Nutmeg: The Scottish Football Periodical

I've still got plenty to read, but I've enjoyed taking my time with it.

It's well worth the money, but as I've said the standard of writing varies and the observation about typos is spot on.  There's an unusually high number for a printed publication these days.  There are bigger crimes in football writing though.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just ordered the PDF version of the first issue. Not sure how it compares with The Blizzard but a tenner for a hard copy issue every three months isn't too enticing IMO: I expected it to produce issues more frequently: eight issues a year as opposed to four ideally.  

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Just ordered the PDF version of the first issue. Not sure how it compares with The Blizzard but a tenner for a hard copy issue every three months isn't too enticing IMO: I expected it to produce issues more frequently: eight issues a year as opposed to four ideally.  

Oh right. 3 quid I see. I got it for free as a print subscriber. I suppose people will start passing it round anyway.

quarterly's fine by me if it keeps the quality up, I seem to have so much to read these days anyway.

Not usually overly picky about typos and they didn't detract from my enjoyment.Not a grammar Nazi by any means.

I just think that if they are sorted out for next time, it will make the publication look at lot more professional and serious.

I hadn't read this thread until now. I had heard about the idea for the magazine here and there but didn't realise it had started-up. I've just gone onto their website to buy a print copy... I'm not a big fan of "magazines by PDF"... or 1yr subscription but it says Issue 1 = sold-out.

Is this temporary while reprinting, or is it actually the case that if you want one you simply can't get one?

• 1 month later...

Bump. Kickstarter project update #34 reached my inbox today. Usually they delay the launch date of next issue; apologise for not delivering the magazine on time due to printer error once published; or ask me to update my address online, in case I've moved this week.

Today's was pretty differrent though. My pledge for a year of subscription didn't buy me postage of said magazine, and they want another £8 to deliver my remaining issues to me. This does buy me an upgrade from a basic plastic bag to a more robust cardboard box apparently - this is good, I'm all for robust packaging!

This £8 is voluntary but it reads as a guilt trip. We didn't consider this, well be out of pocket...

Did anybody else get this plea and do they plan to pay up?

(For what it's worth Issue 1 was a good read, but I've still got about 40 pages left and have done for a while. So it's not fully caught my imagination.)

Yeah I got the same email and to be honest coupled with the previous problems they've had it reeks of unprofessionalism. I really enjoyed the first read and I appreciate that it's not easy to set up a venture like this but this is a pretty glaring oversight. 

If issue two is excellent I'll go back and pay the postage for issues two and three (that's how far I pledged) but to be honest I'm not in the mood to be doing them a favour at the moment. 

My original paypal subscription was £35 plus £8 p+p. That was for four issues I think.

I documented on here the non-arrival of issue 1, and later arrival of a substitute, so I'm hoping for the best, shall we say, when it comes time for issue 2 to arrive.

14 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Yeah I got the same email and to be honest coupled with the previous problems they've had it reeks of unprofessionalism. I really enjoyed the first read and I appreciate that it's not easy to set up a venture like this but this is a pretty glaring oversight. 

If issue two is excellent I'll go back and pay the postage for issues two and three (that's how far I pledged) but to be honest I'm not in the mood to be doing them a favour at the moment. 

Kind of sums up my feelings too. I'm near Edinburgh and went to the launch in the very posh Signet Library where they had speeches from Stuart Cosgrove etc and free beer and wine. Not suggesting they had to pay for any of this but still... 

Anybody know what sort of print run issue 1 had?

I too got the email.  It's a pretty glaring oversight, and another cock-up in what's an ever-increasing list of cock-ups from them.

I read about half of the debut issue just after it came out while I was on holiday.  I haven't read any since, but that's down to me not finding the time to sit down and read rather than through any failings of the magazine.

However, I'm going to stump up the additional postage anyway.  I'm really supportive of what they're trying to do and the more revenue they generate the more likely they are to survive and develop their infrastructure to a level of basic competence.

But like SJB said, I really don't understand why they don't do another print run of the first issue.  I get that they might want it to stay as a collector's item, but that seems counterproductive.  Do another run, mark it as a second edition to retain the collectability of the first one, and so long as the retail price covers their costs then it's a win-win situation, surely?  The more people get to read it, the more likely they are to subscribe to future issues, tell their friends etc.

I never did get my issue although I came to it a bit late (August I think) but got a refund and a pdf but I've not even looked at it as I hate reading lengthy stuff on the computer. I'm due to get the second issue but a bit gutted to be let down with the first as I've bought and collected football magazines since I was a wee boy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived