The All New 2016 MLB Thread

lichtie23

Nobody is forcing you to waste your time discussing us either. 

As for the NL, I'll be very surprised if the Giants don't progress and even if they don't, starting a series against the Cubs with Colon & Gsellman isn't ideal.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apologies for invading this thread as I know sod all about baseball. Next week I'm going to Toronto with my brother and we've bought tickets for the game on Sunday incase the Blue Jays get there (we get our money back if we don't so all good).

Two questions:

1. What are the chances of the Blue Jays making it through tomorrow?

2. Are there any UK betting sites where I can take advantage of the sure thing that the Blue Jays will lose now we've bought tickets? Most of the big ones only seem to offer odds for Thursday onwards.

Atmosphere was brilliant in Toronto last night....you'll love it. Even if youre not a fan or know the game inside out its still a great experince. Orioles player almost hit by drink container as he went for a catch at the fence. Surprised it doesn't happen more often actually.

19 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Atmosphere was brilliant in Toronto last night....you'll love it. Even if youre not a fan or know the game inside out its still a great experince. Orioles player almost hit by drink container as he went for a catch at the fence. Surprised it doesn't happen more often actually.

Aye, I'm jealous as hell as I think it will be a fantastic occasion bearing in mind the bad blood last year. I saw the Blue Jays play the Marlins at the Skydome last year, was a great experience despite being a fairly run of the mill match.

Ended up getting tickets midway through the first inning last night. Throat is destroyed today.

Blue Jays fans usually complain about Gibbons being terrible (especially wrt bullpen management) but Showalter not bringing Britton into the game is just a colossal f**k up.

Can't wait for games against Texas. Guaranteed to kick off!

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Maybe it's because I grew watching football where throwing stuff on the pitch would be considered minor crowd trouble but I seemed to have a total different attitude to the incident than my Canadian friends and most people here in general. I thought it was kind of amusing when it happened, everyone else seemed horrified, ban him for life, jail him etc (considering they didn't seem to catch the offender, seems a little sexist presuming it was a man) The Orioles manager in the press conference afterwards didn't seem overly bothered when asked about it.

I did enjoy reading various comments sections on baseball sites after the game, mostly bitter hurting Baltimore and Texas fans talking about how classless Jays fans are and how last year 'a baby was hit in the head by a beer bottle', yeah never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

10 hours ago, ScottyB said:

Ended up getting tickets midway through the first inning last night. Throat is destroyed today.

Blue Jays fans usually complain about Gibbons being terrible (especially wrt bullpen management) but Showalter not bringing Britton into the game is just a colossal f**k up.

Can't wait for games against Texas. Guaranteed to kick off!

I can't believe it's a year since they faced off in that incredible game 5. Couldn't believe Hamels' bad luck.

14 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I must admit, the thought of playing the Giants in this series scares the shit out of me. If any team knows how to drag themselves through October, it's them.

I would like to think the Cubs Giants series draws a huge audience.  The best team in the regular season against the scrappiest team in play off baseball in recent history.  Brilliant series.  Kind of outshines the Dodgers/Nats series, even though those teams have some great players (Will Kershaw step up, as he conspicuously has failed to do?  Will the Nats cope without their ace?) and finished with better records than the Giants.

I read somewhere that the tried-and-tested "unlikely hero routine" has started already.  Give the ball to Bumgarner, Cueto or Moore for seven innings, throw in a walk or an error, and some unknown weirdo with about seven career big league starts at a .200 BA will end up crushing the ball 400 feet.  My concern for the Cubs is that in 2014 the Giants were the outsider in every single series and won them all.  The Cubs should win, if it comes down to the bats.  

I guess it comes down to whether you think October play off is down to good fortune or to skill and good management.  Okay, anyone can give Bumgarner the ball, but having Conor Gillaspie smack the ball that distance off a guy who had given up one home run all season....

Another ludicrous Bumgarner stat: He has pitched 23 consecutive innings in games the Giants had to win to avoid elimination.  His era?  0.  I've heard it said that "clutch" is a myth.  I tend to disagree.

Exciting times.  The American League's time to shine first up.

Game 1 this afternoon for the Jays and the main headlines here are still about the beer thrower, one guy already found guilty by twitter, even though people said it was a woman.
Anyways, the 4.40 start time is shite but I guess the Red Sox-Racists game is a bigger draw for tv.

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I read somewhere that the tried-and-tested "unlikely hero routine" has started already.  Give the ball to Bumgarner, Cueto or Moore for seven innings, throw in a walk or an error, and some unknown weirdo with about seven career big league starts at a .200 BA will end up crushing the ball 400 feet.  My concern for the Cubs is that in 2014 the Giants were the outsider in every single series and won them all.  The Cubs should win, if it comes down to the bats. 

Someone just seems to step up every time.

Edgar Rentaria had been absolutely terrible for his entire spell with the Giants, but here comes WS 2010 game 7 and he's hitting a home run off of Cliff Lee to win it all.
Cody Ross gets picked up off waivers primarily to save the Padres getting him, and he almost single-handedly wins the NLCS.
Scutaro...Ishikawa....it just happens every time.
Even on the pitching side, in the 2014 NLDS, game 2 went to extras (18 innings in total) against Washington, and Yusmeiro Petit came in and threw a 6 inning shoutout.

The Cubs are undoubtedly the favourites for the NLDS series, though.
I'd be confident in Cueto, Bumgarner and Moore/Samardzija to take on anyone, but will they get enough run support against Lester, Arrieta and Hendricks?
If the Giants can get back to SF with the series at 1-1 I like our chances.

8 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Blue Jays up 5-0 in the 3rd....Texas crowd pathetically quiet.

7-0 now booooooooooooo......sounds like St Mirren fans in the crowd:lol:

Cole Hamels threw absolute garbage on the big stage.  

On 10/5/2016 at 19:07, David W said:

I can't believe it's a year since they faced off in that incredible game 5. Couldn't believe Hamels' bad luck.

Well the Rangers defence picked up right where they left off in Game 5! Hamels was pretty poor and struggled with command.

Estrada was absolutely dominant. Incredible to think he's played through this season with a herniated disk in his back.

Archived