Sharapova fails drugs test

supermik

Because there are plenty of people who think that playing within the letter of the law is unfair if it involves taking "chemical" supplements beneficial to performance, especially if they come from somewhere like Latvia. It's irrelevant to them that every top sportsperson does the same. Her sponsors care about these people and therefore Sharapova has to as well.

It could not possibly be unfair because the same advantage was available to every other competitor. Until Jan 1st 2016 she did nothing wrong by taking mildronate. Every tennis player could have done the same thing and many of them probably did, there are six other athletes who have tested positive for mildronate this year.

If you want to talk about unfair advantages then read Agassi's autobiography or ask Serena Williams about her panic room.

The next time I see her, I definitely will.

If she's been taking it for 10 years then she'll have 10 years of paperwork declaring it on every drugs test she's ever taken ...unless she forgot for the last 10 years.

She wouldn't have to declare it, it wasn't banned until January 1st.

If she's been taking it for 10 years then she'll have 10 years of paperwork declaring it on every drugs test she's ever taken ...unless she forgot for the last 10 years.

Sharapova should not have been taking it for 10 years. The manufacturer says that a few weeks or months is the maximum treatment period. 

BBCDr Bassindale said: "It's advertised as giving a mental focus, removing external stress so you feel sharper. There is a slight central nervous system effect, like with stimulants such as caffeine, which gives you a sharper edge. But it will aid recovery quicker from a hard effort, whether that's playing multiple games of tennis or a cyclist coming back the next day for another stage. There is also an endurance effect."

"Last year, as part of Wada's monitoring of meldonium, a testing centre in the German city of Cologne found that 182 of 8,320 random urine samples gave positive results for the drug - a rate of 2.2%. "That's huge," says Dr Bassindale. "The overall positive tests for all other doping was about 2% from 280,000 tests."

A Russian cyclist in the Katusha team has failed a test for the same drug. It's a clearly a widely-used PED that Sharapova has admitted to using since she was 18. She does have the option of applying for a retrospective Therapeutic Use Exemption to avoid a ban. She would, however, have to prove that she has a condition that needs meldonium to treat it. 

Edited by Bishop Briggs

The latest German documentary on doping focuses on the Russians using Meldonium is worth a look. Here is the version in English - http://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Sport-inside/Doping-top-secret-Russia-s-red-herrin/WDR-Fernsehen/Video?bcastId=1493328&documentId=33992110 and also on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XGVKE3yrXs. The discussion of Meldonium starts around 6 minutes 25 seconds.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

I notice Murray has put the boot in, noting that 55 athletes have failed tests for meldonium this year and saying "I find it strange that there's a prescription drug used for heart conditions and so many athletes competing at the top level of their sport would have that condition. That sounds a bit off to me."

Rafa was compelled to remind everyone how clean he is. Doth he protest too much?

Rafael Nadal: Spaniard says he is a 'completely clean guy' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35770949

he must have the same PR team as Paula Radcliffe? as that is the exact same statment she makes whenever an athletics story is released without getting asked about it.

I notice Murray has put the boot in, noting that 55 athletes have failed tests for meldonium this year and saying "I find it strange that there's a prescription drug used for heart conditions and so many athletes competing at the top level of their sport would have that condition. That sounds a bit off to me."

He has alluded to issues in mens tennis before (clearly nadal n djocovic) without naming names.....but his statement was superb cos it allowed likes of ssn to nail Sharapova for the 'medical condition ' lie

Rafa Nadal had to respond to comments made by a former French Minister of Sport that commented that he served a silent ban for doping. This silent ban coincided with him being injured. You'd be very surprised if he was doping right now as he's utter shite.

Murray was the only tennis player to criticise the Spanish blood bags getting destroyed and will often go against player etiquette and say all bans are deserved. He also stated that Sharapova should get the maximum ban.

Djokovic on the other hand is very sympathetic to players caught taking banned substances.

The ATP will always have accusations of doping and corruption until they have an independent body carrying out the tests. I think all players making the last 16 in all Masters and Slams should have to complete blood and urine tests throughout each competition.

Murray has stated he's been tested twice this year. Think it was seven times last year. Certainly not enough. Murray also criticised his own sponsors for extending sharapova's contract. Head have also wanted Wada to provide proof to them of the positive side effects of the drug.

I'm not a huge observer of Tennis, but it is just coincidence that Nadal was outstanding for years, then doping came to the forefront and there was suggestions about upping the tests in Tennis, and since that he's been shit?

It would be a shame if one day we do find out Nadal and Djokovic were doping, as you'd wonder quite how much Murray could've won if they'd been a level below what they are/were.

I see McEnroe is supporting her saying taking legal drugs to boost performance is a no brainier , what a fanny.

I agree with him. If it is legal and available for everyone, then there is no advantage. It's just a case of how far you are willing to push yourself and how much risk you are willing to take with your own body.

I agree with him. If it is legal and available for everyone, then there is no advantage. It's just a case of how far you are willing to push yourself and how much risk you are willing to take with your own body.

Stupid view, there are thousands of drugs out there , with more and more being created everyday that are borderline bans, most the doping agency's don't know enough about to ban, so you're saying is as long as people can make or discover performance enhancing drugs that aren't illegal yet, that's absolutely fine?!

If Sharapova and thousands more had been declaring taking this drug for the last ten years ,like she was supposed to, then it would have been banned years ago.

The fact is they are supposed to declare all medication prescribed ,recreational , herbal or whatever so the doping agencies can ban performance enhancing ones, she didn't do it , she kept quiet for ten years knowing she was taking the to boost her performance.

Stupid view, there are thousands of drugs out there , with more and more being created everyday that are borderline bans, most the doping agency's don't know enough about to ban, so you're saying is as long as people can make or discover performance enhancing drugs that aren't illegal yet, that's absolutely fine?!

If Sharapova and thousands more had been declaring taking this drug for the last ten years ,like she was supposed to, then it would have been banned years ago.

The fact is they are supposed to declare all medication prescribed ,recreational , herbal or whatever so the doping agencies can ban performance enhancing ones, she didn't do it , she kept quiet for ten years knowing she was taking the to boost her performance.

As long as people declare fully what they are taking then it remains a fair and open field. Doping and performance enhancing drugs have existed for as long as sport has existed. It will continue for as long as sport exists. The best thing you can do is try to ensure everyone has access to the same level of stuff.

As long as people declare fully what they are taking then it remains a fair and open field. Doping and performance enhancing drugs have existed for as long as sport has existed. It will continue for as long as sport exists. The best thing you can do is try to ensure everyone has access to the same level of stuff.

Yeah but she hasn't been declaring it for 10 years, as far as I'm aware?