Tried to find the rules for Domestic football games being televised at the same time as Champions league but with no luck.

Was pissed off not being able to see the Hibs Hearts game the other week due to this (supposed) rule...... However Hull v Arsenal (FA cup replay) is on BT sport tonight.

What is the rule? or is the English FA just giving UEFA the 2 fingers?

Anyone got an idea?

Aye, they were given dispensation by UEFA.  I'd be tempted to suggest that it's easier to get that dispensation if you're one of the big clubs from one of the big countries and it's being shown by one of the big TV companies who just so happen to have also paid for the Champions League rights...but I wouldn't want to come across as cynical...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/25/arsenal-hull-fa-cup-replay-8-march

Given dispensation for no particular reason apparently. It's either a case of double standards or our own FA proving completely incompetent and not asking for dispensation to show the Scottish Cup replays a few weeks ago when the option was available.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/25/arsenal-hull-fa-cup-replay-8-march

Given dispensation for no particular reason apparently. It's either a case of double standards or our own FA proving completely incompetent and not asking for dispensation to show the Scottish Cup replays a few weeks ago when the option was available.

I know it would never happen but it would at least show UEFA up for the shower they are if the SFA at least tried but got a KB. It may be down to because its the big boys that asked.

Anyway as neutral wanting to watch Hibs Hearts it was a b*****d missing it but for a fan going to the game a 7pm ko would have been the b*****d.

SFA: Hiya Uefa....um we've got a big Edinburgh derby coming up on Tuesday, and The Rangers are also playing, mind if we um..televise these games?

Uefa: dsnt.gif

SFA: Sorry to bother you.

There are 3 different aspects:

(1) ... nothing in top levels & cups etc. is allowed on the day of the Champions League final. This is particularly draconian given it's not played until 7:45pm in the evening.

(2) ... nothing in top levels & cups etc. is allowed to be scheduled for CL & EL dates - i.e. when calendars and fixture-lists are put together - but postponed games, cancelled games, cup replays, etc. can be caught-up on these dates

(3) ... no games can be televised on CL & EL dates, unless completed before or started after CL & EL times

It's clear that UEFA turn a blind eye occasionally - e.g. League Cup R2 in Scotland and England are played on a European night in August, though not televised - and some games in lower levels appear to go on TV sometimes. Occasionally nations like England or Spain have defied it and taken a fine; then tonight "dispensation" was allowed.

There's one big difference between the English and Scottish examples.  The Scottish Cup rights belong to Sky or the BBC, while the English ones belong to BT Sport.  BT Sport are the holders of the UEFA TV rights in the UK.

The whole purpose of this rule is to protect the interests of the Champions League (and Europa League) rights holders.  They pay UEFA massive amounts of money to show CL games under the assumption that they'll have what basically amounts to a monopoly of TV coverage on each matchday.  However, in this case, it was the same company (BT) who wanted to broadcast the other game, so there was no need for UEFA to "protect" them.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems UEFA have allowed the FA to show Man Utd v West Ham Utd replay in the FA Cup Qf, up against a pair of CL Qfs on Wednesday 13th April. Once again it's been given a 7pm kick-off.

http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/2016/mar/west-ham-v-manchester-united-replay-date-announced

As it's live free-to-air on BBC, it dispels the notion it's about who's the broadcaster.

Don't talk rubbish :lol:!! Hearts v Hibs was a sell-out... Inverness v Hibs may have had a slightly diminished attendance had it been live on TV, true; but put up against £82,500 for each club you would have needed drop of 8,250 adult admissions at £20 before they lost out which is more than double the actual crowd.

Similarly the Kilmarnock v Rangers replay drew an impressive crowd of over 13,000. It might have been less on TV, but not by anything like enough to impact.

Don't talk rubbish :lol:!! Hearts v Hibs was a sell-out... Inverness v Hibs may have had a slightly diminished attendance had it been live on TV, true; but put up against £82,500 for each club you would have needed drop of 8,250 adult admissions at £20 before they lost out which is more than double the actual crowd.

Similarly the Kilmarnock v Rangers replay drew an impressive crowd of over 13,000. It might have been less on TV, but not by anything like enough to impact.

I think the poster means if the game kicked-off at 6-45 or 7pm instead of a more traditional kick-off time.

I know. My point is: even if on TV at 7pm, whatever drop in crowds there were - which I doubt would've been large - wouldn't have approached TV fee.

Edinburgh papers said Hearts & Hibs were actively trying to televise it but couldn't because it would have to be Monday or 5pm. (Presumably the broadcasters wouldn't want it at 5pm anyway, tbf, and obviously that would markedly affect crowds whereas 7pm wouldn't).

Now we've got FA Cup replays being allowed on Tuesdays & Wednesdays at 7pm (albeit why 7pm not 7:45pm is unclear).

Archived