Land Reform

Anyone bothered?

Land Reform Bill went through final reading in Holyrood today.

Lots of positives. The fact there is a new bill in first place. End of tax relief on shooting estates. Enhanced rights for community buy out. A land register so we actually know who owns the land.

Where the govt have shat it. No end to land being owned in tax havens. No land value tax on derelict land.

Although we have a huge problem with "sporting" estates and their ecological vandalism, restrictions on economic development and the hoovering up of green energy grants (as was) and agricultural grants into the pockets of a wealthy few, the next leap forward will be to see this as more than a rural issue.

House prices, derelict land and the poor health and social outcomes correlated with derelict land, housing availability, building on green belt etc are all urban issues which land reform would tackle.

If anyone interested Andy wightmans blog is essential reading.

Anyone bothered?

Lots of positives. The fact there is a new bill in first place. End of tax relief on shooting estates. Enhanced rights for community buy out. A land register so we actually know who owns the land.

Where the govt have shat it. No end to land being owned in tax havens. No land value tax on derelict land.

Although we have a huge problem with "sporting" estates and their ecological vandalism, restrictions on economic development and the hoovering up of green energy grants (as was) and agricultural grants into the pockets of a wealthy few, the next leap forward will be to see this as more than a rural issue.

House prices, derelict land and the poor health and social outcomes correlated with derelict land, housing availability, building on green belt etc are all urban issues which land reform would tackle.

I listened to the report on this on Radio Scotland this morning and almost nodded off. I was driving at the time.

Anyone bothered?

Yeah I am bothered. As you said there are some good points but once again I think that the SNP have failed to be bold enough. Andy Whightman should have just written the bill and the SNP sign off on it.

The biggest issue is that the SNP have now passed multiple land reform bills and we are still not where we need to be in terms of ownership and making sure that land is suitably used for the benefit of all or where this is not the case, the owner is suitably taxed to the point where it makes financial sense to utilise the land in an alternative manner.

Dissapointed once again.

It's easy to be disappointed, but you have to remember that the landowners who will loose out as a result of land reform are not going to give up their smarties without a fight.  And because they are so rich and influential, the fight will certainly not be short, simple or without serious difficulties.  It always seemed strange to me that such an important piece of legislation was taking place so close to the election.  It would surely have been better to put some of the more far reaching proposals on hold until early next parliament, when there would be plenty of time for a protracted legal battle. 

Better to take thing slowly and cautiously and make sure each step is secure. But just like independence, I suspect that the swell of public opinion is now so strongly behind significant reform that change is inevitable.

Archived