Exchange rates

paul-r-cfc

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive got one,but as i said sometimes the rates are better elsewhere ,its basically finding out which is best on the day your exchanging your wonga

I don't believe this.  The rate provided on the Clarity card is the Mastercard rate which is based on the wholesale market, you also cannot tell on the day as the Mastercard rate is set at the end of each day.

For example the rate for Friday in USD was 1.4366 and EUR was 1.265098.  Compare this with the best rates on Moneysavingexpert

which was USD 1.425 and EUR 1.25

Of course the risk that you run is that you cannot "lock-in" a rate as the spend will hit the card on the day that it is made.

I don't believe this.  The rate provided on the Clarity card is the Mastercard rate which is based on the wholesale market, you also cannot tell on the day as the Mastercard rate is set at the end of each day.

For example the rate for Friday in USD was 1.4366 and EUR was 1.265098.  Compare this with the best rates on Moneysavingexpert

which was USD 1.425 and EUR 1.25

Of course the risk that you run is that you cannot "lock-in" a rate as the spend will hit the card on the day that it is made.

Are they showing the tourist rate or business rate??Which is quite a common mistake people (ive done it myself) make

Are they showing the tourist rate or business rate??Which is quite a common mistake people (ive done it myself) make

Not sure who you are meaning here?

The rates shown by MSE are the best cash rates that you can get in the UK.  The Mastercard Rates are the rates used by Halifax for the Clarity card. 

The clarity card (pre-loaded if you want to use if for cash withdrawals) offers the best spot priced exchange rate. 

If anyone is going to use the Clarity for cash withdrawals and wants to pre-load, DO NOT phone to make a payment as it will normally be refused if it will take you into a positive balance.  Do it using a faster payment or other electronic method.

Pound to Euro in free fall and I'm going to Malia the week before the referendum. Hopefully the polls swing to remain and relax the markets a tad. Gutted I didn't just bulk buy Euros at Christmas time.

Hold off.  Going by the press today, they may be back using the Drachma!

Pound to Euro in free fall and I'm going to Malia the week before the referendum. Hopefully the polls swing to remain and relax the markets a tad. Gutted I didn't just bulk buy Euros at Christmas time.

I'm on holiday during the referendum, I fully expect to see some wee numpty celebrate if it's a leave vote

I've been using this for about 6 months and it's been brilliant. www.revolut.com

App on my phone let's me upload pounds from my current account then exchange it at the constantly changing (literally you see the rate fluctuating as you confirm the transaction) bank rate then spend it on the pre paid master card.

Used it in Norway, Sweden, Oman, Spain, Ireland, USA and UK so far and never paid a penny in fees for using the card in stores or withdrawal from ATM and always got a better rate than the High Street.

App gives you instant notification of withdrawal too.

I used to just use my Nationwide debit account as it offered free withdrawals with no exchange fees but sadly that stopped a couple of years ago.

• 1 month later...

I've just returned from Florida with more Dollars than I expected, heading to Frankfurt this weekend on a stag and need Euros.....

Is there any way I can change the dollars direct to Euros. Going to lose out on about 70Euros if I change them back to sterling then to dollars.

Cheers! Can't believe I didn't even think of that. Probably just going to do that, be a bit shite having to look about for somewhere though.

Just don't change it at the airport.

Cheers! Can't believe I didn't even think of that. Probably just going to do that, be a bit shite having to look about for somewhere though.

Should you be travelling alone mate?

Seriously though, anywhere you would have changed sterling to Euros will do dollars to Euro as well.

Should you be travelling alone mate?

Seriously though, anywhere you would have changed sterling to Euros will do dollars to Euro as well.

Not in the UK though?! Can only sell dollars back to sterling then buy euros from that.

Got a guy from work to buy them from me for the going rate anyway.

Anyone know if the pound's doing any better against the Dollar than the Euro? Going to Cuba in July and they recommend taking either now that the US relations are better (they used to put a 10% tax on changing dollars). I'm gambling on a remain vote to give the pound a boost but getting a bit nervous at the polls and might hedge a bit by buying some currency now before the referendum.

Got £1 - 1.28 euro this afternoon (I don't have a euro sign on the laptop), it's probably the best you will get about now.  The markets are away to get very twitchy over the next fortnight...

I got a load out when it was £1 = 1.40 euros, but I've had a couple of holidays since then and it's gone. Should have got a lot more, though I think it might creep back up to 1.35 or so if the vote is remain. A leave vote for the euro is bit complicated because the euro would fall too. That's why I'm thinking about the dollar but I haven't tracked it like the euro.

I got a load out when it was £1 = 1.40 euros, but I've had a couple of holidays since then and it's gone. Should have got a lot more, though I think it might creep back up to 1.35 or so if the vote is remain. A leave vote for the euro is bit complicated because the euro would fall too. That's why I'm thinking about the dollar but I haven't tracked it like the euro.

Yep, we got that last year and it was the first ever holiday I came home with money.  We were in Cephalonia not long after the trouble so the Greeks had lowered a lot of prices as not to spook the tourists so it was as close to the old 'cheap holiday' as you would get these days.  I think it was a couple of years ago it was £1-1euro so anything north of that is fine with me.

I don't think the pound would rise that much if we remain, if we leave, it will plummet like a stone.  I've managed to get the majority today, so happy with that.

Archived