2015/16 Title Race

So if Hearts end up at Celtic Park three times this season because we just got promoted, does that mean The Rangers will be at Celtic Park three times next season, if they make it into the top six?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if Hearts end up at Celtic Park three times this season because we just got promoted, does that mean The Rangers will be at Celtic Park three times next season, if they make it into the top six?

Good point actually....see how they wriggle out of that little scenario

I don't think it's the case that Hearts would go to Celtic for a third time post split purely becasue they're newly promoted.  They'll look at the fixtures and work out exactly which teams need fixtures switched.  Their list of priorities is roughly as follows:

Give everyone a 19H/19A balance if possible

Get every team playing each opponent 2H/2A if possible

Ensure that the teams in the title race have balanced fixtures (v each other, and 19H/19A)

Ensure that the teams in any European races have balanced fixtures (v each other, and 19H/19A)

These aren't written rules - they're just observations based on the previous 15 seasons with a split.

It seems likely that Hearts might be the team with least to play for come the split - they're likely to be pretty secure in 3rd.  If that's the case, then it might well be that they do end up having a slightly unbalanced fixtures list.

I think I covered that mate. The diff is that our fans have bought the tickets but aren't turning up. We have 42,000 ST holders and people take winning trophies for granted. Is this not something non-Celtic/Rangers fans always say when they win a cup...that they appreciate it more? If we went back to not having won the league trophy for a long period of time, our fans would have Celtic Park bursting at the seams.

I think it's better to have empty seats that have been sold as opposed to empty seats that have not. However I'd wish it if these so called fans turned up. I just hope they don't get a ticket for the semi-final.

Losing team attracts more fans hypothesis. Good luck with that.

I wasn't asking who you want to win.

Your final line, which I highlighted, was 'What's your view?'.

My view is I want Aberdeen to win.  Is that really too difficult to understand?

If there exists an opportunity for Celtic's fixture run in to be eased you can guarantee it will happen.

FWIW I think more than 1 team will f**k up he "seeding" system they base the fixtures on.

IMO the predicted top 6 would have been Celtic, Aberdeen, Caley, Saints, Utd and Dundee based on last seasons finishes.

I have no idea if Hearts coming up would have effected their decision on the "seeded" 6.

If the above is correct I'd expect at least 2, more likely 3 of those teams to f**k up the system.

Utd's top 6 dream is mathematically over, so there is one (replace with Hearts who are certain top 6)

Ross County look shoo ins to finish somewhere in the top 6 so that's 2 top 6 teams wrong already.

That leaves 2 places to be fought for between Dundee, Caley, Perth and Partick Thistle (Motherwell outsiders) - if Partick manage to cement top 6 (and I quite fancy them) theres 3 teams all to f**k from the fixture "seeding" system.

With that level of disruption it will be easy for them to explain away the falling of fixtures in Celtics favour.

The reality here is Aberdeen fans will rage when it's announced we have to go to Celtic for a third time but will secretly be quite glad as they know there's more chance we'll overtake them than they have of catching Celtic.

:lol:

You might get a bite with that.

If there exists an opportunity for Celtic's fixture run in to be eased you can guarantee it will happen.

FWIW I think more than 1 team will f**k up he "seeding" system they base the fixtures on.

IMO the predicted top 6 would have been Celtic, Aberdeen, Caley, Saints, Utd and Dundee based on last seasons finishes.

I have no idea if Hearts coming up would have effected their decision on the "seeded" 6.

If the above is correct I'd expect at least 2, more likely 3 of those teams to f**k up the system.

Utd's top 6 dream is mathematically over, so there is one (replace with Hearts who are certain top 6)

Ross County look shoo ins to finish somewhere in the top 6 so that's 2 top 6 teams wrong already.

That leaves 2 places to be fought for between Dundee, Caley, Perth and Partick Thistle (Motherwell outsiders) - if Partick manage to cement top 6 (and I quite fancy them) theres 3 teams all to f**k from the fixture "seeding" system.

With that level of disruption it will be easy for them to explain away the falling of fixtures in Celtics favour.

:lol:

Michael Grant was in the paper the other day saying Celtic v Aberdeen will either be the first or second game after the split, so as to avoid any possibility of a title head to head. He's been told this by SPFL sources.

That's where we are in Scottish football. We're the only country in the world actively looking to avoid what all other leagues would give their right nut for, a dream scenario of the title coming down to a head to head clashing the final day of the season.

Another embarrassing episode will be when the fixtures are announced, and Hearts end up going to Parkhead for a third time. If Aberdeen are going to win the league then Hearts v Celtic at Tynecastle after the split would have been a game where they felt a real chance of Celtic dropping points, but instead will get Hearts at home due to the split ranking rules or something.

Unfortunately the split does that mate. I'd love a bigger league that does away with it. When I used to run a supporters bus down in England, the uncertainty with the post-split fixtures didn't help when trying to organise buses. Knew guys who ran other buses down south and it we were all in the same boat.

The powers that be certainly don't consider the fans with these fixtures.

The fact that there is a title race at this stage of the season with Celtic's financial dominance over every other club shows you how inept Ronnie is at his job. Long may it continue!

It's astonishing that this is a viable question so close to the split.

I don't think anyone other than Rhonny could have achieved this .

Unfortunately the split does that mate. I'd love a bigger league that does away with it. When I used to run a supporters bus down in England, the uncertainty with the post-split fixtures didn't help when trying to organise buses. Knew guys who ran other buses down south and it we were all in the same boat.

Absolute tosh. 

The split has been excellent in recent seasons in creating a set of final fixtures that are exciting. It makes sense for teams to be playing those around them in the table at the crucial point in the season - it's just the SPFL's wish to avoid certain scenarios at the top that make it look like a joke. 

I'm sure most fans would rather be playing teams around them come the end of the season. The SPFL can't just try to placate an imaginary Celtic supporters bus from England. 

If you were told celtic had to play at Tynecastle 3 times in the league you'd be on hunger strike and chained to the railings outside Hampden before you could say "anyone but celtic."

Absolute tosh.

The split has been excellent in recent seasons in creating a set of final fixtures that are exciting. It makes sense for teams to be playing those around them in the table at the crucial point in the season - it's just the SPFL's wish to avoid certain scenarios at the top that make it look like a joke.

I'm not denying that the split can't throw up excitement but so did the old league set-up too. Celtic winning away to St Mirren on Albert Kidd day. The stopping the 10 in a row season etc. Also, while the split throws up some excitement, it throws up problems just about every season which some fans are mentioning again such as having a too many away games against a certain team.

It's not the fairest of systems. The split could come and a team that is off-form could scrape in by the skin of their teeth thanks to the pts built up earlier in the season, while a team on a good run could just miss out....a team that could poss have made the final games more excitement in the top end than the team that ended up there.

I'm sure most fans would rather be playing teams around them come the end of the season. The SPFL can't just try to placate an imaginary Celtic supporters bus from England.

Imaginary? Please explain.

There are fans of every club who live outwith their local towns and city's...it's hardly helpful to them if they don't know who and when they are playing after a certain date.

If you were told celtic had to play at Tynecastle 3 times in the league you'd be on hunger strike and chained to the railings outside Hampden before you could say "anyone but celtic."

What's your point? I'm agreeing that this set-up is shit & causes problems like this that it doesn't need to have.

Archived