Relegation

Bluetooth

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there relegation from Lowland League this season,

My local paper seems to be indicating that St Cuthberts Wanderers are hoping to be promoted to Lowland League

for next season.

There is. If saints win the league and are licensed, they'll in all likelihood get promoted as no EoS team likely to win the league has their licence.

Threave would join the SOS. Hardly won a game in 24 months.

Is there relegation from Lowland League this season,

My local paper seems to be indicating that St Cuthberts Wanderers are hoping to be promoted to Lowland League

for next season.

Yes.

However, both aren't definitely equivalent.

There has been promotion/relegation to/from LL since EOSL & SOSL joined the pyramid during its first season. However, to be promoted you have be licensed. If both champions are licensed, they'll play-off.

Bottom in LL will be relegated, but it could depend on what happens from below and also from above.

These 3 scenarios:

* south-of-Tay team relegated from SPFL2 & HL champion promoted

* SPFL2 team survives ... south-of-Tay team relegated from SPFL2 & LL champion promoted... north-of-Tay relegated & HL promoted

* north-of-Tay team relegated from SPFL2 & LL champion promoted

all see different numbers of teams leaving/joining at the top. Plus there's still 1 vacancy.

e.g. if East Stirlingshire come down, Brora go up, and EOSL/SOSL champion is licensed, whoever finishes bottom of LL must be gonners.

Yes.

However, both aren't definitely equivalent.

There has been promotion/relegation to/from LL since EOSL & SOSL joined the pyramid during its first season. However, to be promoted you have be licensed. If both champions are licensed, they'll play-off.

Bottom in LL will be relegated, but it could depend on what happens from below and also from above.

These 3 scenarios:

* south-of-Tay team relegated from SPFL2 & HL champion promoted

* SPFL2 team survives ... south-of-Tay team relegated from SPFL2 & LL champion promoted... north-of-Tay relegated & HL promoted

* north-of-Tay team relegated from SPFL2 & LL champion promoted

all see different numbers of teams leaving/joining at the top. Plus there's still 1 vacancy.

e.g. if East Stirlingshire come down, Brora go up, and EOSL/SOSL champion is licensed, whoever finishes bottom of LL must be gonners.

I'm glad you put that in - I was completely baffled!

There is. If saints win the league and are licensed, they'll in all likelihood get promoted as no EoS team likely to win the league has their licence.

Threave would join the SOS. Hardly won a game in 24 months.

Problem with that is Saints aren't licensed,though when I was at St.Mary's Park in October they don't look far away.

I'm glad you put that in - I was completely baffled!

That's the one extreme, of course.

At the other extreme e.g. Arbroath go down, Edinburgh City go up, neither champion is licensed, then you've 2 vacancies - 3 if bottom isn't reprieved.

This season can't have been much fun for Threave. They're better off in the SoSL.

Shame about them, next wee ground to visit.

May be better there for a while to get things going again.

Must be disheartening for them this season.

Here's hoping with league expansion and more clubs soon to be licensed in EOS and SOS that they'll consider 2 automatic relegation spots with effect from next season.

Given the EoS could lose another club, maybe even two, at the end of the season I don't think relegation from the LL is going to be expanded until the mess below it is sorted.

Shame about them, next wee ground to visit.

May be better there for a while to get things going again.

Must be disheartening for them this season.

Things have been getting increasingly tough for Threave since LL began.

In the first season they came 2nd bottom but managed a few wins: 4 league games (v EK, Ed City, Gretna, Vale); 1 Scottish Cup tie (v Rothes); 1 Petrofac Cup tie (v Spartans); plus actually 8 ties in the South Challenge Cup and various local cups (all against SOSL teams + Stranraer XI).

However, last season they finished bottom and only won 2 league games (v Gretna, Selkirk) and 1 Scottish Cup tie (v Preston).

This season they are currently 15pts adrift at the bottom and only won 1 league game (v Whitehill) and 2 South Challenge Cup ties (against SOSL teams).

Heartbreakingly, they've only won 2 home games in all competitions since April 2014. Their last home league win was November 2014.

Given the EoS could lose another club, maybe even two, at the end of the season I don't think relegation from the LL is going to be expanded until the mess below it is sorted.

