Medda to go for share issue

TheMeddaPie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the problem at Whitburn they paid all the players the minimum wage which meant that no player was getting less than £60 a week which was crazy given the fact that the crowds had dwindled to the point that they didn't come anywhere near covering the wage bill.

The result was they couldn't pay wages and players left, which led to consecutive relegation to the bottom league. Thankfully now they're doing ok and hopefully they'll get promotion this year

From what I understand, Whitburn are still chucking money at it with some players getting good money.

To be fair to players of all Junior teams. Those signed pro are technically entitled to minimum wage. That covers a certain amount of time a week if they train twice and attend all home and away matches. Wont bore you with the details but in theory someone at Forfar Albion or Royal Albert is technically due at least £50 a week.

All it will take is a player to complain to the nmw people and it all could kick off.

The junior model could hardly cover £50 a player at superleague level.

Unless you sign as a non-contract professional, effectively an amateur form for a professional player.

I've said it umpteen times before, it's Junior fitba we're watching, the monies chucked around even at the lower levels of the Juniors is ludicrous. Clubs need to learn to live within their means and only spend what they can generate, and put more focus on facilities.

How can a club be £100k in debt yet not a penny of it was spend on basics such as floodlights or decent toilets, it's mental.

Totally agree more money should be spent on facilities but some of the debt is for building the Social club where you have modern male & female toilet facilities plus money spent on pitch, new showers, but yeah too much spent on players over the years. The Social club "debt" has been paid every month and a manageable debt that is paid off each month so going down plus social club bringing in money for the team.

Meadow should have vastly reduced our wage budget after the Hibs season in 2009/10 but didn't reduce it enough. The committee have been reducing wage budget but isn't helped by previous management teams bringing in players behind committee's back who or players who are supposedly being sponsored then turns out the sponsors stops paying for them.

The share issue is just a proposal that support agreed is a good possible option at the meeting on Sunday but plenty of details to iron out first. Plus other possible ideas. But we need to cut the wage budget right down to bare minimum in my opinion for 5/10 years then rebuild once debt down to a normal manageable level. Being in the lower Leagues may not be a bad thing plus less pressure as will just be the loyal Meadow supporters who will know everything about what's happened in recent years and will do everything to keep Meadow going for years to come even if at lower level.

One thing that has not been covered is that Meadow could have as few as 4/5 committee come the end of the season with guys retiring or wishing to step down after stress of recent years and without supporters joining and helping out we won't be able to keep going with a handful of committee.

Is it true the wage bill for last season was 75k. And not a kick in the baws aff it this year? After what we have been watching I find that astonishing.

I'd be absolutely surprised if it were as low as that to be honest.

If you watched league 1&2 regularly you would see the standard isn't great mate(Dunfermline apart as not sure if there ft or not) one off games don't always tell the story. I knew watching Linlithgow against the medda that the buffs would turn them over not due to being better but down to the schedule yous had before hand. And as for the prices they get charged to watch they leagues is ridiculous, I often clock the back of the local paper advertising the Ayr game for £15, no wonder attendances are poor. The point I was making though was also about players playing junior aren't doing so just because that's the standard of play there at, work and family commitments mostly affect it as well

Some junior players play that level because it suits them better than spfl, but it's an utter lie to suggest that true for the majority, the vast majority are not good enough despite any Mon the juniors shouts.

And spfl teams get better crowds than junior teams and that's pretty obvious if you actually thought about it.

Do you honestly think there are any clubs not paying wages of this level? Including Talbot, if you think for one minute that Talbot don't then you are a bit deluded. And if you think players taking in the region of £600 a month don't rely on this kind of financial top up then you are equally deluded. Every club in the premier league must offer some wages over a ton a week or they would attract no-one. It's the ability to live within their means that drive it to success or failure. Teams can survive if they spend what they have and stay within that. If you want more you work harder, simple fact of life, and some teams work really hard to achieve this. Talbot included, but don't kid yourself by claiming they are not guilty of paying big wages and don't think for a minute the wages don't pay the bills. They do. Junior football is all that to some.

Point me to where I mentioned Talbot in my post. I was talking generally about Junior football.

In general people watching League 1 and League 2 are well entitled to expect to be watching better players than in the juniors. They pay more for the privilege, their clubs generate more income, they generally pay better wages. Just like you'd expect to see better players at Talbot than at Kello so you should expect Forfar Athletic to be better than Linlithgow. The fact we got a cup result against them doesn't mean we'd do the same on a repeat basis. We got pumped off Kilwinning within weeks.

I sort of hope Linlithgow go senior, just so that you're able to join the senior posters, far too sensible for a Junior fan.

That was the problem at Whitburn they paid all the players the minimum wage which meant that no player was getting less than £60 a week which was crazy given the fact that the crowds had dwindled to the point that they didn't come anywhere near covering the wage bill.

The result was they couldn't pay wages and players left, which led to consecutive relegation to the bottom league. Thankfully now they're doing ok and hopefully they'll get promotion this year

That isn't the full story

Some junior players play that level because it suits them better than spfl, but it's an utter lie to suggest that true for the majority, the vast majority are not good enough despite any Mon the juniors shouts.

And spfl teams get better crowds than junior teams and that's pretty obvious if you actually thought about it.

Ok saying most was wrong but quite a lot is definitely true weather it be work family or money on offer, ffs there's a well known player that left senior football for amateur because of more money. There's no way the the east stirlings and the like get better attendances than the top junior teams

What makes you say that, remember I was on the committee at that time when the problems over wages begun

Turning down entry to the Super League was the start of the demise a move that Whitburn never recovered from.

I sort of hope Linlithgow go senior, just so that you're able to join the senior posters, far too sensible for a Junior fan.

HTG is actually our village!!! (only kidding - he is actually Mayor of Bo'ness)

Ok saying most was wrong but quite a lot is definitely true weather it be work family or money on offer, ffs there's a well known player that left senior football for amateur because of more money. There's no way the the east stirlings and the like get better attendances than the top junior teams

The issue here is the East Stirling are not typical. They've been protected for years by a closed shop. And Auchinleck are not typical either. The vast majority of SPFL1 and SPFL2 teams are significantly better supported than the majority of top flight teams in the East and West Superleague structure. Meadow are one of those top teams and I'm not in the least bit surprised that they'd struggle with a debt nudging 6 figures. Most SPFL teams would struggle too but they'd manage ok because their income streams are far stronger and much more dependable. If you know that you're definitely going to get nearly £50k as prize money for finishing half way up the bottom division, you can budget for that and, if struggling, manage through until you get the cash. The challenge will come for East Stirling this season if they lose the play off and fall into the Lowland League. Even then they'll get a parachute payment. In the juniors you can't rely on anything beyond your own sponsorship efforts and ability to self fundraise. People go on about the wee league teams sponging but their association goes out and secures sponsorship on their behalf. Obviously you get a bit of that in our level but the numbers are tiny and don't drip through the set up at all.

What makes you say that, remember I was on the committee at that time when the problems over wages begun

It started prior to that with a treasurer disappearing and deciding against joining the super league. The high wages was an ongoing issue but the damaged was done before you got there

Pollok president always posts on Facebook after games at Newlandsfield about how many league 1 and 2 games Pollok had a bigger crowd than. It's generally more than half of them

Archived