Medda's American football tie-up

TheMeddaPie

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/irvine-meadow-groundshare-american-football-7521588#tduswtdmWhhwBslM.97

According to the article, this same mob played at Troon a while back.

Anyone at Portland Park able to shed light on what happened with that one? Were they hunted because the pitch was in a bad way?

Im sure they were meant to be playing at Johnstone Burgh last season but there was a fall out before a game was played.

Johnstonburgh unfortunately never took off due to the adverse weather conditions we have in Scotland, we need a facility that has good drainage and can take a bit of rain, we have teams coming up from Leeds and Manchester, so calling it off at the last min was not something we could take a chance on.

This is a win win situation for both clubs who are keen to strike up a long term relationship at the Medda

With regards to the Trojans playing at Troon, below is a quote from a Troon committee member when they Qs what the sport would do to the pitch at JB.

Having hosted the Trojans for two years at Troon I can say that they will have little or no impact on the playing surface. it is unfortunate they had to move away last year (due to the locality of their playing squad) and we would have welcomed them back this year but a few logistical issues at our side stopped it happening.

We generated crowds of circa 200 people at Troon and if Johnston burgh can get their pitch sorted and the social club open etc they will have a good chance of making decent money over the summer months.

Johnstonburgh unfortunately never took off due to the adverse weather conditions we have in Scotland, we need a facility that has good drainage and can take a bit of rain, we have teams coming up from Leeds and Manchester, so calling it off at the last min was not something we could take a chance on.You will never play at HURLFORD then.

This is a win win situation for both clubs who are keen to strike up a long term relationship at the Medda

With regards to the Trojans playing at Troon, below is a quote from a Troon committee member when they Qs what the sport would do to the pitch at JB.

Im sure they were meant to be playing at Johnstone Burgh last season but there was a fall out before a game was played.

Falling out with those running Johnstone Burgh? Imagine that!

Johnstonburgh unfortunately never took off due to the adverse weather conditions we have in Scotland, we need a facility that has good drainage and can take a bit of rain, we have teams coming up from Leeds and Manchester, so calling it off at the last min was not something we could take a chance on.

Which begs the question why Keanie Park was ever considered in the first place. It's been an utter disgrace for the last three decades (and how the hell a park based at the top of a hill can have these supposedly unfixable drainage problems is beyond me), everyone in non-league football knows about it & the annual carry on of the Burgh's end of season home fixtures backlog.

Falling out with those running Johnstone Burgh? Imagine that!

Which begs the question why Keanie Park was ever considered in the first place. It's been an utter disgrace for the last three decades (and how the hell a park based at the top of a hill can have these supposedly unfixable drainage problems is beyond me), everyone in non-league football knows about it & the annual carry on of the Burgh's end of season home fixtures backlog.

We went into Johnstonburgh after playing at Troon,we just took it for granted it would be of a similar quality, but we soon found out it was night and day.

Irvin Meadow is of the standard of Troon if not better with a raised stand giving perfect viewing for our sport.

I'm actually quite looking forward to this. I've never seen an American Football game in person before. Think it will be a win/win situation for all involved and I hope its a success

Thanks, the game in the UK is a decent level, you will be entertained and its not as stop start as you see on TV, the adverts pay for the game in the States, or game is a lot faster and easier to understand, we will also have the officials mike up so you know whats happening on the park.

Thanks, the game in the UK is a decent level, you will be entertained and its not as stop start as you see on TV, the adverts pay for the game in the States, or game is a lot faster and easier to understand, we will also have the officials mike up so you know whats happening on the park.

Sounds really good and I'm pleased to hear it won't be as stop start as games on TV. I generally record games and skip through the stoppages.

Any idea when the first game is going to be played at Irvine?

Irvin Meadow is of the standard of Troon if not better with a raised stand giving perfect viewing for our sport.

That'll be why they've had matches postponed repeatedly over the last 6 weeks. If the football club are struggling to get games on just now then I'm not sure how this will help - whether they need the money or not.

That'll be why they've had matches postponed repeatedly over the last 6 weeks. If the football club are struggling to get games on just now then I'm not sure how this will help - whether they need the money or not.

Trojans play their home games in June and July when there is NO football on, the game does not cause any damage to the field, its a win win situ for Irvin Meadow and the Trojans

Trojans play their home games in June and July when there is NO football on, the game does not cause any damage to the field, its a win win situ for Irvin Meadow and the Trojans

If it doesn't cause damage to the field then why does it make a difference whether it's at Troon or Johnstone Burgh. Junior football is played through the first half of June and last 10 days of July. Doubt if Meadow will do it but our pitch gets a complete overhaul in the 6 weeks or so that the season closes. I can't see how anyone can say that not giving a pitch a rest will not cause any issues. The fact is that it sounds like Irvine Meadow have an issue with some of their drainage and that will surely need to be remedied. I'm not having a pop at you guys - just surprised that the deal is on a pitch that is now clearly struggling.

I've had a look at the Trojans fixtures, they only play 5 regular season home games between 1st May and 17th July, it's hardly going to hamper any remedial work on the pitch.

The 1st May game has been moved to the 10th July

If it doesn't cause damage to the field then why does it make a difference whether it's at Troon or Johnstone Burgh. Junior football is played through the first half of June and last 10 days of July. Doubt if Meadow will do it but our pitch gets a complete overhaul in the 6 weeks or so that the season closes. I can't see how anyone can say that not giving a pitch a rest will not cause any issues. The fact is that it sounds like Irvine Meadow have an issue with some of their drainage and that will surely need to be remedied. I'm not having a pop at you guys - just surprised that the deal is on a pitch that is now clearly struggling.

Dont understand your first comment? if you think Troon and Johnstonburgh play on the same quality of pith your blind as a bat, for starters Troon is sand based so it virtuously impossible to flood, where as JB floods with an inch of rain.

Troon has probably the best Junior pitch in Scotland, you think they would have let us play on it for a 2nd year if there was an issues with the 1st year!!

Archived