Medda to go for share issue

TheMeddaPie

Turning down entry to the Super League was the start of the demise a move that Whitburn never recovered from.

They did recover from it, they subsequently spent 4 or 5 seasons in the Superleague, finishing third at least once.

There were obviously other issues behind the scenes but the turning down of a Superleague place, whilst utterly stupid, didn't lead to where they are now.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They did recover from it, they subsequently spent 4 or 5 seasons in the Superleague, finishing third at least once.

There were obviously other issues behind the scenes but the turning down of a Superleague place, whilst utterly stupid, didn't lead to where they are now.

Don't agree - when they eventually got into the Superleague they were a mere shadow of there former selves. 

If they had been there from the start the crowds would have remained and their profile would have been higher when signing players etc.  When they arrived they were poorly supported and the calibre of players they were attracting just wasn't at the level required.   They then found to their cost they weren't in a financial position to compete at the top and paid over the odds on average players.

Pollok president always posts on Facebook after games at Newlandsfield about how many league 1 and 2 games Pollok had a bigger crowd than. It's generally more than half of them

I attend Pollok quite regularly when the local "big team" (that's Queen's Park!) don't play and enjoy my days there.  They are very well supported (but remember it's at £6 a throw, or £3 for auld timers - of which they have a large number), but all his willie-comparing can't hide that they were in quite a bit of financial trouble a few years ago, passing the hat round the fans.  They were relegated a couple of years ago too.  They lost the support of their self-running social club (now closed) after a stooshie and turned down big, big bucks to move their park about 200 yards to accommodate a supermarket.  So, we won't take any "look how good we are in attracting fans" boasts from the Lok president.  Running a club is more than that.

Rant over. 

Rubbish, not joining the super league had nothing to do with it, it was down to the committee listening to bad advice on paying all the players the minimum wage from one of the members that had a top post in the east region. There was still a decent fan base there and the level of players in the team was of a good standard. In fact 2 of them start each week for Lithgae

Agree to disagree on that one.   But suffice to say the problems go deep and were numerous - including issues with social club - I'm sure Linlithgow Rose fans supported a fundraiser did they not. 

With regards the min wage that is partially true as there was talk that players should be paid for 9 hours at least at min wage.

Don't agree - when they eventually got into the Superleague they were a mere shadow of there former selves. 

If they had been there from the start the crowds would have remained and their profile would have been higher when signing players etc.  When they arrived they were poorly supported and the calibre of players they were attracting just wasn't at the level required.   They then found to their cost they weren't in a financial position to compete at the top and paid over the odds on average players.

Far be it from me to defend Whitburn but that just doesn't stack up.

The first season they played in Superleague (2005-2006), they finished 4th above you guys, following season they finished 3rd, the season after that they finished runners-up and well above Rose. 2008-09 they slipped to fourth a point behind Rose and it was the season after that they had a disaster and were relegated.

I attend Pollok quite regularly when the local "big team" (that's Queen's Park!) don't play and enjoy my days there. They are very well supported (but remember it's at £6 a throw, or £3 for auld timers - of which they have a large number), but all his willie-comparing can't hide that they were in quite a bit of financial trouble a few years ago, passing the hat round the fans. They were relegated a couple of years ago too. They lost the support of their self-running social club (now closed) after a stooshie and turned down big, big bucks to move their park about 200 yards to accommodate a supermarket. So, we won't take any "look how good we are in attracting fans" boasts from the Lok president. Running a club is more than that.

Rant over.

Wasn't saying it rakes in big bucks was just stating a fact that they consistently out do these clubs in terms of interest. Obviously cost is the big factor but still

As far as I know the social club hadn't made money in years as a million pubs in shawlands overtook it. The relegation can hardly be a consequence of serious financial issues as the amount paid to the likes of Barr and Diack that season was significant. Bad management and bad recruitment caused that as the immediate promotion testified. Clubs in real financial danger don't come back up after a season and certainly don't compete at the level Pollok are.

Having an accountant as a President helps of course as you'd like to think they're not daft enough to get us in the position meadow are in

This post is going round in circles just like a few committees, how many times do you need to hear it, income must at least match expenditure in the junior game or for that matter any business,to believe anything else is the road to financial ruin.

Exactly.

Pollok have had their difficulties in recent years and

I attend Pollok quite regularly when the local "big team" (that's Queen's Park!) don't play and enjoy my days there.  They are very well supported (but remember it's at £6 a throw, or £3 for auld timers - of which they have a large number), but all his willie-comparing can't hide that they were in quite a bit of financial trouble a few years ago, passing the hat round the fans.  They were relegated a couple of years ago too.  They lost the support of their self-running social club (now closed) after a stooshie and turned down big, big bucks to move their park about 200 yards to accommodate a supermarket.  So, we won't take any "look how good we are in attracting fans" boasts from the Lok president.  Running a club is more than that.

Rant over. 

The football club was latterly funding the social club - when I joined committee a decade earlier the SC was donating five figure sums on an annual basis. The reversal and as alluded to by my fellow Lok fan, competition elsewhere, meant its days were numbered as it was a financial albatross. You could go in there midweek of an evening and be on your own. It's sad not having the run of the place on matchday but there was no future for it.

The move wasn't 200 yards, it was to the site of where Homebase is, just off Auldhouse Road. The club had concerns about vandalism from the scheme that was/is adjacent. Look at the problems Glencairn have had with neds coming over the fence.

Despite the perception about old timers, when I was on gates the paying adult gate was always more than double the OAPs/weans gate.

Despite the perception about old timers, when I was on gates the paying adult gate was always more than double the OAPs/weans gate.

Aye, but they're all OAP's now....

Archived