Away Fan Experience

Brighton have received a lot of plaudits this season for their treatment of away fans visiting the Amex. Specifically around the visit of Middlesbrough around the Christmas period, where Brighton offered the Boro specialty of chicken parmigiana as an alternative to the usual pie on the concourses. The club has a specific Twitter account for away fans too.

I believe away fans are often seen as an after-thought for most clubs. Shunted off into corners, and treated differently. 

I don't live anywhere near the club I support so quite often my match-day experience is as an away fan. I thought I'd open it up, what do you want to see from clubs as away fans? How could we be better treated?

Unfortunately, many clubs' treatment of both home and away fans is dictated by whatever stewarding firm is employed.  Even at our level with crowds of between 300 and 500, stewarding is ridiculously over the top. G4S at Hampden are certainly better than they were, but they searched everyone coming in on Saturday and sometimes fail to appreciate that they're not in charge of a visit to the cinema.

A visit to Ochilview will almost inevitably involve stewards  acting like playground monitors and Broadwood combines daft reasons for not being able to use the bar with demands to see fire certificates for flags.  Thankfully, they've given up trying to get everyone to sit down.

Some places do seem to get it right (Arbroath, Annan are good examples)

I can understand Old Firm fans being treated with discipline as a good number of them are scum, but there seems to be a blanket approach to stewarding that is totally out of proportion at our (Division 2) level.

But, as the man says, home fans are often treated like an annoyance, so it's only going to be worse for away fans.

Unfortunately, many clubs' treatment of both home and away fans is dictated by whatever stewarding firm is employed. Even at our level with crowds of between 300 and 500, stewarding is ridiculously over the top. G4S at Hampden are certainly better than they were, but they searched everyone coming in on Saturday and sometimes fail to appreciate that they're not in charge of a visit to the cinema.

A visit to Ochilview will almost inevitably involve stewards acting like playground monitors and Broadwood combines daft reasons for not being able to use the bar with demands to see fire certificates for flags. Thankfully, they've given up trying to get everyone to sit down.

Some places do seem to get it right (Arbroath, Annan are good examples)

I can understand Old Firm fans being treated with discipline as a good number of them are scum,but there seems to be a blanket approach to stewarding that is totally out of proportion at our (Division 2) level.

But, as the man says, home fans are often treated like an annoyance, so it's only going to be worse for away fans.

Out of order mate. Yes we have many idiots but then with having a larger fan base, you will by law of averages get more bampots. Just last week Dundee Utd fans damaged 70 seats up at Ross County but there was no pictures & big hoo-ha in the papers about it, the same way there was when some of our bampots wrecked fewer seats at Fir Park.

Hearts have had to call the police to Tynecastle on 3 occasions this season while Police made a number of arrests among Motherwell fans for fighting at Tynecastle.

Wouldn't see them being called Scum though.

Out of order mate. Yes we have many idiots but then with having a larger fan base, you will by law of averages get more bampots. Just last week Dundee Utd fans damaged 70 seats up at Ross County but there was no pictures & big hoo-ha in the papers about it, the same way there was when some of our bampots wrecked fewer seats at Fir Park.

Hearts have had to call the police to Tynecastle on 3 occasions this season while Police made a number of arrests among Motherwell fans for fighting at Tynecastle.

Wouldn't see them being called Scum though.

Because they aren't. Simple, really.

Out of order mate. Yes we have many idiots but then with having a larger fan base, you will by law of averages get more bampots. 

Nah, the percentage of utter fuckwits in the OF support far outweighs any other team; it's not just down to numbers.  You tend to attract them more than any other side.  Go into any wee town in Scotland and the most brain dead will be standing there in their OF shell suits.  There are places I've been with the QP where the only hassle we've ever encountered is from OF fans.

There are bellends supporting other sides, as you point out, but they don't have the additional edge of bigotry that so many of the OF fans have.  Try standing with opposition fans to get the full flavour of what I mean.

OF fans have this misapprehension that all fans are like their fans.  That's not the case.

So, no; I'm not out of order.

I have been to several grounds in Scotland as an away fan. The away day experience for me involves the pubs we can go into before the game, the friendliness/efficiency of the ground staff, stadium catering and parking/accessibility to the match.

Every ground/city/town I have visited with the following exceptions have always been great days out.

Inverness CT staff seem to deliberately go out of their way to be unwelcoming jobsworths. Every game I have been to up there has been the same, the stewards and club officials seem surprised and a bit annoyed that Aberdeen take a big support. That club could take lessons in hospitality from their neighbours in Dingwall. County is a cracking trip.

Celtic Park, restricted view seating, being pelted with stones by junior neds on the way out of the game. Mocked and goaded by groups of pissed up Celtic fans itching to provoke a reaction whilst making my way back to the city centre.

I will only go back there in a supporters bus, straight in, straight out. You don't have to go far to see football done properly though. Patrick are great, mingling with home supporters in pubs pre match discussing the merits, frailties, hopes and expectations of our respective teams.

In my experience it's all down to people not being dicks and the vast majority of the time it's been great.

I have been to several grounds in Scotland as an away fan. The away day experience for me involves the pubs we can go into before the game, the friendliness/efficiency of the ground staff, stadium catering and parking/accessibility to the match.

Every ground/city/town I have visited with the following exceptions have always been great days out.

Inverness CT staff seem to deliberately go out of their way to be unwelcoming jobsworths. Every game I have been to up there has been the same, the stewards and club officials seem surprised and a bit annoyed that Aberdeen take a big support. That club could take lessons in hospitality from their neighbours in Dingwall. County is a cracking trip.

Celtic Park, restricted view seating, being pelted with stones by junior neds on the way out of the game. Mocked and goaded by groups of pissed up Celtic fans itching to provoke a reaction whilst making my way back to the city centre.

I will only go back there in a supporters bus, straight in, straight out. You don't have to go far to see football done properly though. Patrick are great, mingling with home supporters in pubs pre match discussing the merits, frailties, hopes and expectations of our respective teams.

In my experience it's all down to people not being dicks and the vast majority of the time it's been great.

Celtic just behaving like their blue counterparts then.

In the championship:

Rangers - just see celtic in the quoted post

Hibs - good prematch down leith, pretty soulless in a ground that we always seem to ship goals and is one of our lowest attended games of the season.

Falkirk - meh, five minute drive and as much as the media try to push it as a derby I don't think it ever will be. Pretty boring stadium to go to.

Raith Rovers - not too bad, pretty rubbish view inside of the ground but I quite enjoy a trip their

Morton - one of my favourite away days in this league, not too much travel there's a nice boozer we frequent and (in alloas terms) we seem to travel not bad their.

Queen of the south - on par if not better than morton, it's a day out when your their and plenty of drink.

Dumbarton - yawn! Only positive is the bowling club outside the ground is nice.

Livingston - see above but without the positive

St Mirren - good day out, the alamo bar is smashing aswell and only 5-10 minutes from the ground

Archived