Stephen Finnie - Worst Referee In Scotland?

I know of at least 1 Bloo toon supporter who'd agree wholeheartedly with you. He'll be along shortly........

Think that may well be me! fortunately we have not had much dealings with him for some time. As Monetoon obviously knows the mention of Mr Finnies name used to send me into meltdown. My original gripe goes back a number of years to a game against Queens Park at Balmoor, everyone knew he was going to give them something late on & sure enough he gave them a mystery pen in stoppage time, Paul Mathers saved it & Finnie ordered it to be re-taken which I am sure he would have kept doing until they eventually equalized. Has never impressed me mainly because of his attitude, think he works in the prison service & always comes across as having a look at me attitude loving giving out lectures with the finger wagging pose & does not want any interaction with the players. Have found over the years its always better to have him away from home as he seems to enjoy annoying the normally bigger home support by giving the home team less. Unfortunately he is not alone in the poor officials stakes as some others leave a lot to be desired as well

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His handling of the replay Forfar v Linlithgow Rose Cup game was atrocious - firstly he let some hooligans from the central belt run riot with their smoke bombs and pyros, then he forced the floodlights to fail for the first time in living memory.  If he never appears at Station Park again, it'll be too soon.

Was that not the same ref who Stirling were losing their rag over a few weeks ago?

Sure was POTM. I thought I had seen it all (both in favour and again my team) in 28 years of watching football, however Mick Roncorne really took the biscuit that night. He should have been suspended for a week or 2 after that display but hay ho.

Yeah that was him but then again Stirling were maybe just raging in general after getting beat by Clyde. :) When both set of supporters are raging about a ref you know it ain't been a good day for the ref.

There are bompot posters on here for every club, however the majority of our supporters don't tend to blame officials for our defeats, As I said above, Roncorne was just beyond appalling that night. Quite a lot of Clyde fans actually agreed until they got a few bites from some of our support.

As for Finnie, I've crossed him through work a few times and he's as arrogant off the park as he is on it. I've not heard anyone say anything good about him. As a ref, he's actually someone who I can't say I have come across all to often.

As for Finnie, I've crossed him through work a few times and he's as arrogant off the park as he is on it. I've not heard anyone say anything good about him. As a ref, he's actually someone who I can't say I have come across all to often.

Going by the comments on here most folk find that the worst thing about him, he is never happy unless everyone knows he is there. Went to a Ross County/Hibs game a couple years back as a neutral & still came away from the game wound up about Finnie, made himself the centre of attention by his display & the actual game faded in the memory.

Going by the comments on here most folk find that the worst thing about him, he is never happy unless everyone knows he is there. Went to a Ross County/Hibs game a couple years back as a neutral & still came away from the game wound up about Finnie, made himself the centre of attention by his display & the actual game faded in the memory.

Was expecting at least a 2 page rant :lol:

It's not the bad decisions that annoy me most about him it's the attitude that means that everyone needs to know he's there.

Stopping the play to speak to people and lecturing players and managers is not what fans pay to see.

Arsehole.

His handling of the replay Forfar v Linlithgow Rose Cup game was atrocious - firstly he let some hooligans from the central belt run riot with their smoke bombs and pyros, then he forced the floodlights to fail for the first time in living memory. If he never appears at Station Park again, it'll be too soon.

To be fair, I thought that was one of his better games

It's not the bad decisions that annoy me most about him it's the attitude that means that everyone needs to know he's there.

Stopping the play to speak to people and lecturing players and managers is not what fans pay to see.

Arsehole.

Correct. He is good for uniting opposing fans though.

Because he didn't give the penalty you were all shouting for, he gave the free kick shortly after as a reaction. Was a very soft free kick in a dangerous position but he gives it as a reaction to your reaction to his reaction (ignoring) to your penalty appeal. It's all a chain reaction.

Happens all the time.

Because he didn't give the penalty you were all shouting for, he gave the free kick shortly after as a reaction. Was a very soft free kick in a dangerous position but he gives it as a reaction to your reaction to his reaction (ignoring) to your penalty appeal. It's all a chain reaction.

Happens all the time.

Reaction.

Archived