Unfunny comedians

Seen Billy Connolly quite a few times and always been in stitches - until the last tour...re-hashed stuff that seemed to lose its way.

A lot of the guys on the lists have been better live than on telly - Really enjoyed John Bishop at the fringe a few years ago, but I don't watch him on telly at all.  Likewise Chrsi Ramsay - loved him live and like his sitcom (Hebburn) but not a fan of him on the various panel shows he's on.  Alun Cochrane is another.

Gina Yashere - just shouts a lot in a Nigerian accent

Josh Widdicombe - jury is still out on him, hope he comes good and I may have to go to a live gig before I make a final decision!

Patrick Kielty - can't even believe he's a "comedian"

Al Murray - don't get him at all

Sandi Toksvig - FFS - she used to be on everything back in the day!

and finally

F*cking Stephen F*cking K F*cking Amos

Close the thread...I win.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought Billy Connolly was over rated incidentally.

I think this depends how old you are. In the mid 70s he was so different from the mainstream and we were passing tapes round with copies of his stuff and pishing ourselves as we repeated his lines verbatim.

The times when he told the park the bike joke or the fart in a spacesuit joke on Parkinson were absolutely outrageous at the time. In those days we had all these Bbc establishment comedians like Morecambe & Wise and The Two Ronnies.

It's a bit like how without the Beatles there wouldn't be any Oasis etc.

Now sadly he is the mainstream but without him there wouldn't be all these young guys doing standup now.

I think he lost his edge years ago as he became rich, part of the establishment. Hob-bobbing with the royals ffs...

So, basically what we have here is confirmation of the fact that not everyone finds the same stuff funny.To use a musical analogy - I've got mates who don't like Bob Dylan Not their scene at all. Doesn't make him shite. Just something they don't like.

The one time I went to see Bob Dylan he did the same old material we'd all heard before and nobody laughed at all. Not at all. Not even a snigger.

:o !!

His show on Dave is one of the best "stand ups" I've seen. It's more interesting social experiments than reeling off gags, but I really like it.

Given that it's painfully unfunny at every turn though, then he's a dreadful comedian.

I think this depends how old you are. In the mid 70s he was so different from the mainstream and we were passing tapes round with copies of his stuff and pishing ourselves as we repeated his lines verbatim. The times when he told the park the bike joke or the fart in a spacesuit joke on Parkinson were absolutely outrageous at the time. In those days we had all these Bbc establishment comedians like Morecambe & Wise and The Two Ronnies. It's a bit like how without the Beatles there wouldn't be any Oasis etc. Now sadly he is the mainstream but without him there wouldn't be all these young guys doing standup now. I think he lost his edge years ago as he became rich, part of the establishment. Hob-bobbing with the royals ffs...

Indeed its easy to over look Connoly's achievements as it was pioneering stuff back in the day people only had the basic TV channels and there really was no alternative so its hard for the youth of today to understand this.

I hear loads of people saying he abandoned his routes but what was he supposed to do? Stay in Govan? 

The only place he really went for me wrong was making a joke about cutting Ken Bigley's head off, think he lost a good few supporters there.

Still think he stayed relevant to many generations and to all classes of people, a true one off! 

Chris Ramsey, Katherine Ryan, Rob Beckett, Holly Walsh amongst others, continuously ruining 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown or HIGNFY with their pish.

8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown should be completely revamped so that the entire show consists of Rachel Riley stretching to put random letters or numbers up at 10 second interludes interspersed with occasional bursts of girl on girl action with Susie Dent.

Indeed its easy to over look Connoly's achievements as it was pioneering stuff back in the day people only had the basic TV channels and there really was no alternative so its hard for the youth of today to understand this.

I hear loads of people saying he abandoned his routes but what was he supposed to do? Stay in Govan? 

The only place he really went for me wrong was making a joke about cutting Ken Bigley's head off, think he lost a good few supporters there.

Still think he stayed relevant to many generations and to all classes of people, a true one off! 

He was never the same after he stopped driving the 49. 

Singers/ songwriters can dine off one song sometimes - for the rest of their life. Crowds will complain when they try to do new stuff rather than the old classics that people know and love.

Comedians need to produce new material every few weeks? That's incredibly difficult.

The difference is, if you go and see a band/singer, you want to join in to feel part of it, so you want songs that are familiar.

Jokes that are familiar aren't funny

I don't recall saying they should produce new material every few weeks?

What I said was that it may be unreasonable to expect them to change their material every six months, but that if they gradually ditch old stuff and introduce new stuff, then if you see them once a year, MOST of their material would be new to you.

Spot on. Resides at the very apex of it, I would say.

When there is the comedy equivalent of the Nuremberg trials, this b*stard will be hung from the highest f*cking lamppost.

He hasn't made me laugh since 1999. I always preferred Richard Herring anyway.

He hasn't made me laugh since 1999. I always preferred Richard Herring anyway.

Lee is not just unfunny but tiresome. His non-joke act isn't even original! He just rips off Ted Chippington. Ooooh look at me! I'm Stewart Lee! I'm deconstructing the form!!

James Corden - if he counts as a comedian or not I'm not entirely sure but he is most definitely un funny.

No idea how I managed to forget about him. The c**t's everywhere. Painfully cringey guy.

Given that it's painfully unfunny at every turn though, then he's a dreadful comedian.

No need to be so hostile man. It's a discussion board, we're having a discussion. Relax and you might even enjoy it  :)

Archived