Five Folded but not Forgotten in Fife

The Mantis

At one point (probably pre-WWII) there was a Stirlingshire league that also covered Clackmannanshire. When it folded clubs from its catchment area were free to go where they wanted if leagues in neighbouring counties would accept them. That's also why Dunipace is still in the west, but Camelon and the now defunct Bonnybridge were in the east setup.

Stirlingshire junior league folded at the end of season 1932-33, as you say it included teams such as ALva Albion Rangers and California Celtic, as well as Clackmannan and Dunipace. Kilsyth Rangers did not play in it at that time, they were members of the Scottish Junior league. Dunipace and Kilsyth Emmet joined the SJL on the demise of the Stirlingshire junior league along with others such as St Ninians and the three Grangemouth clubs, Forth Rangers, Grange Rovers and Scottish Dyes (a works club for what later became part of ICI).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good wee blog. Many memories of visiting these grounds. It always amazed me how some of these teams survived, with such limited crowds and committee. Hard work for this involved at these clubs and other Fife teams who have disappeared in my lifetime - Halbeath, Frances Colliery, North Fife and possibly others that I can't recall.

The following link and article also advertises an exceptional read about non league football.

The man in question managed the sports centre in Newport-on-Tay and founded and managed the now defunct North Fife.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/cornard_united_boss_chris_symes_lifts_lid_on_40_years_of_football_management_in_east_anglia_1_2992030

dont know why but loved watching a game at Steelend on a summers night

Quite the setting for scenery in summer even if not so good in the middle of winter, but Steelend was always going to be too small to sustain a club unfortunately. Might be in the blog, which I will definitely read, but think it was Comrie Colliery's ground and it was similar to how Harthill Royal emerged to fill the void left by Polkemmet Juniors?

Stirlingshire junior league folded at the end of season 1932-33, as you say it included teams such as ALva Albion Rangers and California Celtic, as well as Clackmannan and Dunipace. Kilsyth Rangers did not play in it at that time, they were members of the Scottish Junior league. Dunipace and Kilsyth Emmet joined the SJL on the demise of the Stirlingshire junior league along with others such as St Ninians and the three Grangemouth clubs, Forth Rangers, Grange Rovers and Scottish Dyes (a works club for what later became part of ICI).

From the 1920's on I believe junior clubs played in their own county. As the numbers thinned down  (from around 450 in the 20's to 150 today) the fact that these clubs were able to join any region that would accept them.  Take Forth and Shotts; Would they not be better off in the east region than West?  Shotts have Harthill,  Fauldhouse Whitburn and others within a 5/15 miles away in east south league. Yet they  face League games  in Greenock,Girvan, Largs and Craigmark at times.  SBA and Forth would be far better off in East South League.  Dunipace as well would be better off closer to East Region and facing the same travel problems as Shotts and Forth.

Would be interested to know just how many regions existed in the mid 1920,s.

And I know they are west Lothian I think! Rather than fife before someone corrects me.

East!  :thumsup2

Just when foofoo45 mentioned Leven, I remembered I had this book 'Fields of Fife' which I must have got off Stewart Davidson away back, cost about four quid. It's one of those spiral bound things and the photos are pretty poor but it's full of info I never knew but there are some guys here far more interested in Fife fitba than me  :lol:

Maybe Stewart Davidson still has copies but there's a link HERE and another HERE

Website about Fife Juniors by Eric Thomson

Cheers Waspie. You been that way recently? Just wondered if there's any grass left between the houses :lol:

Btw me and Mrs Mantis are spending a week at SMO shortly.

The park is still in use my team Kincardine amateurs use it.Although we haven't used it this year as it's been getting work done to the pipes under it this season,But we have a new pavilion that's only 4 years old and the changing facilities are good at it.

Its sad that teams such as Tulliallan,Clackmanan, Steelend, Crossgates & Leven have folded in previous years as all had alot of history with them.

But to add Ballingry to that is a joke they were only junior for a few years tried to buy success failed and folded.

Its sad that teams such as Tulliallan,Clackmanan, Steelend, Crossgates & Leven have folded in previous years as all had alot of history with them.

But to add Ballingry to that is a joke they were only junior for a few years tried to buy success failed and folded.

The big thing that let Tulliallan down was there was no social club to support them or even having a fence around the park for years.

i joined Clackmanan from Tulliallan and we had a cracking team before the Lapsley's left to manage Bo'ness, i think their replacement was ex Coventry player Graham Hill.

Not many made that switch lol . My old man played for both not sure if he jumped from Tulliallan to Clackmannan right enough but think he had a couple good seasons at Clackmannan

Seriously broke my heart when they folded, in fact I'm still gutted yet😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇

The Mantis may well get round to mentioning some defunct Edinburgh & District League clubs such as Rosewell Rosedale who were a Junior club in.......Rosewell.......between 1921-22 to 1956-57, the there's Loanhead Mayflower who appeared around 1907 and finally gave up the ghost at the end of 1964-65.

Others who have gone since the War are Polkemmet Juniors, Thorntree United, Grange Rovers, Forth Rangers, Grangemouth United, Grangemouth Rovers, Alva Albion Rangers, Edinburgh City, Bonnybridge Juniors, Peebles Rovers, Edinburgh United (unconnected to the current club), New Blackburn Athletic, Easthouses & Mayfield United,

Plus the original Easthouses Lily who folded, then Ormiston Primrose and Preston Athletic by way of going to the EoSFL.

The Mantis may well get round to mentioning some defunct Edinburgh & District League clubs such as Rosewell Rosedale who were a Junior club in.......Rosewell.......between 1921-22 to 1956-57, the there's Loanhead Mayflower who appeared around 1907 and finally gave up the ghost at the end of 1964-65.

Aye Burnie it's Loanhead I'm from. Too young to remember The Mayflower playing but we had a Juvenile team Loanhead United who won the Scottish Cup at Olivebank, must have been around 1969.

Did they have a rose bush hedge around the ground?

Bit unfair on Ballingry Rovers. They had a long and very successful career in the amateurs and for most of their time in the juniors they didn't try to buy success, only did that in the last few seasons they played.

So obvious question why not return to your correct level whether district or Ammies .

Why cos no one gives two fecks

Archived