Sharapova fails drugs test

supermik

Press conference just played on 5Live.

A medicine she has taken for ten years has gone on the banned list but she didn't open the email.

from what I have seen she is on mildronate it is also know as meldonium and it is on the new banned list as meldonium.

An article on The Sports Integrity Initiative website has more

"In a press conference (video below), Sharapova said that she had been taking mildronate since 2006 on the advice of her doctor for health issues including magnesium deficiency, an irregular heartbeat, and a family history of diabetes. She also took full responsibility for her positive test."

I don't recall reading about Sharapova's health problems previously. However, the article says that the drug is not used to treat these conditions.

"Mildronate is another name for meldonium, which in September 2015 was added to the 2016 WADA Prohibited List, after WADA found â€˜evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance’. It is an anti-ischemic drug used to treat restrictions in blood supply to tissues, such as in cases of angina and heart failure. It is therefore understood to also be able to increase the supply of oxygen-carrying red blood cells to muscle tissue." 

It sounds a like EPO!

"It is manufactured in Latvia and is used in Lithuania and the Russian Federation, but is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in the United States, where Sharapova has lived since the age of seven. Although the substance is not widely available, you can buy it on Amazon. It featured in Hajo Seppelt’s latest documentary, broadcast on Sunday, which mentioned a 2015 study in which 724 of 4,316 Russian athletes (17%) were found to have meldonium in their system. In another 2015 study, it was found in 182 of 8,230 athletes (2.2%)."

So abuse is widespread in Russia where there is a huge doping problem amongst its athletes. Why did Sharapova's doctor prescribe a drug that is not approved by the FDA. There are plenty of approved drugs that available in America to treat her alleged health problems.

"Under the Prohibited List, Meldonium is considered a non-specified substance, which means that there is no non-doping explanation for having the substance in an athlete’s system. The standard ban under the World Anti-Doping Code is four years which, as Sharapova has been dogged by injuries, could mean the end of her career. Sharapova therefore pleaded for leniency in her sanctioning. “I don’t want my career to end this way, and I really hope that I will be given another chance to play this gameâ€, she said.

Four years sounds right to me but tennis has a history of denial, leniency and cover-ups when dealing with doping. The authorities will probably accept her excuses and I'd be surprised if she gets over a year.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

On a more serious point,sharapova,woods,armstrong all with the same sportswear brand #justdoit

Interesting that Nike have suspended their contract with Sharapova immediately whereas they clung on as long as possible to Armstrong and still pay Gatlin.

It looks like an incredibly well choreographed announcement to me. There will have been talks already and Sharapova knows what punishment she's going to get. "Sorry, Maria. We need folk to forget about the whole match fixing thing. You were due to retire anyway."