Medda to go for share issue

TheMeddaPie

Hope hurlford r taken note on all this. The money man will get bored n decide 2 leave n leave use with players on wages use cant afford. Is the money man still at hurlford ams aswell?

Mon the papers

Is it no the same bloke that managed the me££a's money that is in charge of hurl£ords the now????

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being more serious for a wee while, what an awful situation.

I don't know the kind of money which rattles around in Junior football but I can't see a club having a turnover which would merit spiralling them into this kind of debt without something fishy going on.

I remember a few weeks back a Troon player letting slip that players' were funding (at least partly) their mortgages with wages from their club.

Much as we love it, Junior football is not all that. Clubs should never be paying wages of this level. Attendances can't support that, sponsors are not that daft, and there's only so many fundraisers supporters can contribute to before saying "Enough".

Hopefully all other clubs will take note of this and not be so daft.

As for the share issue, it will be a donation from fans in reality. Alistair Campbell couldn't spin it to be an investment. 

Good luck to Meadow.........but I have to admit to having a wee feeling of "hell mend them"!

Hope hurlford r taken note on all this. The money man will get bored n decide 2 leave n leave use with players on wages use cant afford. Is the money man still at hurlford ams aswell?

Mon the papers

That's only a problem if you continue to pay wages after you can't afford them. You'd like to think that all clubs know that, but as we see from the situation at meadow that's not the case. Only time will tell if other clubs have learned a lesson from this or not.

Would be interesting to see what fans opinions are in what clubs are spending beyond their means

Obviously the most mentioned on here is Hurlford but I believe there are more than them . Personally think Troon & Glenafton don't seem to have the fan base to pay players the wages they do but obviously don't know how the commercial side of things work there . Winton & Buffs in the 1st seem to be doing the same as from what I hear are Girvan & Darvel but I am prepared to be stood corrected in all of them. As I say just looking as a fan standing out looking in

Players are entitled to whatever a club is willing to pay them, what's happened at Meadow is no fault of any player, if you were offered more money in your own job I doubt if many would say no that's fine I earn enough so forget the rise.

The previous committee have been caught out here by living beyond their means, the same thing happened at Whitburn when I was on that committee, they wouldn't be told about the high wages that were getting paid out and eventually paid the price and tumbled down the divisions.

Although I feel for the new committee that's now running the club, I don't think that there is any way out for them other than clearing off all the outstanding debts and starting again in whatever league they find themselves in. Good luck to them and hopefully they can sort out the financial mess they find themselves in

Not so sure I agree with this. Seems to me that some players chase the bucks. Nugent4nil tells a similar story about players travelling further for an extra fiver. Not completely culpable for situations like Meadow but that kind of attitude isn't exactly helpful either.

Meadow overspent and the Golf thing was just stupid money, 

The Hibs game saved us and filled the hole left for that season.

The debt then was about £40K

Told that lessons were learned and money was raised, and is still be raised,

some specifically for the clearing of debts and righting the ship.

And 6/7 years later the debt has doubled.

No lessons have been learned

No debt reduction has taken place

It is a fucking shambles of an affair.

To sick to add any more.

Meadow overspent and the Golf thing was just stupid money, 

The Hibs game saved us and filled the hole left for that season.

The debt then was about £40K

Told that lessons were learned and money was raised, and is still be raised,

some specifically for the clearing of debts and righting the ship.

And 6/7 years later the debt has doubled.

No lessons have been learned

No debt reduction has taken place

It is a fucking shambles of an affair.

To sick to add any more.

There stands an honest Junior fan. Well done, pal.

Junior football is littered continually with these stories.  You would think teams would learn from teams like Kilwinning, Bathgate and Dundee St Josephs.   I worry about Kelty as they seem to be spending big at present - but in their defence they do seem to be a bit more switched on

Unfortunately fans (understandably) get carried along in the Glory but in most cases are the ones who ultimately suffer most when things go bad.

I have mixed emotions on this - whilst acknowledging their pain this situation brings - I can't but help think it serves them right.

Over a number of years watching the junior game I have saw both Talbot and Linlithgow be continually successful living within our means.  Proof that success isn't just about the biggest Wallet

Players are entitled to whatever a club is willing to pay them, what's happened at Meadow is no fault of any player, if you were offered more money in your own job I doubt if many would say no that's fine I earn enough so forget the rise.

this is absolutely 100% correct.

football players have a skill that can be used to earn money and make their (& their families ) lives more comfortable. The idea that any working class guy should knock back an additional income source is mental. It might be the difference between a comfortable life and a struggle.

