Remember that SPFL have decided to play the League Cup SFs and Final in the autumn. In a worst-case scenario this could be a schedule for August-November, even without a cancellation against say Aberdeen too. (I'm assuming LC SFs still on weekend and in late October).

Aug 06 - game

Aug 13 - no game (opponent Celtic playing glamour friendly)

Aug 20 - game

Aug 27 - game

Sep 03 - no game (international break)

Sep 10 - game

Sep 17 - game

Sep 24 - game

Oct 01 - game

Oct 08 - no game (international break)

Oct 15 - game

Oct 22 - no game (opponent in LC SF)

Oct 29 - game

Nov 05 - game

Nov 12 - no game (international break)

Nov 19 - game

Nov 26 - no game (opponent in LC Final)

It's ridiculous.

I'm all for the change back to the League Cup being completed by Christmas though. The problem is the intrusion into the domestic game by FIFA & UEFA to build up their parts.

I can see the reasoning behind cancellations to help with competitive games, even though I don't agree with it, and think that if a game is set for a date, it should be played on that date unless it's forced off.

Postponements for friendlies are an absolute farce though.

There should never be any postponements to the league schedule. The fixtures are decided and you should play them. End of. 

However, this ICC tournament is dumb (in Celtic's case anyway) - it's stupid that they're holding the tournament at all, never mind from the end of July to the middle of August. If you take that out of the mix, then maybe Celtic would do better in Europe (and wouldn't have to postpone league games).

When you take into account Euro 2016, Champions League qualifiers etc (may I add, tournaments which must take place), it's all too much for clubs like Celtic. Another argument, which I won't go into, is that 1st place in the Scottish Prem doesn't at least get straight into the play-offs or even into the group stage.

Basically, Celtic only accepted their invitation because they're far more interested in the financial gains of the ICC as opposed to their performance in the Champions League qualifiers, which is a real shame. They have enough money as it is anyway.

There should never be any postponements to the league schedule. The fixtures are decided and you should play them. End of. 

However, this ICC tournament is dumb (in Celtic's case anyway) - it's stupid that they're holding the tournament at all, never mind from the end of July to the middle of August. If you take that out of the mix, then maybe Celtic would do better in Europe (and wouldn't have to postpone league games).

When you take into account Euro 2016, Champions League qualifiers etc (may I add, tournaments which must take place), it's all too much for clubs like Celtic. Another argument, which I won't go into, is that 1st place in the Scottish Prem doesn't at least get straight into the play-offs or even into the group stage.

Basically, Celtic only accepted their invitation because they're far more interested in the financial gains of the ICC as opposed to their performance in the Champions League qualifiers, which is a real shame. They have enough money as it is anyway.

And aye, forgot about the League Cup. Makes things even worse.

Archived