Perhaps Burnie you're right.  I'm not sure how much of a 'mess' it really is though.  A recent mission statement from the EOS seems very positive.  I accept losing two more clubs isn't ideal, but a 13 team league isn't the end of the world.  Yes they may lose two clubs (Craigroyston looking likely, perhaps Ormiston too) but that is mainly due to the fact that the league plans to be all-licensed in future and geographically Craigroyston and Ormiston probably makes more sense in the East South juniors, especially as a license doesn't feature highly on their respective to do lists.

Most of the other clubs the league lost were down to the formation of the Lowland league.

Therefore after this season, things should settle down for the EOS, and perhaps they may even look to boost numbers again.  If AM Soccer Academy (or whatever their name is) harbour genuine aspirations of joining the Lowland League, then a move to the EOS would seem logical.  There was also talk about Haddington making the move, although you're probably more clued up on that one than I am.

When looking at the SOS, St Cuthbert Wanders and Edusports Acad will likely both be licensed in near future.  In the EOS, Civil SS are now licensed and hopefully within the next two or three years, clubs like Leith Ath and Lothian Thistle will be licensed too.  All five would arguably hold their own and possibly more in the Lowland.  Just seems wrong they would currently have to play off (EOS v SOS ) for right to go up.  If there is a 16 team Lowland League then two teams should automatically be going down, on the proviso the champions of both the EOS and SOS are licensed.

Interesting Burnie mentions the "mess" below. 

Apart from Kelsae there haven't been many EOS/Lowland League clubs gone into abeyance recently unlike Crossgates, Scone, Steelend, Forfar Albion, Coupar Angus, Ballingry in the Juniors in recent seasons. Albion, Scone and Coupar fortunately came back into the Juniors after a season out but if never looks particularly clever. 

Personally I think Burnie's team would be an asset to the Lowland League but if they wish to remain Junior meantime then so be it. 

Interesting Burnie mentions the "mess" below.

Apart from Kelsae there haven't been many EOS/Lowland League clubs gone into abeyance recently unlike Crossgates, Scone, Steelend, Forfar Albion, Coupar Angus, Ballingry in the Juniors in recent seasons. Albion, Scone and Coupar fortunately came back into the Juniors after a season out but if never looks particularly clever.

Personally I think Burnie's team would be an asset to the Lowland League but if they wish to remain Junior meantime then so be it.

It's a mess in the respect of its considered the 6th tier of Scottish football and a direct feeder to the LL, yet Easthouses bailed out last season, Craigroyston will bail out this season along with perhaps another whilst Kelso folded. All from a league of 17 clubs which could.potentially reduce to 14. It doesn't bode well.

We've had four clubs fold from a starting point of 64 clubs, one via crazy over spending, so the overall impact is less, one may come back next season (Harthill), and have attracted new members from the EoS.

The EoS appeal for new members seems a desperate move. It really is about time we sorted this mess out once and for all. No Junior or Senior divide.

I don't think Blackburn will be bailing from the Juniors anytime soon. A licence however is a possibility.

It's a mess in the respect of its considered the 6th tier of Scottish football and a direct feeder to the LL, yet Easthouses bailed out last season, Craigroyston will bail out this season along with perhaps another whilst Kelso folded. All from a league of 17 clubs which could.potentially reduce to 14. It doesn't bode well.

We've had four clubs fold from a starting point of 64 clubs, one via crazy over spending, so the overall impact is less, one may come back next season (Harthill), and have attracted new members from the EoS.

The EoS appeal for new members seems a desperate move. It really is about time we sorted this mess out once and for all. No Junior or Senior divide.

I don't think Blackburn will be bailing from the Juniors anytime soon. A licence however is a possibility.

Big post over on fitba north on the league split forum. Sounds like common sense to me,apparently it's some sort of leaked memorandum to Vale of Leithen,whether it comes to fruition or not is another question....3 SPFL leagues of 16,Highland and Lowland leagues 16 teams each too etc.

Big post over on fitba north on the league split forum. Sounds like common sense to me,apparently it's some sort of leaked memorandum to Vale of Leithen,whether it comes to fruition or not is another question....3 SPFL leagues of 16,Highland and Lowland leagues 16 teams each too etc.

Sent to the editor of the scotsman and a whole range of clubs at the same time I believe. It's not leaked as it's actually designed to be put out there to discuss.

Archived