Troon v Pollok

Larky55

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A goal fest in prospect here. Troon won with alarming ease at Pollok earlier in the season.

I'm taking Pollok to return home with the spoils with a 3-5 victory.

cant make the game this week, but im saying 0-3 pollok

Troon look to be on an excellent run again after their blip in the Scottish.

Except an extremely hard game in a place that If I recall correctly we have often struggled.

Troon very much the favourites IMO and would take a point that would consolidate our place in the Premier for 2016/17.

Except an extremely hard game in a place that If I recall correctly we have often struggled.

Don't mention struggle,s. Ive tipped Pollok to gub Troon 3-5.

Troon very much the favourites IMO and would take a point that would consolidate our place in the Premier for 2016/17.

Except an extremely hard game in a place that If I recall correctly we have often struggle.

Don't mention struggle,s. I've tipped Pollok to gub Troon 3-5.

Fantastic game in prospect, really looking forward to it!

I think the first game of the season has very little relevance on tomorrow, we have both evolved a lot this season & there's more at stake in this game.

Whatever happens, I think it'll be very close & very, very tight between two of the top sides in the Juniors. Talk of 2/3 goals between us seems fanciful.

Definitely one not to miss though, going to be a cracker!!

Brings back memories of the time Lok went down there in 2004 or so and Strain Sr had a complete meltdown as Ross Haswell, cutting his teeth as a Junior ref, sent off a handful of his players and gave us our pre-allocated penalty too. :lol:

Edit: it's on Youtube! :lol:

Brings back memories of the time Lok went down there in 2004 or so and Strain Sr had a complete meltdown as Ross Haswell, cutting his teeth as a Junior ref, sent off a handful of his players and gave us our pre-allocated penalty too. :lol:

Edit: it's on Youtube! :lol:

I love old footage like this!

Place looks a bit different these days, you'll see a few improvements.

I love old footage like this!

Place looks a bit different these days, you'll see a few improvements.

I'll not make it unfortunately but looking forward to the 2016 version of the highlights!

I dug out the report and line-ups from that game:

Pollok must count themselves as fortunate to have taken all three points from this league clash with Troon at Portland Park, a game played among a murky drizzle and chilly breeze. Beforehand there was a slight hitch whereby two of the match officials failed to make kick off, meaning that the young referee took charge alone, with club officials to back him up. Proper assistants appeared for the second half. The only change to the Lok lineup was Nelson coming in for crocked Haggarty.

The game began scrappily with neither side really staking any claim to be dominant, but in 21 minutes Troon went close when a Strain shot was headed away by Heaton. The opener came two minutes later though when the Lok right was posted missing, meaning that the Lok left moved over to compensate, but that then gave Strain space in behind where McWilliams was before. A twisty turn from the former Buffs star later and ALAN MCTURK was in space at the angle of the area on the left side and he fired a low shot past Wilson.

Troon by now were dominating against a tired-looking Lok, and McTurk shot wide from a Graham layoff. Pollok's best chance came in the 39th minute when from a Tinney free-kick, Nelson forced Adam Strain into action but the 23-year-old ex-Killie goalie made a block. Logan then headed over as Lok looked for the leveller.

Pollok began the second half brightly, with Strain denying Logan, and Friels was then denied in the 50th minute. Raymond Logan's game came to a premature end in the 63rd minute when he was kicked off the ball and he was replaced by Mark McKeever. Gavin Friels then saw a header deflected over as Lok still pressed for an equaliser.

Troon youngster Jamie Moan should have killed the game dead in the 76th minute when he sprung clear on the right, and despite flicking the ball beyond Wilson, Derek Heaton charged after the ball to hook it to safety off the line. Troon again went close when in the 80th minute Jim Duffy headed onto the bar, and those collective misses cost them dearly soon after.

A minute on, Lok had broken away at the other end and McLauchlan was brought down right on the egde of the area, and although as his standing leg was inside when it was hooked away, the referee made the brave call of awarding a penalty, Lok's first of the season. From the spot, JOHN TINNEY made no mistake. But considering his phenominal record with penalties (particularly with Benburb) over the years, that's no surprise. As the players moved back up the pitch for the restart, Chris Strain Jr, who had been booked a few seconds earlier, said something to the referee and was dismissed amid heated protests.

Pollok pushed for the winner, and Tinney lashed a shot wide in the 89th minute. Deep into stoppage time, time added for Logan's injury, Nelson prepared to flight a free-kick upfield, but before he started, Heaton was pole-axed off the ball. After consultation with his assistant, the referee dismissed Stevie Watson, despite claims of mistaken identity, for violent conduct. Chris Strain Sr was then dispatched from the touchline for his protests.

Time continued to go on and right at the death Wilson launched the ball forwards. Sub Jordan then released McLauchlan on the right and the Lok veteran, only a few weeks shy of 35 and still with energy in the 95th minute, kept his nerve to lash the winner beyond Adam Strain. Jason Stewart boiled over and said something to the assistant who again atrracted the ref's attention who duly awarded him a second yellow. The final whistle sounded eventually amid further heated scenes around the tunnel area.

Troon: A. Strain, Mason, Houston, Stewart, Watson, Moan, C. Strain, Duffy, McTurk, Turner, Graham (sub 66 for McCormick). Not used: Elliot, B. Strain, Haswell, Thomson.

Booked: Mason 42, Stewart 53, C. Strain 81)

Sent off: C. Strain 81, Watson 89, Stewart 90

Pollok: Wilson, McWilliams (sub 90 for Jordan), Nelson, Aitchison, Heaton, McClay, Stewart, Logan (sub 64 for McKeever), McLauchlan, Friels (sub 77 for Proctor), Tinney. Not used: Paterson, Burns.

Booked: McClay 44, McLauchlan 79

Archived