Relegation

Bluetooth

Big post over on fitba north on the league split forum. Sounds like common sense to me,apparently it's some sort of leaked memorandum to Vale of Leithen,whether it comes to fruition or not is another question....3 SPFL leagues of 16,Highland and Lowland leagues 16 teams each too etc.

Seen it, the last thing we need is even more clubs playing nationally.

Also doesn't address the issue of Junior clubs not being part of the Pyramid, or reforming the Lowland League to make it a more attractive place to be for Junior clubs.

Wont happen.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also doesn't address the issue of Junior clubs not being part of the Pyramid, or reforming the Lowland League to make it a more attractive place to be for Junior clubs.

Wont happen.

The more the merrier playing nationally, and if the juniors want to drag their heels it isn't stopping it being a success.

The more the merrier playing nationally, and if the juniors want to drag their heels it isn't stopping it being a success.

One day, you'll make an intelligent contribution to these debates. Until then..........

Wont happen.

What would make the lowland leage more atractive to juniors?

On the topic of relegation, is there anything stopping Threave to re-apply for membership and get relegated but then be given the vacancy?

Not sure. Imagine most teams would

want them in it- bar the travelling- as they've been rotten since it started. No one else has to worry about finishing bottom with them

There.

I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere what the exact arrangements would be i.e. whether relegated team can apply for any vacancy and if so, if placed at front of the queue, back of the queue, or alongside any other applicants.

As I noted before - there is no vacancy if someone comes up plus someone comes down.

What would make the lowland leage more atractive to juniors?

I've said before that if the LL was split East and West then that would be a more attractive proposition. It would mirror the Juniors set-up and be recognition that there are 3 or 4 times as many clubs as in the north.

I've said before that if the LL was split East and West then that would be a more attractive proposition. It would mirror the Juniors set-up and be recognition that there are 3 or 4 times as many clubs as in the north.

A better alternative imo would be redrawing the North/South boundary each season depending on which teams are in tier 5. Make the leagues the same size as each other.

As long as the Juniors aren't participating there couldn't be an East/West split as currently there wouldn't be enough licensed clubs to properly fill-up 2 divisions.

It perhaps make sense in terms of number of clubs, strength of clubs, geography, population, etc. but one of the requirements is licensing directly below SPFL2.

It would be daft to move to a flexible boundary between HL & LL just now... in 1 year you could see Stirling in HL - or Fort William, Cove or Inverurie in LL.

A better alternative imo would be redrawing the North/South boundary each season depending on which teams are in tier 5. Make the leagues the same size as each other.

It still doesn't get away from the fact that there are more clubs covered by the West Region Juniors than the whole of the Highland League area, same in the East.  A three way split at tier 5 makes complete sense.

As long as the Juniors aren't participating there couldn't be an East/West split as currently there wouldn't be enough licensed clubs to properly fill-up 2 divisions.

It perhaps make sense in terms of number of clubs, strength of clubs, geography, population, etc. but one of the requirements is licensing directly below SPFL2.

It would be daft to move to a flexible boundary between HL & LL just now... in 1 year you could see Stirling in HL - or Fort William, Cove or Inverurie in LL.

Well I guess the Juniors aren't going to move towards the current single LL set-up, so maybe the set-up needs to go to the Juniors, if there is a will to admit that this is the best way forward.

Only other option is for a combined East/West Junior Superleague sitting alongside the LL.

I've always been in favour on idea of a full pyramid integrating the juniors. I hope it can happen but I just see anything from their side. I just don't see the juniors as a whole merging into the pyramid at least not until after some of their bigger or ambitious clubs have joined. I do think it is quite sad though that EOS and eastern juniors in particular are separated like this. I think that would be merger of mutual benefit. SOS could easily work as another region within the west. Have the juniors as an block said what they would want to get them interested in getting licensed and join or is there an us and them standoff. 

Nice wee gesture from juniors why not invite EOS and SOS teams into junior cup surely a bit more variety for fans and working together.

I suppose a combined east/west junior superleague would be interesting in they start basically getting their top division to a certain standard in terms of facilities and so licensing then they could join the pyramid as an equal merger. I just don't see that and maybe just clubs gradually trickling over to lowland league. I'm not that convinced even a North/west/ East split at tier 5 that Juniors as a whole would rush to be involved. They need to set out their position of where they see it in next 5 to 10 years. If they don't feel they should or want to be involved then it would be down to individual clubs.

This season they are currently 15pts adrift at the bottom and only won 1 league game (v Whitehill) and 2 South Challenge Cup ties (against SOSL teams).

Heartbreakingly, they've only won 2 home games in all competitions since April 2014. Their last home league win was November 2014.

Scrub that. Beat WW again tonight, at home, 3-1.

Looking at and hearing about their performances Threave have been getting closer to picking up a result and it had to be us who lost to them again.

Big Jack Jardine equalised minutes after Threave took the lead and it looked as if WW would go on and win. The second goal was a big moment though with Ben Irvings pace again causing problems up front and the third from a short back pass killed it.

Fair play to Threave deserved their win.

Archived