Medda to go for share issue

TheMeddaPie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What has happened to Irvine meadow? Always thought they had bit of money. Shame to see them in this position

They were spending big bucks back in c.2007/08 onwards.  Would imagine that's contributed significantly to where they are now

Supporters heard how total debt levels - which creep into six figures - had "become unmanageable."

I had no idea it was quite that bad.

This doesn't sound good.

I wish the committee and fans at Meadow all the best in their fight, really hope they can get that sorted.

Shocked at how bad it is, and echo those wishing the club every success in turning things around.

One gripe I have though is when Murdie was quoted in the papers saying that things were that bad at Meadow the club was in danger of going to the wall, also comments made on here attributed to the Meadow dressing room that led to one of the best posters here going mute the Meadow committee came out in forced decrying such suggestions as scare mongering hence trying to taint the names of those involved.

I guess the full details wont be known for a while if ever but its seems a bit off from me. There are a lot of good people at the club some I call good friends and once again I wish them luck.

As an outsider it reads as if the committee over the past few years have made a complete Horlicks of running the club on an even keel. Can fans confirm what has been going on, have they been ignoring it and hoping things would get better or has this just appeared from nowhere?

You don't end up owing £75k because the fixture man isn't that kind to you over the winter months, that's also a false argument as even with a complete season fixture list you have no idea how the weather will impact on your games and you could still end up having a couple of months with no home games.

I don't see the problem with dropping to the District League over the next year or so if it helps the club survive and it gives them ample opportunity to rebuild.

Meadow have over recent times not had their enemies to seek, a lot of resentment abound when the money was being splashed about. However, it would be a huge loss to our grade should they go to the wall, still one of the best venues in the grade. Have my doubts about a share issue, I just don't think Meadow have a solid enough base support to invest enough in this.

Anyway, hope they come through it and the local public back them. My club were in a similar predicament many moons ago, the rest as they say......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I don't see the problem with dropping to the District League over the next year or so if it helps the club survive and it gives them ample opportunity to rebuild.

Absolutely spot on.

League status is nowhere near as important as the survival of the club. As long as the supporters have a team to support, that's what is important, regardless of what level they are playing at.

Previous committee & management must bare the blame here surely ?

Whilst I must admit to not liking them as a club I would never wish them to go to the wall . Hopefully the fans & local community rally round but the community has never really backed the club so......

Around 2 years ago(I think) it was stated in the papers that they were in £36,000 of debt but clearly they never tightened up and have allowed this to get worse and worse still and now it's came back to bite them on the arse. Surely they knew this was going to happen eventually, no amount of money lasts forever. We're talking junior football here where there isn't any profits to be made so you just need to live within your means. Last season they even resorted to shaking donation tins at games for people to donate money to the club, so they've obviously known this for quite a while.

It's pretty obvious that the club has been severely financially mismanaged over a number of years. Now is not the time for Medda fans to be critical of what has preceded our current situation, now is the time to stand up & take responsibility in order to stand up to the challenges that we face.

Although I don't agree with recent club decisions, this situation is about the survival & ongoing security of a 120 year football club.

Thanks also for the messages of support on this thread from others involved in Scottish Junior football

#Monthemedda #Monthejuniors

Read the statement and the cumulative reasons given for the current position that they find themselves in don`t stack up. For a Junior club to rack up a debt of that size is nothing short of negligent and the biggest reason for the position that the club finds itself in now comes under the heading of MISMANAGEMENT. The custodians/committee whatever they are labelled are entirely responsible for the clubs current plight.Interesting to note that the "potential investors" that they have lined up have stipulated that any further investment will only be made if the club changes it`s constitution (ie board of Directors, accountability etc)

But here`s a thought..... why don`t they downsize completely to within their means, and if that means a further drop to the ADL then why don`t they do it in a positive manner and take the opportunity to re-invent their club by engaging with the local community and looking to develop good, young local talent as the foundation for their club over the next 10,15 years....

On downsizing, they'll still need to meet the "tax and bank debt". At junior football level you won't find the sort of savings needed to clear that size of debt just by dropping a couple of leagues and using amateur players. There needs to be external investment. If I were putting in several hundred pounds to buy shares I'd want to see the future shape of the constitution. I'd also want to know who the potential investors are. And I'd want to know that the share issue wouldn't be followed by an administration event which saw me getting a penny in the pound back. Having said all that, if it were my club I'd happily raise a few hundred and give them it without the need for a share issue. Talk of a share issue would worry me more than just getting a bucket collection going. Then again if it's your team, you get the sleeves rolled up and save them.

The tax part will be biggest worry. If they can get investment and provide the bank with some sort of business plan going forward then they might be able to negotiate with them. HMRC on the other hand won't be so easily placated.

Hope they can sort things out, one of the better grounds to visit.

What has happened to Irvine meadow? Always thought they had bit of money. Shame to see them in this position

folk that used to be in charge fucked the club over, current committee now paying the price.

Archived