Hitman

The Saintee

• 1 year later...

I picked up Hitman 2 at the weekend, having loved the first one.  Not much has changed except the settings, so it's more like season 2 than a sequel.  There's a few new weapons, but no game changers.  That doesn't detract from it's briliiance though - it's a game to be meandered through with thought and consideration, so maybe not for the impatient run and gunners, but the biggest draw for me is that because of the sheer number of ways you can finish each level, the replayability factor is huge.

• 2 weeks later...

My internet is pish. It’s telling me it’s going to take over 50 hours to download the two locations after Mumbai. I found Hitman 2 slightly easier than Hitman but that’s probably as I went back and completed the first one again first.

• 2 months later...

BUMP

I've been going through some of the PS+ games I never got the chance to play and currently playing through this.

Really enjoying it. I see from the start of the thread that people were complaining about the episodic nature, I don't need to worry about that.

Just finished Sapienza last night, going to replay it a couple of times for some challenges before moving on to the next location.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone picked up the new game? I got it cause CD Keys has it on release for 40 quid but ended up spending another 30-40 getting the previous games and getting them installed on the new game so I can play the entire trilogy from one place. I'm so mad at myself for taking so long to get into it because it's so stupid and fun. Love throwing a wrench at a bodyguard and headshotting the target.

I picked it up, along with the previous 2 so I could play through them all in a one-er.  Played the first level of the 3rd before I went back and it's very impressive.  Looks absolutely gorgeous and a million different ways to do things.  My only slight gripe is that it's a bit hand-holdy.  I remember the old Hitman games where you were just dropped into levels blind and often had to go through fiendishly difficult levels of trial and error before you worked it all out.  At the start of each level in the new ones, you've got a list of starting points that can point you to where you need to go.  Granted there's usually 10 of them, so a huge amount of replay value, and you can just ignore them if you want, but  would be good if you could toggle them off completely (then slowly put them back on because I'm thick as mince).

I picked it up, along with the previous 2 so I could play through them all in a one-er.  Played the first level of the 3rd before I went back and it's very impressive.  Looks absolutely gorgeous and a million different ways to do things.  My only slight gripe is that it's a bit hand-holdy.  I remember the old Hitman games where you were just dropped into levels blind and often had to go through fiendishly difficult levels of trial and error before you worked it all out.  At the start of each level in the new ones, you've got a list of starting points that can point you to where you need to go.  Granted there's usually 10 of them, so a huge amount of replay value, and you can just ignore them if you want, but  would be good if you could toggle them off completely (then slowly put them back on because I'm thick as mince).

Aye I know what you mean. I always thought of these games as having high barriers to entry but I haven’t taken more than an hour to finish a level. It does give IO a lot more buy in I suppose. I guess it’s all about the replays, Master difficulty, and the escalations! I’m already itching to get back to specific levels and try some new starts and restrictions to see how I get on with them. Especially since a lot of my kills have been very messy or I’ve seen potential avenues to get really funny or unique kills but I haven’t had the foresight or equipment to get there and have no idea what I do.

Some of the speedruns already are wild. Someone’s managed to complete Dubai in 9 seconds!

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Aye I know what you mean. I always thought of these games as having high barriers to entry but I haven’t taken more than an hour to finish a level. It does give IO a lot more buy in I suppose. I guess it’s all about the replays, Master difficulty, and the escalations! I’m already itching to get back to specific levels and try some new starts and restrictions to see how I get on with them. Especially since a lot of my kills have been very messy or I’ve seen potential avenues to get really funny or unique kills but I haven’t had the foresight or equipment to get there and have no idea what I do.

Some of the speedruns already are wild. Someone’s managed to complete Dubai in 9 seconds!

I saw that video, assuming it was some mad glitch but the way characters are positioned makes me think they did it kind of on purpose.  Really clean way of doing it.

My first successful runthrough of that level, however, 58 minutes.  And that was with the pointers.  The levels are really well designed with having the two distinct targets.  Although part of me wishes they threw in a few more chaotic options, rather than the more cerebral planned out ones.  Not really in the spirit of the game though I suppose.  I'll setlle for Sparta kicking most of the targets off high ledges for now.  

A few weeks back, I bought Codename 47, Hitman 2, Contracts, Blood Money and Absolution from steam for a combined total of about 15 quid.

I loved the first four games back in the day. Amazing games. Absolution had it's moments but was a wee bit too "generic action game" for my liking.

Edited by Richey Edwards

This good then aye, similar to the last 2 ?
Loved the last two, but not played for ages.
Aye, the core gameplay seems exactly the same as Hitman 2, although I've seen people raving about 47 being a detective in the Agatha Christie murder mansion level that NTP has screenshotted above.

You can import all the levels from 1 & 2 if you already own them as well.

7 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Aye, the core gameplay seems exactly the same as Hitman 2, although I've seen people raving about 47 being a detective in the Agatha Christie murder mansion level that NTP has screenshotted above.

You can import all the levels from 1 & 2 if you already own them as well.

Nice.

Is it going to have the Elusive Targets and Sniper stuff again ?

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

This good then aye, similar to the last 2 ?

Loved the last two, but not played for ages.

I didn't play the previous two, and played the first level of 3 before going back to the previous two.  The quality is pretty much constant throughout.  If you like 1 and 2, you'll not go wrong with 3.

18 minutes ago, forameus said:

I didn't play the previous two, and played the first level of 3 before going back to the previous two.  The quality is pretty much constant throughout.  If you like 1 and 2, you'll not go wrong with 3.

Loved the 1st 2. Never got into the earlier titles and like NTP said, I thought there would be a high entry barrier. 

I ended up setting myself reminders to do the elusive targets and doing the no weapons and suit only challenges.

3 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Loved the 1st 2. Never got into the earlier titles and like NTP said, I thought there would be a high entry barrier. 

I ended up setting myself reminders to do the elusive targets and doing the no weapons and suit only challenges.

I'm actually a bit conflicted about 3 at least only in comparison to the first 2! This game is a lot more handholdy I think both to bring in newbies (like me if I hadn't made a point of playing the first 2) and to focus on the story which takes centre stage in a much heavier fashion than before. You're very much led to the conclusion in I'd say 3 of the 6 levels with the other 3 being more open ended and pretty unique in their mission objectives or how they railroad specific sections. Dartmoor is comfortably the most I mastered a level on my first playthrough and it's cause a mission story has you explore virtually everywhere if you want the 'correct' conclusion although it gives you two earlier ramps to conclude. 

It's a great game though! I'm almost spoiled for choice now in what to do next. Go back and replay missions? Play all the side content from 1 & 2? Try some escalations? Try some contracts? Sniper Assassin?