The Play-Offs 15/16

Clubs can charge relatively speaking whatever they want. Away club has no say. As long as the home fans and away fans aren't charged different pricing for equivalent accommodation, the SPFL set minimum charges are met and the SPFL are given half the gate receipts, the actual price charged beyond that is up to the home club. The prices weren't the same for you at Palmerston as they were for us at Falkirk when we met in the playoffs. Rangers charged £5 across the board for all tickets at last year's playoff but we charged normal league pricing.

Cheers SD

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in February I was all set to finish 3rd and give the playoffs a good go.

We seemed to have planned for being in the Championship next season and with Hibs and Rangers both in the Championship, I'd made peace that this season was a write off.

It took me a while but I soon realised both Hibs and Rangers were gash and I'd gave then too much respect.

Had Grant and McGrandles stayed fit I'd say we would be comfortably 2nd and possibly even giving Rangers a chase for the title.

As it stands we are 2nd despite our problems and in a fantastic position to get to the playoff final.

If we go out the playoffs and fail to win promotion it certainly won't be the end of the world.

Kilmarnock and Hibs probably have more to fear here than Falkirk and Raith do.

Cheers SD

The way I see it for a team like us these are extra fixtures. We shouldnt be looking to make loads of cash from them but should simply be looking to cover all costs and get as many home fans through the door as possible. The more home fans you have the better chance you have of roaring the team on to victory so no point in setting a ticket price that will scare fans away.

Guest Back Post Misses

I think Raith are a better side this season than Queens were last year, so 2nd v 3rd is more valuable.

Short memory I think. QOS were excellent last season

You only need look at where all their good players went and compare that to what will happen to RR players at the end of this season to tell you they are nowhere near as good.

Their better players are at places like Hibs, Ross County, St.Johnstone and Dundee now. On top of that they kept the likes of Lyle, Russell and Higgins

Are the SPFL not given 42.5% of the gate receipts? (100-15)/2

The minimum price this season is £12 (£6 concessions) for the QF and SF and £18 (£12 concessions) for the final.

Probably. I know the rules were being changed to accommodate expenses. I didn't look up the actual phrasing, I've had no reason to as we're not in them. Saying "half" was not meant to be taken literally. The formula should in theory see the League take 50% of the profits from the gate net of VAT.

Lets face it hes just trying to deflect away from the fact that any decent manager would have Hibs comfortable in at least 2nd place with the budget and facilities they have available.  3rd place would be far from a massive blow for us. It would simply make our chance of promotion a bit harder and it was always going to be a long shot anyway considering the fact that hibs or rangers and then an SPL side in the playoffs were always going to be tough to overcome. Huge achievement having got to this stage and lost half the games Hibs have and less than the actual champions.

Calm down. You're thinking too much about respective expectations at the start of the season rather than where Falkirk and Hibs actually are at this moment in time.  Of course 3rd place wouldn't be a massive blow but I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be a pretty big disappointment under the circumstances. 

As for Stubbs, do you really expect him to come out with an honest and realistic appraisal of the last 8 months just as we're about to enter the play offs or do what basically every other manager would do and try to gain a slight (if possible) competitive edge via the media?  This is really basic stuff and nothing particularly surprising.

I'll happily swap 2nd comfortably for 2 cup finals cheers.

The way Rangers are going only fatigue could kill you for the cup final, best to concentrate on the cup.....

Amazing to think of the excitement that this season still has left and yet it took the SFA so long to actually get play offs involved. A few years ago the league would have been done and dusted in early april

They still need to mirror the play offs to be consistent through the leagues, 2nd bottom should be playing 4th, this playing  6 games in 18 days is a joke and even the 4 games in 11 days for a 2nd place team is still a joke

Dont think the playoffs should be mirrored from the other leagues.

Its entirely fair for 4th place to play more games and have a harder route than say second place.  But 11th should have it equally hard IMO.

Back in February I was all set to finish 3rd and give the playoffs a good go.

We seemed to have planned for being in the Championship next season and with Hibs and Rangers both in the Championship, I'd made peace that this season was a write off.

It took me a while but I soon realised both Hibs and Rangers were gash and I'd gave then too much respect.

Had Grant and McGrandles stayed fit I'd say we would be comfortably 2nd and possibly even giving Rangers a chase for the title.

As it stands we are 2nd despite our problems and in a fantastic position to get to the playoff final.

