Dundee Utd v Dundee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a booking for the keeper and a penalty.

I think that's what should happen, I don't think red cards and penalties should both be given, unless the tackle was a really bad one but that's just not the rules. It was a harsh one, but fair.

Still got another defender to beat.

That doesn't matter though. The rule is "clear goalscoring opportunity", it doesn't matter if there is anyone else around if the referee feels it was such an opportunity. 

Ah, of course.  

The article I read the other week was, unsurprisingly, incredibly complicated in that there are a plethora of different outcomes all with different card outcomes (not like UEFA to make a new rule incredibly convoluted or anything).

The article I read the other week was, unsurprisingly, incredibly complicated in that there are a plethora of different outcomes all with different card outcomes (not like UEFA to make a new rule incredibly convoluted or anything).

I wasn't too bothered about the red yesterday.  If it had been Kawa taking down Hemmings I'd have demanded a red.   On the flip of that I do think that a sending off and a penalty is a double whammy that sometimes seems unfair.  Also, because of the scope for interpretation you do get apparent inconsistencies with incidents of this type.  I don't suppose tweaking the rules will really change much because ultimately a referee has to make a split second decision based on their interpretation of the circumstances at the time. 

If they make the rule "a genuine attempt to make a legal challenge in the box that denies a goal-scoring opportunity will only result in a penalty kick" that would work. The Sunday situation would clearly not have been a sending off but a deliberate handball on the line would be.

If they make the rule "a genuine attempt to make a legal challenge in the box that denies a goal-scoring opportunity will only result in a penalty kick" that would work. The Sunday situation would clearly not have been a sending off but a deliberate handball on the line would be.

That would just create more arguments, as the referee would then have to judge if it was a genuine challenge for the ball or not.

The rule was brought in for good reason.

Don't understand why everyone's getting hung up. The laws very clear. Deny a clear goal scoring opportunity to a player bearing down on goal.

If the player is NOT moving directly towards goal then a booking and penalty. If there is a covering player then a booking and penalty.

Since the attackers last touch takes him away from (the line) of the goal then no sending off. It really is that simple.

As a Dundee supporter, yes I would be screaming for a sending off. Would that have made it any more correct than Sunday's decision. Of course not.

Penalty and booking, nothing more. FFS Bain played the percentages and was caught out by a poor refereeing decision. It's not like poor decisions are new in Scottish football.

Archived