2015/16 Title Race

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the Celtic fans feel confident if being able to win the title? Looking at Celtics crowds in not so sure as I'd expect Parkhead to be bursting at the seams to try and get behind the team.

I think I covered that mate. The diff is that our fans have bought the tickets but aren't turning up. We have 42,000 ST holders and people take winning trophies for granted. Is this not something non-Celtic/Rangers fans always say when they win a cup...that they appreciate it more? If we went back to not having won the league trophy for a long period of time, our fans would have Celtic Park bursting at the seams.

I think it's better to have empty seats that have been sold as opposed to empty seats that have not. However I'd wish it if these so called fans turned up. I just hope they don't get a ticket for the semi-final.

Oh Davie x2.

Mate, is it beyond some people to come on and just give a footballing opinion without acting like arseholes. You might have noticed people starting to comment on this place getting dragged down by that.

No wonder these idiots provoke a reaction like that when all they do is post abuse from the off!

Michael Grant was in the paper the other day saying Celtic v Aberdeen will either be the first or second game after the split, so as to avoid any possibility of a title head to head. He's been told this by SPFL sources.

That's where we are in Scottish football. We're the only country in the world actively looking to avoid what all other leagues would give their right nut for, a dream scenario of the title coming down to a head to head clashing the final day of the season.

Another embarrassing episode will be when the fixtures are announced, and Hearts end up going to Parkhead for a third time. If Aberdeen are going to win the league then Hearts v Celtic at Tynecastle after the split would have been a game where they felt a real chance of Celtic dropping points, but instead will get Hearts at home due to the split ranking rules or something.

Looking for a decent discussion on this. No bullshit & descending into petty name calling.

Now obviously it looks like it's boiling down to a Title fight between Celtic & Aberdeen. We were here last season though & by the end of the season, Celtic had won the league by a massive 17pts.

This season, it could still end up that way but Celtic don't seem to be entertaining enough & after being accused of being bottle crashers, Aberdeen have managed to get some decent results recently...especially with a few key players out injured.

I still don't think Aberdeen will win the title. I still believe Celtic will make it 5 in a row...but I wonder if I feel that way because I'm not really used to anyone but Rangers (RIP) challenging us for the title.

However, I also have to admit that if we were to lose Leigh Griffiths for a few games then I would probably start to worry because right now I can't see Kazim-Richards stepping up to the plate to fire in the goals. He looks like the latest in a long line of duds. GMS, Bitton & Commons would be required to stay on form as they carry our best chances of scoring after Griffiths. Aberdeen lost Rooney but Church seems to be a good signing for them and their challenge continues.

I also feel that the Scottish Cup draw with The Rangers is what we need as a team. It will hopefully give the players their mojo back and get them up for the league games in the run up to the semi-final & playing for places. After that, the post split games take care of themselves.

As an extra wee 'food for thought'...do the Hearts fans think they can pip Aberdeen to 2nd spot? Win your game in hand and it's only 6pts...plus you have to play them twice and have them come to Celtic Park.

Do the Aberdeen fans feel confident of being able to win the title? Looking at their crowds I'm not so sure as I'd expect Pittodrie to be bursting at the seams to try and get behind the team.

Do my fellow Celtic fans think the title is slipping away from us? Many are disillusioned with the style being played under Ronny Deila & shows in our attendances?

What's your views on the Title Race?

17 points ?

You won the title with only THREE games to go. We gave up after that.

We are coming for you.

Michael Grant was in the paper the other day saying Celtic v Aberdeen will either be the first or second game after the split, so as to avoid any possibility of a title head to head. He's been told this by SPFL sources.

That's where we are in Scottish football. We're the only country in the world actively looking to avoid what all other leagues would give their right nut for, a dream scenario of the title coming down to a head to head clashing the final day of the season.

Another embarrassing episode will be when the fixtures are announced, and Hearts end up going to Parkhead for a third time. If Aberdeen are going to win the league then Hearts v Celtic at Tynecastle after the split would have been a game where they felt a real chance of Celtic dropping points, but instead will get Hearts at home due to the split ranking rules or something.

Agreed, it's a utter shambles if it comes to pass (I suspect it will).

Re the original post. It's going to be fascinating to watch how the final games unfold. I have dreamt of being involved in a title race for decades and now it's happening it's quite actually quite stressful. It's so close but so far away.....

As I said in the predictions for the season thread. Celtic will win the league, I think Aberdeen will finish 2nd and Hearts 3rd.

As for a title race, will depend on a few factors. Teams in the bottom 6 will clearly shitfest between now and the split due to points being massive for them. We have to play Killie, Well and Hamilton pre split.

Will depend on how teams set up against Celtic too, they seem pretty incapable of dealing with the shitfest at the moment too.

I'm not getting my hopes up too much. If we are within 3 or 4 at the split I'll be happy and thinking we've a half chance. The game at the San Giro meaning something would be huge.

Surely there will be more than hearts fucking up top and bottom 6. Utd missing. Caley saints and Dundee won't surely make up the other top 6 spots.

The main thing is everyone gets 19 home games.

If it stays the way is is ATM the Celtic, Aberdeen & Hearts would require 3 home games & Ross C, Saints & Dundee 2 so should work out. I didnt go into who's played each other but we will have only had Ross County at home twice.

I also feel that the Scottish Cup draw with The Rangers is what we need as a team. It will hopefully give the players their mojo back and get them up for the league games in the run up to the semi-final & playing for places. After that, the post split games take care of themselves.

What's your views on the Title Race?

Celtic need Rangers? Quite an admission, that.

Interesting point on AFC's crowds - we got more for a period last season when we went top.

I think most still hope rather than believe, with recent home slip ups vs Inverness, Thistle and St Johnstone not helping. The home support probably need to do that wee bit more in terms of numbers and vocal support.

We still need a two-game swing, and given AFC seldom dish out doings, we will likely drop more points.

However, this is a bang average Celtic side and we just need to hang in there.

Last season's 17pts was misleading as we rested players for the dead rubbers once the league was lost due to the early Europa start, and key players being called for international squads before that.

Chances are we'll need to win at Parkheid. I've been to the last two matches there, and we bossed both early on before losing a goal and then a penalty kick and capitulating. We need more of the Anderson-Flood-Robson style leadership and inspiration that won the cup tie there two seasons back, rather than more plot loss at that venue.

We can do this if players and fans alike really believe - but right now I can't convince myself it'll happen. Great to even be having the conversation since we're financially probably the most lop-sided league in Europe.

Regardless of who wins the league Ronny is out on his ear come the end of the season.  It would be yet another shocking waste of a Champions League qualifying place if a rudderless, soulless, manager-less and depending on who you're playing, crowd-less celtic side got a shot at breaking their european-exits-per-season record at the continents premier competition.

I don't know if Aberdeen can or will win the league but I think we can all agree that it would be better if we did.  Celtic just don't deserve it, they have offered nothing this season except failure and excuses.

Archived