Sharapova fails drugs test

supermik

Yeah but she hasn't been declaring it for 10 years, as far as I'm aware?

I think that's where the authorities are maybe going wrong then.

Yes, there should be a banned list, but there should also be more acceptance of the fact that it does and will happen.

Players at the top level of any sport should be forced to provide regular updates on their diet and whatever supplements they take. If you are tested and something turns up that is legal and you haven't declared it, you get a bollocking the first time and you are out the second time. If it's something illegal then you're out and that's it.

It's about the only way I can see that they will ever get close to leveling the playing field.

Edited by Ross.

I think that's where the authorities are maybe going wrong then.

Yes, there should be a banned list, but there should also be more acceptance of the fact that it does and will happen.

Players at the top level of any sport should be forced to provide regular updates on their diet and whatever supplements they take. If you are tested and something turns up that is legal and you haven't declared it, you get a bollocking the first time and you are out the second time. If it's something illegal then you're out and that's it.

It's about the only way I can see that they will ever get close to leveling the playing field.

That's my understanding of what did happen!

She IS supposed to declare prescribed legal medication but hasn't been doing it for 10 years!

That's my understanding of what did happen!

She IS supposed to declare prescribed legal medication but hasn't been doing it for 10 years!

If that's the case then she deserves all she gets. I personally would be delighted to offer my services in ensuring she is given a suitable spanking.

A Russian world champion swimmer has failed a drug test, rumoured to be for meldonium.

Another top Russian athlete with a dodgy heart! But Meldonium can treat it and also turn you into a world champion.

ETA - the BBC says that Yuliya Efimova is facing a life ban. "US-based Efimova was banned for 16 months by Fina after traces of the anabolic steroid DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) were found in her system at an out of competition test in Los Angeles in 2013."

Plus  "Russian Olympic bobsledder Nadezhda Sergeeva has also tested positive for the drug... Bobsledder Sergeeva, 28, who competed at the 2014 Sochi Games, told the R-Sport news agency she took the drug at the end of last year under the instructions of doctors and cardiologists and expected it to have left her system by the 1 January deadline."

Edited by Bishop Briggs

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, madness007 said:

I was a really big fan of Sharapova. I am very disappointed that it happened.

I'd be very surprised if the vast majority of sports stars weren't juicing tbh. I also think potential links to manufacturers, such as Nike should be investigated.