The only fault lies with those writing contracts they can't honour.

End of the day if ur offered more money at a different company most of us would take it tbh. Players not 2 blame committee and management team yes. Shocked it's being going on so long and this is it just getting addressed.

Mon the papers

Junior football is littered continually with these stories.  You would think teams would learn from teams like Kilwinning, Bathgate and Dundee St Josephs.   I worry about Kelty as they seem to be spending big at present - but in their defence they do seem to be a bit more switched on

Unfortunately fans (understandably) get carried along in the Glory but in most cases are the ones who ultimately suffer most when things go bad.

I have mixed emotions on this - whilst acknowledging their pain this situation brings - I can't but help think it serves them right.

Over a number of years watching the junior game I have saw both Talbot and Linlithgow be continually successful living within our means.  Proof that success isn't just about the biggest Wallet

No need to worry about Kelty, we have a sustainable model that works for us.

We dont solely rely on gate receipts, sponsors, social club income but all that mixed together with a well thought out plan can work and it is for us.

Below is a number of reasons on how we are able to compete and challenge better supported clubs, if anyone is interested - 

-Our big social club of which we heavily invested in last year for the future income and stability of the club is fully booked almost every Friday and Saturday for functions, every single penny that goes over the bar is put into the club.

-We are fortunate to have a fairly big hard working and loyal committee (some are founder members) who have served the club for tens of years, theres never been a change to the people who run the club since it began giving us stability and trust.

-We have numerous loyal sponsors who have been supportive for years, the main sponsor has a very successful business and has been involved with the club since a kid both himself and his family.

-We run numerous well attended functions through ought the season

-We offer facilities that is being improved all the time that which players can be confident of performing and improving whilst at the club

-We look after every one of our players and staff 100%, players past and present will back that up.

Mix all this together and it provides a platform for the club to compete without being financially foolish.

Serious question here as you have mentioned such teams above.and I do agree they don't have the biggest of fan bases but how many junior teamscan keep afloat with just income from gate receipts or should I say fan based income

Good question and one that I often reflect on when I've been engaged in these conversations about teams in the SPFL hoovering up their share of sponsorship or prize money. The bottom line is that many clubs need to rely on external income and yet in Junior football there is almost an inverted snobbery about the SPFL. Many people at this level ridicule those SPFL teams but they're only doing what they need to do and in return they do need to deliver facilities and other requirements to a reasonable standard. In the juniors, clubs are free to play in middens (not Meadow) whilst operating with significant player wages. There seem to be very few checks and balances at this level.

No need to worry about Kelty, we have a sustainable model that works for us.

We dont solely rely on gate receipts, sponsors, social club income but all that mixed together with a well thought out plan can work and it is for us.

Below is a number of reasons on how we are able to compete and challenge better supported clubs, if anyone is interested - 

-Our big social club of which we heavily invested in last year for the future income and stability of the club is fully booked almost every Friday and Saturday for functions, every single penny that goes over the bar is put into the club.

-We are fortunate to have a fairly big hard working and loyal committee (some are founder members) who have served the club for tens of years, theres never been a change to the people who run the club since it began giving us stability and trust.

-We have numerous loyal sponsors who have been supportive for years, the main sponsor has a very successful business and has been involved with the club since a kid both himself and his family.

-We run numerous well attended functions through ought the season

-We offer facilities that is being improved all the time that which players can be confident of performing and improving whilst at the club

-We look after every one of our players and staff 100%, players past and present will back that up.

Mix all this together and it provides a platform for the club to compete without being financially foolish.

Good to hear - its about getting that balance where ambition doesn't outweigh reality.  (Wasn't being critical in my previous post)

Serious question here as you have mentioned such teams above.and I do agree they don't have the biggest of fan bases but how many junior teamscan keep afloat with just income from gate receipts or should I say fan based income

I know we don't anyways

A lot of hard work via the committee & our newly formed fundraising committee on top of match day revenues which haven't been much this year & valuable sponsorship from companies like J& D pierce & CK construction to name a few keep us going . Would imagine only a few teams can say that they really survive in fans revenue alone

Archived