Natalie McGarry- Again

Tom McB

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

She doesn't sound like she's the most organised individual.

She was organised enough to shift the cash into accounts that she could use as she pleased.

Edited by ayrmad

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Tom, Dick or Harry would probably have got at least 2 years.

ETA...  Then again maybe not.

https://matthewberlowcriminallawyer.co.uk/benefit-fraud/cases-of-benefit-fraud-bring-fines-and-jail-sentences-for-scottish-defendants/

Edited by ICTJohnboy

I am quite shocked that she received a prison sentence.  Obviously the defence notes in view of sentencing are meant to make you feel for the defendant, but to have suffered a miscarriage this week, be a mother to an 18 month old child, and then by being sent to prison resulting in potential job losses for her partner in order to look after the child, I wonder if the judge could have considered some other punitive method.

Former SNP MP goes to jail.

Got a feeling this isn’t the last time we will see that headline this year.

SleazeNP at it as usual.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I am quite shocked that she received a prison sentence.  Obviously the defence notes in view of sentencing are meant to make you feel for the defendant, but to have suffered a miscarriage this week, be a mother to an 18 month old child, and then by being sent to prison resulting in potential job losses for her partner in order to look after the child, I wonder if the judge could have considered some other punitive method.

Tough shit. 

She knew prison was on cards so rather careless to get pregnant.

Edited by Rowan

11 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Tough shit. 

She knew prison was on cards so rather careless to get pregnant.

She probably thought another baby on the way would give her a better chance of a non custodial sentence. If she'd fessed up from the start, promised to pay back all the money eventually, and used the excuse of being disorganised and inexperienced, she might have got off with community service, preferably 5 years in a foodbank. Instead she denied everything for as long as she could, then tried to withdraw her guilty pleas.

Just now, welshbairn said:

She probably thought another baby on the way would give her a better chance of a non custodial sentence. If she'd fessed up from the start, promised to pay back all the money eventually, and used the excuse of being disorganised and inexperienced, she might have got off with community service, preferably 5 years in a foodbank. Instead she denied everything for as long as she could, then tried to withdraw her guilty pleas.

Yup. Nothing but a play to avoid jail imo. Also took her two months contact mental health team which just happened to be the weekend before hearing. Again I’m rather cynical about that too.