If we go out the playoffs and fail to win promotion it certainly won't be the end of the world.

Kilmarnock and Hibs probably have more to fear here than Falkirk and Raith do.

If my aunty had baws type of post

Short memory I think. QOS were excellent last season

You only need look at where all their good players went and compare that to what will happen to RR players at the end of this season to tell you they are nowhere near as good.

Their better players are at places like Hibs, Ross County, St.Johnstone and Dundee now. On top of that they kept the likes of Lyle, Russell and Higgins

This. Some of our football last season was outstanding. We outpointed Hibs & Rangers on a head to head basis and finished with 60 points despite basically chucking the last game and in a season where we had Hearts at this level too (and got no points at all from them). We were a spectacular late header off the line from Vukcic away from taking Rangers to extra time over two legs in the playoffs too.

There were a lot of similarities between our season last year and Falkirk's this. Falkirk have more points but they haven't had an extra big team to deal with as we had Hearts. We both beat Rangers at home twice. We both spent a chunk of the season actually ahead of Hibs though to be fair Falkirk have kept that going longer than we did last year. Hibs fixture pile up may have contributed to that though.

Guest Flash

Probably. I know the rules were being changed to accommodate expenses. I didn't look up the actual phrasing, I've had no reason to as we're not in them. Saying "half" was not meant to be taken literally. The formula should in theory see the League take 50% of the profits from the gate net of VAT.

If you didn't know what the rule is now and had no reason to look it up, it would have been useful to say that you were summarising the old rule and not the current one.

Dont think the playoffs should be mirrored from the other leagues.

Its entirely fair for 4th place to play more games and have a harder route than say second place. But 11th should have it equally hard IMO.

Imo it should just be 2nd vs 11th. Over a 36 game season the side in 2nd has already proven they're better than 3rd/4th.

If you didn't know what the rule is now and had no reason to look it up, it would have been useful to say that you were summarising the old rule and not the current one.

Except I wasn't summarising the old one, and I actually did look up the pricing part. I just didn't bother to check what it said about share of expenses. Apologies for not considering the possibility of someone nit picking their way through the phrase "half the gate receipts". It's still meant to lead to them getting half the net gate receipts. The question posed originally didn't ask for that minutia. It was about the rights of clubs to decide the pricing.

Imo it should just be 2nd vs 11th. Over a 36 game season the side in 2nd has already proven they're better than 3rd/4th.

11th v 3rd ....winners meet 2nd....both over two legs

11th place are being rewarded for being shit

Guest Flash

Except I wasn't summarising the old one, and I actually did look up the pricing part. I just didn't bother to check what it said about share of expenses. Apologies for not considering the possibility of someone nit picking their way through the phrase "half the gate receipts". It's still meant to lead to them getting half the net gate receipts. The question posed originally didn't ask for that minutia. It was about the rights of clubs to decide the pricing.

Well, it is the same as somebody saying cup gates are split 50/50 when they're not. Something I think you have nit-pickingly pointed out more than once.

Then they should be good enough over two legs to beat the winner of that tie. 

One leg, fine - but a two legged tie leaves no excuses really. 

Its far easier to do well in a cup than it is a league. Hughes took us to a cup final and we nearly got relegated. Even Pressley managed to get us to cup semi finals and yet never got us near competing for the league title. A real top manager shows his ability in getting the most out of his team over a league season and Stubbs has struggled to do that over the last two seasons.
Last season we finished second ahead of rangers and miles ahead of falkrik so that's wrong.This season third, two finals knocking out lots of big clubs on the way to both isn't the best
Its far easier to do well in a cup than it is a league. Hughes took us to a cup final and we nearly got relegated. Even Pressley managed to get us to cup semi finals and yet never got us near competing for the league title. A real top manager shows his ability in getting the most out of his team over a league season and Stubbs has struggled to do that over the last two seasons.
It's far easier to reach the two national finalsmin one season knocking out many prem clubs in both? The Scottish was a great achievement for falkirk last season and that was with no playoff. We are third at least and in both finals, 90 mins away from the holy grail. I'll take that any day of the wk.Last season second ahead of rangers, how's that struggling exactly? You said it yourself its easier to win or lose knockout games and that's what happened at ibrox in last year's play-off.'

What on goal diff as it will come down to Sunday? Falkirk haven't beaten 3rd this season either so you must be trolling.

Archived