Nutmeg: The Scottish Football Periodical

On Nutmeg, mine arrived a week or so late - they explained some problem with the mailing company or something....

I'm quite impressed with the first issue - I like long read type pieces and of what I've read so far, it's of a very decent standard (with a couple that didn't appeal to me) and has some interesting, less discussed stuff in it. I like the quality of the printing and the book like format. I'm quite encouraged and interested to see if it goes the distance...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After me slating it quite heavily, my copy finally arrived today. Not had a chance to look at it so far but it seems better quality that I had anticipated.

Still doesn't make up for the delivery issue, but might be enough to have me hooked.

On 14/09/2016 at 10:59, StuartTaylor said:

You can get the e-version (pdf) for £3 via the website. 

I've went against their ethos and bought the e-version (kudos to them for still providing one). Looks pretty good & am looking forward to settling down and reading it on my tablet when I get a break at work. Should keep me going for a while.

23 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No, I'm still waiting too.

Not heard from them since Tuesday, if it's not here by Saturday I'll just ask for a refund too.

I wouldn't do that if I was you. Nutmeg have no plans to do a second edition of Issue One. Demand is growing for the hard copy and few people are willing to part with theirs except to their closest friends on loan. Nutmeg Issue #1 is becoming a collectors piece. Can see these selling for £100 on ebay in the next couple of years, if not months. Hang on in there and make sure you get your hard copy. They're already rare as hen's teeth. I wouldn't sell mine for anything. I'm keeping it. Just for the smell alone. It's worth it!

3 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

You're probably right.

I'll see if anything turns up tomorrow and get on the blower if necessary.

My copy didn't arrive until Tuesday. I've only read Chapter One article on Meadowbank Thistle/Edinburgh City by Colin McPherson. But I've got people waiting to loan it off me. Hope to F**k they don't lose it. Gutted I didn't order two when I had the chance and keep one in pristine condition.

They're good at replying to emails. I had a few exchanges before my one arrived eventually. I did a review on Nutmeg for my fanzine before it arrived. Work that one out.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 8 and 5 Year One Issue Four Resize for Pie and Bovril.jpg

On 15/09/2016 at 13:44, Swello said:

I'm quite impressed with the first issue - I like long read type pieces and of what I've read so far, it's of a very decent standard (with a couple that didn't appeal to me) 

Which bits didn't you like and which ones impressed you? I thought the words and pictures in Grounds for Optimism - First Day of the Season were first rate. Just skipped forward to that one after reading Colin McPherson's Finding my Identity.

The article about Caley teams in 2002/03/04 is superb. My favourite time supporting the club and one I've discussed on here a few times, it's great to read it given proper analysis and discussion. Good work bunglebonce.

The Cosgrove article is excellent as well, a lot of the nostalgia for 'industrialism' in Scottish football and society is misplaced and to our detriment and Cosgrove does a great job dissecting it.

This is a fantastic offering. I am still burning my way through issue one but I have found some enjoyment in every article. The quality of the writing and the presentation is surprisingly good. There is an intriguing subject variety and it's refreshing to see relatively unexplored territory get some air time.

I am impressed and have now taken an annual subscription. If the authors and editors can maintain these standards, this project will be a success. Well done.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The article about Caley teams in 2002/03/04 is superb. My favourite time supporting the club and one I've discussed on here a few times, it's great to read it given proper analysis and discussion. Good work bunglebonce.

The Cosgrove article is excellent as well, a lot of the nostalgia for 'industrialism' in Scottish football and society is misplaced and to our detriment and Cosgrove does a great job dissecting it.

Just read the Cosgrove piece.  It is pretty good.

I like the scorn poured on the idea of Ferguson, Shankly and Stein having emerged fully formed from careers in heavy industry.

It's a bit weird though when he says that Morton haven't graced the top tier in "sixteen" years.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it now.

Overall I think it was worth the money and in the most part an enjoyable read. Could do with a bit of tighter editorial control though as quite a few typos were present throughout.

Anything that attempts to move us away from the "Celtic to sign 10 million HITMAN from England" or (for balance) "GERS to sign Van Persie" school of journalism needs to be applauded.

Personally i most enjoyed the Cosgrove piece. As an interesting follow up it would good have an article discussing whether the oil industry had any impact on Aberdeen's success during the eighties and if the city becoming wealthier affected our psyche in relation to our west coast "brothers".

i think i will splash out for a years subscription now.

Archived